Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TOTW Grain Free Dog Food vs GAIN

• 04-10-2020 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I've switched my Cavachon over to a grain free, salmon based dog food called Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream from GAIN Elite as he itches a lot and I wanted to move him away from a Chicken/Beef diet incase he has an allergy to them.

I've noticed that GAIN now offer a grain free, salmon based food under the GAIN Kindness brand which is more cost effective than TOTW and I was wondering if the nutritional content is as good as the TOTW food?

TOTW Pacific Stream:
    Screenshot-2020-10-04-at-17-37-43.png
    Screenshot-2020-10-04-at-17-43-21.png

GAIN Kindness Salmon:
    Screenshot-2020-10-04-at-17-39-28.png

Alternatively, is there any other foods which I should be considering? - Thanks!

Comments

The Gain has 5% more protein and 3% more fat- is your dog very active? If not, I don't think I'd be going so high on the protein levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Unless your dog has a medical condition that warrants watching eg protein, phosphorus levels etc i wouldn’t pay any notice to these percentages tbh. Go with what suits your dog and your budget

tk123 wrote: »
    Unless your dog has a medical condition that warrants watching eg protein, phosphorus levels etc i wouldn’t pay any notice to these percentages tbh. Go with what suits your dog and your budget

I would. Older dogs who are inactive or indeed younger dogs not famed for their activity, don't need such high protein diets - and this advice came from my vet. My approach is find the best feed, then find the right balance of protein/fat/fibre etc that suits your dog.

They're not absolute indicators of how your dog might respond to that food, but for MY dog, if all other things equal, I'd choose a 20% protein food over a 30% protein food.

I would. Older dogs who are inactive or indeed younger dogs not famed for their activity, don't need such high protein diets - and this advice came from my vet.

Did they give a reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

id be more concerned about the source of the protein than the %

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Did they give a reason?

Essentially unused energy becomes fat - if your dog is largely sedentary it doesn’t need high levels of protein - the richer the dog food the more likely they’ll become overweight, unless they exercise extensively - an overweight dog means more medical issues and vet bills - so quality food, yes- but you also need to look at other aspects of the food make up too

Or you could just feed a bit less? ;)

I raw feed so protein all the way lol!

Advertisement