Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Perspex up on table for Dinner

Options
  • 03-10-2020 11:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭

We need to protect the vulnerable yet we need to be together especially at Christmas, I feel the only safe way for my elderly parents is to use a separate side entrance door and screen them off at the dinner table.
    I was thinking of doing a full room screen off with separate table but feel I can safety have parents over with a table screen.
    How are others going to manage this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

I hear your concerns OP but this post has just put a nail in my heart.
    Ask them over, tell them you're putting up perspex, they'll still come. It's the stage we're at now:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Thanks for reply, we need to prepare and get real. The virus won’t disappear for Christmas.

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    We need to protect the vulnerable yet we need to be together especially at Christmas, I feel the only safe way for my elderly parents is to use a separate side entrance door and screen them off at the dinner table.
    I was thinking of doing a full room screen off with separate table but feel I can safety have parents over with a table screen.
    How are others going to manage this?

Granny and grandad eating dinner off a tray on their lap sitting on the couch. Rest of us eating at the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Granny and grandad eating dinner off a tray on their lap sitting on the couch. Rest of us eating at the table.

I'd do perspex faster than another room tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Will grandparents be eating food other family members have prepared and/or using the same bathroom as the rest of the family?

• Advertisement

I'd do perspex faster than another room tbh.

My house isn’t that big. We’ll all be in the one open plan kitchen/diner.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

On the basis this isn’t a joke, unless you are going to keep socially distant from parents for their entire visit, ensure the room is well ventilated with separate entrance and exit points, separate bathrooms ensure masks are worn when not eating and whoever preps the food does so to proper hygiene standards you are likely wasting your time. You also won’t be able to give them any presents, and how will you pass food to them if they are behind a screen?

If you are serious about bringing risk to zero for Christmas dinner, the obvious way is for you and all the other low risk people to isolate away from infection sources like shops, workplaces and schools for at least 10 days beforehand. Pull the kids out of school the week before, do all the shopping online, and skip the dinner out or the glass of wine with the neighbours on Christmas eve. That way you and the elderly relatives can relax, hug, chat, have dinner like they’re not getting a bank draft...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Well ventilated unless you have hvac that won’t happen. No one is going to have elderly people over with winter temperatures. Is the above post a joke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The insanity never ends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Indoors you have to bring on clean air
    leave windows open maybe buy 2 air purifiers also the bathroom is big place to catch. Serve only hot food only one person should serve food you could take every one's temputure on forehead when they arrive don't hand out gifts when not eating wear masks

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/8/19/21364031/coronavirus-air-purifiers-filter-hepa-merv-ventilation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Indoors you have to bring on clean air
    leave windows open maybe buy 2 air purifiers also the bathroom is big place to catch. Serve only hot food only one person should serve food you could take every one's temputure on forehead when they arrive don't hand out gifts when not eating wear masks

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/8/19/21364031/coronavirus-air-purifiers-filter-hepa-merv-ventilation

Lol. Leave windows open in December his parents will die of hypothermia before long they catch kung flu by following your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd make sure your parents want to call over on the day. I know some older people and they'd prefer there dinner dropped at their door and have a nice chat on the phone rather than a big fuss being made in somebody else's house with screens, masks, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

On the basis that this isn't a wind up, perspex, no more than face visor is of little to no use. If you have covid any visitors to your house are likely to pick it up from contaminated surfaces within the house. The only real way you could ensure they don't catch it in your house is to let them eat and remain in a room that has been vacant for at least three days. That they wash their hands regularly and those around them wear face coverings. In the context of a family Christmas, none of the above is realistic.

Perspex is window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Well ventilated unless you have hvac that won’t happen. No one is going to have elderly people over with winter temperatures. Is the above post a joke?

Are you not the original poster? Surely if anyone is joking it must be you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement