Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement thermostat, & maybe radiator TRV

• 03-10-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for advice on a smart thermostat.

This is what I have currently.
    528231.jpg

The 2 switches to the right are the zones. One for the bedrooms, one for the rest of the house.

I have oil central heating. If I turn the heat on with both switches off, it heats the water only.

I'm kinda aware of Nest, Hive etc but from what I can see they are used to control the house overall temperature to a set level. I'm not really looking for that, I literally just want a smart version of that thermostat and preferably the 2 switches, so I can adjust the timers and turn the heat on or off remotely.

Same as a basic WiFi plug that allows you to turn power off or on remotely, I just want to be able to take control of the heat. These days we have the oil on a timer to come on in the morning and evening but if we happen to be coming home early and want to turn it on sooner, or if we're not going to be home and want to turn it off, I just want that control.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭championc

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Looking for advice on a smart thermostat.

This is what I have currently.
    528231.jpg

The 2 switches to the right are the zones. One for the bedrooms, one for the rest of the house.

I have oil central heating. If I turn the heat on with both switches off, it heats the water only.

I'm kinda aware of Nest, Hive etc but from what I can see they are used to control the house overall temperature to a set level. I'm not really looking for that, I literally just want a smart version of that thermostat and preferably the 2 switches, so I can adjust the timers and turn the heat on or off remotely.

Same as a basic WiFi plug that allows you to turn power off or on remotely, I just want to be able to take control of the heat. These days we have the oil on a timer to come on in the morning and evening but if we happen to be coming home early and want to turn it on sooner, or if we're not going to be home and want to turn it off, I just want that control.

Hey Phil

Take a close look at Tado. It's very good IMO.
    See the following post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113756725&postcount=1942

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ps I meant smart timer clock, not thermostat.

I'll check out that link.

Ps I meant smart timer clock, not thermostat.

I'll check out that link.

Tado allows you to set TRV's to particular temperatures at specific times of the day, and even turn them off. And you can have a different schedule for every day of the week if you want.

The Smart Thermostat can be set in exactly the same way. Overall, you get incredible control. So I turn off the conservatory rad at night, and the sitting room generally during the morning and afternoon. Bedrooms might only be on for 30 mins in the morning and then in the later evening. Everything can be set via their app.

My next bill should be interesting

Problem is I would need WiFi TRVs for what you're describing wouldn't I? I don't, and haven't got the budget for it right now.

All I want is the exact same basic functions I have via the Drayton time clock and the 2 switches, but over WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Type 901

Only starting down this road myself, but the home heating automation thread here has been very useful.

Drayton Wiser system was suggested to me as one option. Given your current control is Drayton the mounting panel is likely the same and if your wiring is right the new wiser control panel would only need to clipped on to the existing mount. Currently €207 in screwfix. Would also give you two wireless stats for the two zones and potential in future to add TRVs.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/drayton-heating-hot-water-3-channel-wiser-thermostat-control-kit/4081v#

Threads relating to home lighting automation might also have some information on smart switches if control over the 2 gang switch is only needed.

• Advertisement

Thanks Type 901

The Drayton looks suitable, although I'd prefer something that will integrate with the Smartthings app.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

if you're handy with your electrics you could try this combo:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001132586453.html - choose the UK 2 Gang to replace your double switch $17
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33039080595.html - I think the wifi gas boiler one should suit your task $38 (it is simply a thermostat to trip the boiler on and off )

total - $55 approx EUR47

Problem is I would need WiFi TRVs for what you're describing wouldn't I? I don't, and haven't got the budget for it right now.

All I want is the exact same basic functions I have via the Drayton time clock and the 2 switches, but over WiFi.

The Tado Extension Kit would (or should) clip straight into the backplate of your existing Drayton Controller. The Extension kit will then control both your water and heating. But you'll need the Smart Thermostat too, which has then the advantage of being able to operate wirelessly, which may allow it to be placed in a more suitable location (like the living room rather than the hallway)

EDIT: Since you seem to only have Heating control via that Drayton Controller, you could simply control the Heating from a Tado Smart Thermostat. It can control the On/Off as well as variable temperatures at different times of the day - provided your existing Thermostat is wired.

It can be wireless when linked to the Extension Kit

championc wrote: »
    provided your existing Thermostat is wired.

I don't have an existing thermostat!

I don't have an existing thermostat!

Ok, so you have choices so. You could just run new cable(s) to a location for a Room Stat and install a Smart Thermostat, or go with an Extension Kit connected to the existing backplate, and then site the Smart Thermostat in a suitable location. You could then periodically add Smart TRV's to give Smart Control to individual rooms

• Advertisement

Ok, so you have choices so. You could just run new cable(s) to a location for a Room Stat and install a Smart Thermostat, or go with an Extension Kit connected to the existing backplate, and then site the Smart Thermostat in a suitable location. You could then periodically add Smart TRV's to give Smart Control to individual rooms

This all sounds expensive. I just changed 2 standard timer plugs for smart ones for €30.

I had hoped that there would be a basic smart timer clock without major surgery. I have no interest in running cables or adding thermostats at this point.

This all sounds expensive. I just changed 2 standard timer plugs for smart ones for €30.

I had hoped that there would be a basic smart timer clock without major surgery. I have no interest in running cables or adding thermostats at this point.

Well the boiler needs power, so maybe just leave all the other stuff in place and stick a three pin plug on the cable connecting the boiler to the mains, and plug it into a smart socket / thru plug

But you maybe should look at the bigger picture - to optimize your whole boiler setup. Do it right and, apart from saving money on your annual heating bill, you'll end up with a far more comfortable and balanced home

Well the boiler needs power, so maybe just leave all the other stuff in place and stick a three pin plug on the cable connecting the boiler to the mains, and plug it into a smart socket / thru plug

But you maybe should look at the bigger picture - to optimize your whole boiler setup. Do it right and, apart from saving money on your annual heating bill, you'll end up with a far more comfortable and balanced home

To be honest it's a combination of cost and hassle. Not only did I shell out for solar a few months ago, but we started renovating the bedroom and ensuite in March and due to Covid we're only getting wrapped up now. So apart from being skint, I'm also sick of the sight of tradesmen...

One for the future. Smart plug on the boiler sounds like a good bet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

If its just a switch you want, something like this would work? You may need two of them to replace the double gang?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PYWFKDY/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_EtruEb7ZH38A7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Where are those controls located? If its in a main room (sitting room, etc) I think you should be able to just replace the timer with a smart thermostat like the Tado and you're set. The zone switches would be handled separately but you could leave it as is for now. You can add in more stuff later when you have the will again.
    We moved from analog timer to Tado recently in the manner I described. The wiring should be straight forward enough to do yourself. Our control was in one of the main living rooms though so it's fine to use that as our temperature control point

Did you see the option I posted?

... I said ‘thermostat’ but the unit is a thermostat/timer so you can ignore the thermostat part of it and use it as a timer.

I’d be very surprised if you can find simpler and cheaper...

comput1 wrote: »
    Did you see the option I posted?

... I said ‘thermostat’ but the unit is a thermostat/timer so you can ignore the thermostat part of it and use it as a timer.

I’d be very surprised if you can find simpler and cheaper...

The Aliexpress one? I don't use that site I'm afraid. Cheap Chinese crap as far as the eye can see.

Thanks for the suggestion, but not for me.

The Aliexpress one? I don't use that site I'm afraid. Cheap Chinese crap as far as the eye can see.

Thanks for the suggestion, but not for me.

Sonoff have a decent enough reputation in IOT circles, Aliexpress is a market place not a manufacturer. Best of luck with your project.

Quick question on this, would the boiler be suitable for a standard 3-pin plug? Aren't there amp limits?

Quick question on this, would the boiler be suitable for a standard 3-pin plug? Aren't there amp limits?

The boiler would surely be barely drawing 500w at most. What's to power only a pump and some electronics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Is it not plugged in with a standard plug already?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Is it not plugged in with a standard plug already?

No its wired into a fused spur I believe.

Well since you have the MyEnergi app, look at the house usage, and then turn the heating on. Possibly no more that 200watt jump

More questions on this, although we're veering into a different forum...

Pics below (excuse the delightful orange colouring, the boiler is fitted in the garage alongside a water filtration system to treat high iron in the well. A previous leak (now resolved) left the plugs that colour.

528763.jpg

528762.jpeg

So there are 2 pumps, and the boiler itself. The question is, what does the time clock in the kitchen control? If I turn the clock to on, the oil burner and both pumps power up. But if I turn the fused switch off and kill the boiler, the 2 pumps still run.

So if I put the boiler on a smart switch and leave the time clock on, then when the boiler is off, the pumps will still run.

So do I need to plug all 3 into a 3 gang adaptor and plug that in via the smart plug?

So do I need to plug all 3 into a 3 gang adaptor and plug that in via the smart plug?

That certainly seems the sensible (and only) way to kill and control all 3

Advertisement