Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bronagh and BLM

Options
  • 04-10-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Trawling through the on line papers today I came across a headline in the Indo.
    It's a subscription article so I couldn't read more than a few lines.
    "Having to say black lives matter in 2020 breaks my heart". Bronagh.
    Would anyone who read the article tell me why it breaks her heart, and why her in particular that it merits an article?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is what is available
    Amid civil unrest, anarchy, violence and destruction, America is "unrecognisable" to Derry-born actress and singer Bronagh Gallagher.

Sitting in her home in a quiet suburb of Dublin, the 47-year-old, who appeared in Pulp Fiction and Star Wars, watches the anger in Donald Trump's America.

"They say the darkest hour comes before the dawn," said Gallagher. "That's what I have to say about Donald Trump.
    Every human being's heart is the same colour, but Trump brings out the worst in humankind.
    She blames Trump for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭J_M_G

She's almost certainly trying to conflate the Black Lives Matter movement with the reasonable statement that "black lives matter". The implication being that if you oppose the movement and organisation called Black Lives Matter, then you also believe that black lives do not matter.

It's the same old trick that media/government love to pull. Like the Patriot Act for example, that was introduced after 9/11 to erode civil liberties and grant the government far greater powers. If you opposed it, the implication was that you're not patriotic. And sure nobody wants to be called that.

Thank god these useless and subversive rags are going extinct. Given their current circulation numbers, they can't have more than a few years left. But I'm sure Bronagh, intrepid journalist that she is will simply set up a blog when she gets laid off and people will eagerly pay for her talented and insightful social commentary. That will definitely happen. Because she is talented. And insightful. And honest. She probably has a journalism degree too, maybe even a masters! So you know she's a great writer worth listening to AND paying for.

EDIT: Oh according to the post above she's a singer and actress too? Multi-talented! Now I really want to read her article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

J_M_G wrote: »
    It's the same old trick that media/government love to pull. Like the Patriot Act for example, that was introduced after 9/11 to erode civil liberties and grant the government far greater powers. If you opposed it, the implication was that you're not patriotic. And sure nobody wants to be called that.

Same tactic as Antifa too. "Antifa is just anti fascism, if you're against them you're a fascist".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

She was always sour looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Another bit part actress jumping on the Trump and BLM bandwagon.

The reality is it makes no difference to her sitting in her house in Dublin who the President of the Unites States is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why should some actress that no one has probably heard of in forever care who the president of america is?

Any publicity....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I loved her in every role she has done. Great actress. Even met her once.

Just wish she would take Gene Simmons advice
    I think celebrities should basically shut their pie holes and do what they do best—act, sing, tap dance... all that kind of stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It’s amazing how firmly she has her finger on the pulse of the current reality on the ground in the USA...

... from ‘her home in a quiet suburb of Dublin’ ...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We already have threads on BLM and Trump

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement