Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house in a new estate today?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

rob316 wrote: »
    Cousin both a house in a very well to do part of Cork back in 2007, 750k he paid for the house. The crash happened, the developer owed fees to the council so gave up a load of houses in this estate to them. It's absolutely overrun with teenage gangs now and incidents from there are on social media regularly.
    Makes him feel sick how hard he worked to live in the nicest area and people were handed out these mansions who have no respect for their neighbours or area.

No offense Rob but buying a house in 2007 Cork for 3/4 of a million is madness. As is buying right before Brexit I might add.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The reason you choose not to live on an estate is that there may be some snobs on it?

I dont believe that my friend!

Snobs are horrible to live beside.

They're the ones whose curtains are constantly twitching day and night, who watch all their neighbours on the road coming and going. They're the ones who harass kids for playing or kicking a ball around, teenagers for "hanging out" and police who can parking on the public road outside their houses - usually hogging any available space. They usually like to think they have some kind of say over how their neighbours keep their gardens, or the colour they choose to paint their houses. Worst of all, they think they have some kind of right to a say over who lives next door to them, or on the same road as them, and will be heard constantly moaning about property prices.

Snobs can make life every bit as unbearable as the biggest scumbag, as they can be every bit as anti-social to try and live beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KiraNerys wrote: »
    Most social tenants are perfectly nice people from various backgrounds, the only thing they have in common is that they can't afford to buy their own homes. This can be for many different reasons. To call them all feral and scum and idle is just your nasty prejudice, its not based on reality.

calling them all feral and scum is for the most part quite wrong, its not a majority engage in violence and that kind of behaviour.

However idle, with 63% of them only having an income from social welfare and less than 10% working full time, for the most part saying that....in an 'economically idle' way is....correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KiraNerys

calling them all feral and scum is for the most part quite wrong, its not a majority engage in violence and that kind of behaviour.

However idle, with 63% of them only having an income from social welfare and less than 10% working full time, for the most part saying that....in an 'economically idle' way is....correct...

Source for those numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some per cent of people in social housing are over 60 retired , some are on disability allowance .
    i lived on a council estate ,90 per cent of houses have 1 or 2 cars parked in the drive way , so there must be at least one or 2 persons in the house working .
    someone on the dole on 200 euro per week cannot afford to buy a car
    or pay insurance and road tax.
    1000,s of people on on welfare since covid, most cafes closed down,
    hotels are getting no business from tourists .
    theatres and cinema,s are closed .

Since 2000 dublin city council have sold off 90 per cent of the houses they own to former tenants ,anyone who had the income or money to buy a house would buy it.
    i go to council estates , 95 per cent of the houses are now owned by the person living there .

i think the price the council pays for a new house is 250k or 300k max.
    The council owns land that they can give to builders to build new estates on.
    if the council gives a large site to a private builder they would get
    a discount on the price of the house,s they choose to buy .
    The council also gives land to charitys to build social housing on.

The crash in 2007 was caused by people in suits , bankers who were
    stupid and selfish and wanted a large bonus so they went crazy giving out loans, ah sure we,ll give 200k to joe working in tesco to buy a
    1 bed apartment in cork,
    theres no way house prices might fall by 50 per cent in one year.

it cost 200 billion to rescue the banks from the crash.
    the crash was not caused by anyone on social welfare .
    the crash was also caused by highly paid regulators civil servants who were not doing
    their job .
    it was not caused by joe bloggs on welfare .
    we are still paying off that 200 billion loan from the eu central bank .
    meanwhile the bankers and civil servants are retired on large pensions .
    Say a single mother has 2 kids .if she works full time in a shop ,
    she pays tax, she has to pay for childcare ,she has to travel to work and pay for lunch.
    After paying childcare and expense,s and tax she might end up working
    for 40 or 50 euro per week.
    She will have to pay a higher rate of rent to the council as rent is based on your income.
    so most single mothers end up staying at home and not working for the first 5 years after they have a child .

Most people on welfare cannot afford to buy a house ,they pay rent based on their income .they are just ordinary people .

working people do awful things, in the last month it was found large banks are sending money to the mafia , north korea, drug dealers, laundering money for well known criminals ,i dont think theres any bankers who are on welfare payments .

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/north-korean-hackers-linked-to-cosmos-bank-heist/articleshow/66056859.cms?from=mdr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You may call social welfare recipients feral or scum but let's not forget that it was working professionals who saddled every Irish man woman and child with huge debt.

The ironing is delicious with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They're the ones whose curtains are constantly twitching day and night, who watch all their neighbours on the road coming and going. They're the ones who harass kids for playing or kicking a ball around, teenagers for "hanging out" and police who can parking on the public road outside their houses - usually hogging any available space. They usually like to think they have some kind of say over how their neighbours keep their gardens, or the colour they choose to paint their houses. Worst of all, they think they have some kind of right to a say over who lives next door to them, or on the same road as them, and will be heard constantly moaning about property prices.

Snobs can make life every bit as unbearable as the biggest scumbag, as they can be every bit as anti-social to try and live beside.

Bullsh1t

you can ignore snobs , you cant ignore scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭highdef

Going by your post, I'd have a snob next door no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 galway_cowboy

We bought our first home last year. Did not risk buying in a new estate, I think you'd have to be mad to. The amount of horror stories from friends and families I've heard, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I agree theres an element of risk, you buy a house for 250k plus in a new estate ,most of the houses are empty.
    you do not know will i be living next door to a local authority house .
    If you buy in an old estate ,you can drive around in the morning, or at 8pm,
    is the area noisey , is there a crowd of teens hanging out on the corner every night .
    You can get info on the neighbours, if theres 2 expensive cars in the driveway those people are probably working full time .
    i think it easier to buy an old house even though it wont have the modern high spec design and layout of an new building .
    i understand there may be some financial benefit or tax break if you buy a
    new house in a new estate .
    If you want to live in certain area,s the no of old houses for sale may be very limited ,or else very expensive.
    in some area,s a new 3 bed house may be cheaper to buy than a 50 year
    old house with no driveway and no back garden .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KiraNerys wrote: »
    Source for those numbers?

Ill grab it later and entertain this because youre new here but ove posted those stats from the housing authority multiple times, theyre correct and its from the irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

The problem is now any new development is qp% straight to the council, cluid might buy more . Theres one estate in kilcock where they waited till 40% was sold and cluid bought the rest so theres 40-50 couples paid over 350k for a house to be surrounded by mostly unemployed people paying 30 a week to be there, when their kids start being teens itll be like living in a lebanon warzone

Which estate was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

...wrong thread

Advertisement