Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What aspects of life are you really missing because of Covid

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I've been over to the Netherlands and had no issue with travelling there and coming back to Ireland. Had no issue travelling around there either. The Dutch appeared to be getting on with their life's too. I'm going to Cologne soon enough too.
    Some of ye are actually waiting for the Gardaí to come to your doors and tell ye that ye can travel or visit relatives.
    I couldn't give a flying Fcuk about what the gardai or government think or what I'd be allowed to do. Unfortunately though the combination of having family who would , you know like to accompany me on a family holiday who are at risk should they contract the virus and an education that allows me to base decisions on statistical risk and say no thanks, keeps us grounded for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

The only thing I really miss is seeing friends for nights out, lunches etc. and the few annual trips abroad. During the first lockdown, I missed being able to go to a beach for a walk or random days out.

I have actually loved WFH as I hate commuting and the general bollox of the office environment, got far more done WFH, had a lot more energy and saw my family a lot more. I've also just had a baby and it was so much easier not having to travel to work every day when pregnant.

With that said, if I wasn't pregnant this year, I'd probably be a full blown whino at this stage :D

I appreciate that people have found it a lot tougher, people living on their own or in house shares etc. and those who have lost jobs. But this way of life has suited my circumstances and mental health a lot more than pre covid life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I mainly miss being able to go the shops and take-away without any really thought that has to go into it now.(Yes, I know I've a boring life).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

bigpink wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worrying about property in Ireland at the moment

You'd be surprised at how many properties that we want to look at had sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you dont have to make excuses not to go to church

Church revenues must be in really bad shape but you don't hear much about that. Is the Vatican bank propping up our priests or are they on PUP?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just the lack of randomness, I find it all so regimented now. You meet someone out you can't shake there hand or give them a hug. I used to love going to the pub for the night but the fun is gone out of it, if I was doing it purely to drink alcohol I'll just sit at home and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The pre-pandemic normal is not likely to every return as after this crisis we will be rolling into the economic and climate crises.

If people think that these restrictions are bad, wait until the feel the pinch from the climate goals we've signed up to.

Except it isn't a respiratory virus (with normal morbidity and mortality) or CO2 emissions that turns people into collaborators with a regime of mass misery, super-atomisation and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

I miss my mother. I miss visiting her, I miss talking to her, I miss her smile.

Unfortunately, due to Covid, I will never see her again. For many of us who lost loved ones to this disease, the old normal will never return even when a vaccine is found, or restrictions are lifted, and day-to-day life resumes.

Respect the restrictions in place, wear a mask, wash your hands, maintain social distancing, even if you consider yourself to be healthy and minimally vulnerable.

As sad as your story is and I do empathise.... im sorry but we have to go back to normal. I lost my grandfather in April also from this ( he was 77) and im doubling down.I was all for lockdown around march to see the lay of the land and make a plan. This is not life. The median age of deaths is higher than the general life expectancy . The intangibles are mental health issues, suicides, economic ruination of families and businesses and our short to medium term futures are bleak. People don't want to have these difficult conversations but unfortunately you CAN put a price on old peoples lives and hospitals have been doing it in relation to whether a patient is worth treating or operation worthy since time immemorial.

Young people vote, pay tax and have to work to guarantee the pensions of all the other old people who survive this. Thats how society works. We cant suckle at the teet of the welfare state until a vaccine maybe comes. Cinemas are closing, bars are shutting, airlines are folding etc etc. If 99% of us don't die from this then 99% of us need to be back putting our shoulders to the wheel. Throw money at the vulnerable , but the rest of us need to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Young people can get the virus and pass it on to older people. Many young people live at home with parents.
    Many students are going to class online.
    Most of the cafes I used to go to are closed.
    I went to McDonald's. There seems to be only 3 people working there. No security. It used to be so busy all the time now it looks half empty I thínk many cafes will close , with many tables closed to provide space it ll be hard to make a profit
    Our hospitals have limited space and beds in icu.
    Our hospitals could not cope if 1000s of young people get the virus
    I missed going to cafes having breakfast inside going to the cinema or the library
    If you go around Dublin you'll see many old shops closing down . It's ok now but in a few weeks it will be too cold to sit outside for a meal or coffee
    There's no easy options for the government the only hope is there might be a vaccine discovered in a year' from now
    It's sad to walk down a street where most of the shops are closed
    Temple bar is very quiet with no tourists

I always attended gigs when I liked the group but Im going to make a bigger effort to attend live sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭4Ad

Live bands...esp These Charming Men..(The SmithsTribute Band)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I miss gigs, being affectionate with people, hugging people without thinking, having big things like a holiday or a festival to look forward to, just hopping on a bus to town for some shopping and grabbing a bit of lunch while there, getting glammed up for a special occasion, bumping into people, chatting to strangers at social events, having a group of people round for drinks etc.

I don’t miss commuting at rush hour in heavy traffic or being in the office full time.

I spent most of 2018 studying my ass off to finish my degree as a mature student while working full time followed by spending 2019 saving every cent I had towards a house purchase. I was only starting to get back to normal when all this hit. I’m at an age where everyone in my circle is properly settling down, so I’m worried that when the world does regain some normality, we will have missed that last burst of doing things in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yep for me it is the inability to be spontaneous like pre Covid times.

But I'll get over it. The reality is that I am not alone, and that is a comfort sometimes when I get a bit peed off. There is always someone in a worse space than me, and I am not being singled out either.

Wonder how this will pan (demic) out though. Seems endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Being able to hug my family without fear. Generally being able to spend unlimited time with loved ones without worry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

I miss the chance of meeting a woman on a night out in bar/club or even through work. Guess I'll be single until this ends. Suppose plenty are in the same boat, it's still ****e though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Spontaneity, the cinema, going to the zoo, family dinners, hugs, my partner who lives in a different county, weekend away

Everything. I miss everything. Covid has done a real number on me. I was in a shop earlier getting things for my dad because he has a hospital appointment coming up. I felt uncomfortable in the queue and I hated that I did. More than anything I want to live alongside this virus but I do get nervous.

People standing beside each other, strangers chatting on public transport, massive crowds at a festival, being handed your coffee by the person who just made it. Tiny little pieces of normality that involve other people. I struggle to get my head around not having that, being afraid of it.

The move to level 3 has me feeling like a weight is pressing on my chest because I'm trapped. Well it feels as though I am trapped. I want to visit my mam, I want to get the train again and go to Galway, I want to have a night out with my friends. The spontaneity and choice of life is gone.

And my heart breaks for those who are in challenging circumstances right now. I find it hard but I know I'm lucky. People who have lost loved ones because of Covid, those who have underlying conditions and are terrified, people who are healthy but are still terrified, people who are lonely, in abusive environments, and all the people who lived for travel and sport.

So it's not just one thing it's how life was. The only hope I have is that we will get it back. That's what keeps me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Everything.
    This version of life sucks for so many reasons.

Totally agree.

The fun has been sucked out of life. Longing for normal times again. When you can see your family and friends when you want, greet them with a hug, just wander into a pub when you feel like it and chat with a random stranger, book a cheap flight and land in some random place in Europe for the weekend, go to gigs or go watch a match.

Totally agree.

The fun has been sucked out of life. Longing for normal times again. When you can see your family and friends when you want, greet them with a hug, just wander into a pub when you feel like it and chat with a random stranger, book a cheap flight and land in some random place in Europe for the weekend, go to gigs or go watch a match.

Dunno is that was really that normal. More a sign of the country on a high. There were few people randomly jumping on weekend getaways after 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I miss being out and just popping in somewhere nice for lunch
    I miss my monthly dinner with four great friends .
    I miss wandering around a shopping centre and sitting down for a coffee without being nervous
    I miss bringing my grandchild to the arts and crafts and storytime in the library

But most of all i miss my daughter who is in the UK . She would normally come home every 4-6 weeks and hasn’t been home since February

But then I think of those in care homes who have no visitors , no activity and I just want to hug them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Like many, I miss the randomness of life. Monday to Friday, it's get up, sit at the kitchen table, work, collect the kids, get dinner, read or watch tv and go to bed. The bloody laptop is always in the background and because I'm struggling to stay motivated during the day, I feel like I owe my company time in the evenings. The laptop always there...like Big Brother.

I miss having stuff to look forward to. Holidays, going to football games, meeting up with my mates, bringing the kids places.

Life is a really tough struggle at the moment. Some days, I just really don't want to go through the same routine again. It's frustrating too because there is no one to blame for this. It's just a freak event that we can't negotiate or reason with and there is no end to it until we get a vaccine.

But I have a decent and secure job. I'm fairly healthy and I get to play golf and exercise fairly regularly. So I have things that some people don't have. I don't know how I'd cope if I'd lost my job, was watching my business fall apart through no fault of my own or was at serious risk of dying from a disease which I've almost forgotten about. In my world, the restrictions are just an impingement on my lifestyle, for some they are potentially life saving measures.

My life might be a bit **** but it could be a whole lot ****ter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Like many, I miss the randomness of life. Monday to Friday, it's get up, sit at the kitchen table, work, collect the kids, get dinner, read or watch tv and go to bed. The bloody laptop is always in the background and because I'm struggling to stay motivated during the day, I feel like I owe my company time in the evenings. The laptop always there...like Big Brother.

I miss having stuff to look forward to. Holidays, going to football games, meeting up with my mates, bringing the kids places.

Life is a really tough struggle at the moment. Some days, I just really don't want to go through the same routine again. It's frustrating too because there is no one to blame for this. It's just a freak event that we can't negotiate or reason with and there is no end to it until we get a vaccine.

But I have a decent and secure job. I'm fairly healthy and I get to play golf and exercise fairly regularly. So I have things that some people don't have. I don't know how I'd cope if I'd lost my job, was watching my business fall apart through no fault of my own or was at serious risk of dying from a disease which I've almost forgotten about. In my world, the restrictions are just an impingement on my lifestyle, for some they are potentially life saving measures.

My life might be a bit **** but it could be a whole lot ****ter.

Your life isn't even a bit sh..ite

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not up to you to judge that for anyonr else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Possibly not but everyone judges their own life according to their own problems. Life is ****e compared to the life I had before. Likewise, someone else's who has lost their job - you and I might think their life is ****e but go ask the fella in India who isn't getting a government payment each week and they'll tell you no one in Ireland has a ****e life.

There is a bunch of other stuff I haven't put in the post which might change your opinion as well. Believe me, my life is far from peachy even by Covid standards. But I also know that other people have it much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Most of all I miss travelling. It was what was keeping my days going, waiting for the next trip, planning it and seeing it coming true.
    Now this is gone forever.

I don't think we will ever go back to normal, because everything we will have in the future won't be the normal, it will be the new normal, it won't be the old normal that I would like to have.
    I will miss these years wasted, because there won't be vaccine or else that will give me back the time I have lost.

We will all live a new normal life, but we'll have this scar on us forever, a scar of sadness and depression that will linger over us forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's going to be a long month if lockdown restrictions increase.

I was mad to get out of the house yesterday, and there's very little to actually do when the weather is bad.
    Ended up going for a drive around town and the country.

Id say everyone else was in the same boat. People were queueing outside every shop in the retail park, in the rain. Every place with covered outdoor seating was full, and town just seemed packed.

When the temperature drops by 5 degrees in the next month, and we get a spell of bad weather, plug level 4/5 lockdown, people with have zero options to get out and about.

Advertisement