Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturing business/accounting/etc

Options
  • 03-10-2020 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I am a qualified chartered accountant working in a big 4 company. I have always wanted to get involved in teaching/lecturing in an institute, university or for aca, ACCA, cima in accounting, business, etc.

I was looking into completing a masters as I hear this is a minimum requirement, but as I already have the ACA qualification, any accounting masters I do is a lesser qualification than what I have (most masters in accounting = cap2 exams).

Does anyone have any tips or insights on what would be the best steps to get into this area of work? Can anyone share their career path and experiences? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Approach your nearest university for tutorial hours.

It’s a foot in the door and the experience will open more doors after a couple of years.
    Park the masters in the meantime. If you get offered a fixed term contract they will fund and encourage further education but it would be more likely a professional education diploma followed by a PHD than a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Consider Accounting Technicians Ireland too. They have programmes running all over the country but don't know with covid if they're all gone online now.

To thine own self be true

If you want to become full-time faculty in a university/IOT, I would skip the Masters and go straight to PhD. If you only want part-time work, you may get away with just the ACA. Finally, if you want to teach ACCA/ACA (i.e., professional rather than university-based teaching), the PhD will not be required, and it is just a matter of getting your foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Questions221

marizpan wrote: »
    Approach your nearest university for tutorial hours.

It’s a foot in the door and the experience will open more doors after a couple of years.
    Park the masters in the meantime. If you get offered a fixed term contract they will fund and encourage further education but it would be more likely a professional education diploma followed by a PHD than a masters.

Yeah I understand where your coming from, so hard to get your foot in the door for lecturing especially now that so many courses have gone online with 1 lecturer nationwide! Thanks for the reply

If you want to become full-time faculty in a university/IOT, I would skip the Masters and go straight to PhD. If you only want part-time work, you may get away with just the ACA. Finally, if you want to teach ACCA/ACA (i.e., professional rather than university-based teaching), the PhD will not be required, and it is just a matter of getting your foot in the door.

Yes I just feel with a PHD it would be 6 years part time, it is a long commitment for something I’m not guaranteed to get work in. A full time phd would me giving up work then which I don’t think I could afford. Thanks for the response

• Advertisement

Consider Accounting Technicians Ireland too. They have programmes running all over the country but don't know with covid if they're all gone online now.

Yes that is a good idea, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I would advise that this academic year and possibly the next isn’t an ideal time to be pursuing this route.
    No harm to reach out to them but don’t be disappointed if nothing comes of it.

I can’t highlight the importance of getting your foot in the door and gaining some practical experience/lecturing hours. No need to pursue a PHD on your own as it would be funded as part of your contract if you can secure one.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

https://publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=124328&campaignId=20198300

Might be useful to apply for this to see if you can get shortlisted or gain interview practice etc

Advertisement