Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media and impact on mental health

Options
  • 04-10-2020 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

There have been studies showing that social media is having a significantly negative impact on the mental health of users, in particular those who are Millenials/Gen Z.

I'm a bit iffy about this. I don't doubt scientific articles but does anyone have anecdotes as to what it's doing? I wouldn't have any friends so no use for it really.

If this trend continues, will we see restrictions on social media for children like we see with advertising?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There have been studies showing that social media is having a significantly negative impact on the mental health of users, in particular those who are Millenials/Gen Z.

I'm a bit iffy about this. I don't doubt scientific articles but does anyone have anecdotes as to what it's doing? I wouldn't have any friends so no use for it really.

If this trend continues, will we see restrictions on social media for children like we see with advertising?

You're posting on social media right now, and going bybthe amount of threads you start it would seem you definitely do need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

You're posting on social media right now, and going bybthe amount of threads you start it would seem you definitely do need it.

Yes but this would be considered an asocial media. It's not really for putting things up about your life but rather engaging in debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes but this would be considered an asocial media. It's not really for putting things up about your life but rather engaging in debate.

But thats exactly what you do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

This is not a topic for current affairs, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement