If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me upgrade my audio!

Options
  • 04-10-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭

Morning lads.

Need to do something about my "home cinema" setup. It does a job, but I'd like more.
    Problem is, I'm the only one in the house that has much interest (herself thinks it's crap, the kids think it's cool to have sound behind the couch!).

At the minute I have..
    LG OLED65C6 tv.
    2TB Sky box.
    An Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver (yeah, I'm that old!)
    An Arcam Solo Sub (that I bought from yourselves).
    5 little silver Sony cube speakers that were part of one of their all-in-one DAV systems from about a decade ago.

I've attached a crude sketch of the living room.
    Green is the OLED.
    Red is the sub.
    Orange is the speakers.
    Blue is the couch.

The centre speaker is sitting under the tv.
    The left and right speakers are sitting on stands.
    The rear left and right are on the ground behind the couch.

I've the Sky box HDMI'd to the OLED.
    I've the OLED optic'd to the Onkyo.
    The Onkyo wired to the 5.1, or vice versa!

We watch a lot of Netflix, and a lot of their stuff is Dolby Vision and/or Atmos. The tv seems capable of downgrading that audio to stereo (for listening through the OLED), or passing it to the Onkyo for 5.1 output.

So what do I do?
    Don't think I need to upgrade the OLED. Very happy with that.

Which leaves the audio.

Do I upgrade the amp and add 2no. Atmos speakers? Would rather not have to run a length of cable all the way around the room to get a rear Atmos speaker, so can you jusy add the front?

Or get rid of what I have and get a top notch Atmos soundbar? I'm assuming that, no matter how good a soundbar is, it'll never come close to a dedicated seperates system.

I know that's a big spiel, but hopefully ye'll know what I mean!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning lads.

Need to do something about my "home cinema" setup. It does a job, but I'd like more.
    Problem is, I'm the only one in the house that has much interest (herself thinks it's crap, the kids think it's cool to have sound behind the couch!).

At the minute I have..
    LG OLED65C6 tv.
    2TB Sky box.
    An Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver (yeah, I'm that old!)
    An Arcam Solo Sub (that I bought from yourselves).
    5 little silver Sony cube speakers that were part of one of their all-in-one DAV systems from about a decade ago.

I've attached a crude sketch of the living room.
    Green is the OLED.
    Red is the sub.
    Orange is the speakers.
    Blue is the couch.

The centre speaker is sitting under the tv.
    The left and right speakers are sitting on stands.
    The rear left and right are on the ground behind the couch.

I've the Sky box HDMI'd to the OLED.
    I've the OLED optic'd to the Onkyo.
    The Onkyo wired to the 5.1, or vice versa!

We watch a lot of Netflix, and a lot of their stuff is Dolby Vision and/or Atmos. The tv seems capable of downgrading that audio to stereo (for listening through the OLED), or passing it to the Onkyo for 5.1 output.

So what do I do?
    Don't think I need to upgrade the OLED. Very happy with that.

Which leaves the audio.

Do I upgrade the amp and add 2no. Atmos speakers? Would rather not have to run a length of cable all the way around the room to get a rear Atmos speaker, so can you jusy add the front?

Or get rid of what I have and get a top notch Atmos soundbar? I'm assuming that, no matter how good a soundbar is, it'll never come close to a dedicated seperates system.

I know that's a big spiel, but hopefully ye'll know what I mean!
    Hi Soarer,

Thanks for the post and sorry for the delay getting back to you!

Upgrading the amp and adding Atmos speakers would be a great way to go! A separates system will always be better for surround as it doesn't have to bounce sound around the environment, the speakers are physically there!

What I would actually recommend is maybe upgrading the amp and your fronts as this will give the biggest improvement in the sound as it would seriously beef up the main channels!

I would look at something like the new Denon AVRX2700 along with a pair of bookshelf speakers like the new Monitor Audio Bronze 50! You can build up your system as you go, including adding two Atmos speakers that can sit on the top of the bookshelf speakers!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14159-denon-avrx2700-black-dolby-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204718-monitor-audio-bronze-50-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204730-monitor-audio-bronze-c150-black-single-centre-speaker.aspx

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks Dave.

Probably just gonna stick with the amp at the minute. Herself would blow a fuse if I started introducing bookshelf speakers again! I might pick up a couple of Atmos speakers though, with a few metres of (cheap) cable.
    How long would I be waiting for delivery?

Thanks Dave.

Probably just gonna stick with the amp at the minute. Herself would blow a fuse if I started introducing bookshelf speakers again! I might pick up a couple of Atmos speakers though, with a few metres of (cheap) cable.
    How long would I be waiting for delivery?
    Hi Soarer.

For the Atmos speakers we have the Elac Debut A4 priced at £199 - I could offer these to you for £175
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203404-elac-debut-a4-mk2-atmos-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Speaker calbe there is the Symphony 100 priced at £1.19 per meter.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-900187-cambridge-audio-symphony-100-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

Delivery would be 2-3 days :)

Let us know your thoughts.

Kenny.

Morning lads. The more I learn, the less I know! :o 

I think I decided on the Denon 2700.

Next thing is the speakers.
    I can't really go for the bookshelf type, as herself won't go for them. I need something small and discreet. I've attached an image of the rubbish speakers I'm currently using. Need something along those lines.

So I was looking at maybe the Q7000 speakers.

But then saw the package you have with the 2700 and the Monitor Audio Mass II speakers, but I know nothing about those Monitors or how they compare to the Q7000. I assume the Q's are a better speaker?

Finally I saw you've the 2700 and Monitor package with 2 extra speakers, and I was thinking that might work for Atmos? But when I look at the terminals at the back of the 2700, I don't see anything marked for the Atmos output. Now I'm utterly confused as to how Atmos is output!
    I would've assumed there'd be extra outputs for each Atmos channel, just like each 5.1? And I could've pointed the two extra speakers upwards to give some sort of Atmos soundfield?

Like I said, the more I learn....

Morning lads. The more I learn, the less I know! :o 

I think I decided on the Denon 2700.

Next thing is the speakers.
    I can't really go for the bookshelf type, as herself won't go for them. I need something small and discreet. I've attached an image of the rubbish speakers I'm currently using. Need something along those lines.

So I was looking at maybe the Q7000 speakers.

But then saw the package you have with the 2700 and the Monitor Audio Mass II speakers, but I know nothing about those Monitors or how they compare to the Q7000. I assume the Q's are a better speaker?

Finally I saw you've the 2700 and Monitor package with 2 extra speakers, and I was thinking that might work for Atmos? But when I look at the terminals at the back of the 2700, I don't see anything marked for the Atmos output. Now I'm utterly confused as to how Atmos is output!
    I would've assumed there'd be extra outputs for each Atmos channel, just like each 5.1? And I could've pointed the two extra speakers upwards to give some sort of Atmos soundfield?

Like I said, the more I learn....
    Hi Soarer.

Both the Monitor Audio Mass and Q7000 packs are fantastic!!

The bundle deal for the 2700 and Mass 5.1 is very very good indeed.
    The Mass 5.1 retails at £549 and the 2700 at £599 so the saving its outstanding!!!!

Then the Bundle which adds in the two CSS230 in-ceiling speakers for Atmos is also one heck of a deal. These retail at £249 per speaker.

Or with the extra two Mass speakers again also a great deal at £999. The Mass speaker for Atmos would need mounted on teh wall and face dowwards into the room.
    The only ones that can be set at normal listening height are the upward firing ones like the Elac I mentioned above.
    The link below shows all the possible setup and locations for speakers, Click the link and then click speaker installation on the left hand side:
    http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2700H/NA/EN/DRDZSYpvilxnds.php

This will give you a very good insight into how the speaker configuration works for each ssetup.

The Q7000i plus pack also very good but I feel the Monitor Audio is by far the better deal.
    For the 2700 with the Q7000i pack you would be looking at £1189.00
    To add an extra Two Q7000i speaker for Atmos would be an extra £199.00

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

• Advertisement

Afternoon lads.

Is it possible get the MASS II and 2700 package with the white speakers/sub?

Also, is there a matching (cheap) stand? Or are they silly money?

Thanks.

Afternoon lads.

Is it possible get the MASS II and 2700 package with the white speakers/sub?

Also, is there a matching (cheap) stand? Or are they silly money?

Thanks.
    Hi Soarer.

Thanks for coming back to us.

I can indeed offer the Mass 5.1 in the white finish on the same deal with the 2700.
    It's a great combo at a crazy price.

The Mass stands are a little expensive but they are designed for the Mass speakers and a normal stand doesn't really fit them
    They are currently priced at £99 per pair but I could discount them down to £80 if that is of any help?
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203922-monitor-audio-mass-stands-white-per-pair.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

Can you drop them to £150 for 2 pairs, and I'll take them?

Can you drop them to £150 for 2 pairs, and I'll take them?
    Hey Soarer.

You've twisting my arm :)

I'll go to the £150 for the two pairs for you.

If you want to proceed drop me over your full name and address and a contact number in a PM and I can give you a call to finalise the order.

Kenny.

PM sent to David's account!

• Advertisement

PM sent to David's account!
    Cheers Soarer :)

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.