Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend winter gloves

Options
  • 04-10-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Any recommendations for winter gloves, have a pair of altura ones that make my hands sweat profusely.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Moved to main forum, makes more sense. Aldi ones are sized small but less than 7euro and I find them fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

If you want gloves for the coldest weather you won't do better than these https://galibier.cc/product/barrier-black/
    I have used them for the last few winters and my hands are toasty without any sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I actually have both of the above - the Galibier are best for the really coldest weather, the Sealskins get more wear I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

rayman1 wrote: »
    If you want gloves for the coldest weather you won't do better than these https://galibier.cc/product/barrier-black/
    I have used them for the last few winters and my hands are toasty without any sweating.

They're great when it's dry. They're a pure disaster when they get wet.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »

What about the waterproof claim? How does that hold up? Are they waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use DHB Extreme Winter Gloves. They keep my hands nice and warm but as the temperature dips below 3 or 4 degrees my hands start to feel cold - especially if the wind is against me (it always is!). I don't go out in below zero or with icy roads so I don't really have any need for anything that keeps out sub zero temperatures.

Another plus is that the lining doesn't pull inside out as you take them off.

My current pair are five years old and while they've served me well, they are now up for replacement as the lining has collapsed. I'll buy the same again as they perform really well and are good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I really suffer from cold hands in winter and have tried many a pair including galibier which I find cold in low temps. The best for me are these Planet X crab gloves - cheap and toasty https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BN91HDFASC/planet-x-hands-up-bundle
    Not the best in rain either but yet to find the perfect wet cold gloves. Layering up under a size up glove is another good approach

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I went through a phase of trying to get the best winter gloves for my year round commute. The best ones I found were Specialized Deflect H2O Therminal Winter Gloves. Fantastic in winter, when it gets warmer I drop back to my sealskins. But the winter ones were use in below zero temperatures without problems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've poor circulation - I've found layers more important than what the top layer is. I toyed with the Dissent 133 system, but tbh a couple of liner gloves under any winter glove has done the job and haven't managed to justify the cost of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tried my new neoprene gloves from Aldi on a very cold morning last week and my hands were nice and toasty from the minute I left the house to when I got to work, very happy so far anyway. I doubt you'll find them in any shop now though, they were fairly cleared out on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

G1032 wrote: »
    What about the waterproof claim? How does that hold up? Are they waterproof?
    Sealskinz 'water repellent' gloves are utterly useless in wet weather. The repel the rain for about 5 seconds. The 'waterproof' ones may be better.

(It's difficult for any glove to be waterproof though as they all have a major flaw - that large opening at your wrist).

Sealskinz 'water repellent' gloves are utterly useless in wet weather. The repel the rain for about 5 seconds. The 'waterproof' ones may be better.

(It's difficult for any glove to be waterproof though as they all have a major flaw - that large opening at your wrist).

LOL. Agreed. But what p!sses me off with "waterproof" gloves is when they leak through the fingers long before any water gets in at the wrist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Standard glove with a surgical glove as a liner in wet weather. It works a treat for me as I'm not a fan of bulky gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

The last waterproof pair i got kept the rain out but my hands were still soaking from the sweat , they were lined with a plastic/ rubbery/ latex type of layer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    Standard glove with a surgical glove as a liner in wet weather. It works a treat for me as I'm not a fan of bulky gloves.
    I've been doing that for years even though most people scoff at it saying it couldn't work.
    secman wrote: »
    The last waterproof pair i got kept the rain out but my hands were still soaking from the sweat , they were lined with a plastic/ rubbery/ latex type of layer :(
    My winter commuting gloves are like that - they have some sort of plastic layer in them. The major disadvantage is that they have to be washed regularly - otherwise they begin to stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dahat wrote: »

latex gloves - is that not very sweaty?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

loyatemu wrote: »
    latex gloves - is that not very sweaty?

Non latex nitrile gloves to be exact.

Advertisement