Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a setup Solution

Options
  • 04-10-2020 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have the following devices - personal PC , personal laptop (Dell), work laptop (lennovo), monitor, keyboard, mouse, ethernet cable

Is there a solution to connect these items together so the keyboard, mouse, monitor, ethernet are simultaneously linked to the PC, personal laptop, work laptop ?

At the moment I have wires all over the place that I have to reconnect each time I want to go on the different PC & laptops

Thanks,
    TK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭wandererz

Do all three devices have a Usb-c port?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

wandererz wrote: »
    Do all three devices have a Usb-c port?
    1. My personal laptop has a USB-C -(Dell XPS 15 7590).
    2. Work laptop - thinkpad T450 - does not look like it has USB-C ?. I may be able to go with a virtual work setup on my personal laptop - TBC - you can exclude this device from the setup for now.
    3. My PC motherboard is - ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155)
      I will be upgrading my PC later this year when the next gen CPU/GPU's are in stock ... so maybe some kind of USB-c adapter could be a work around that I can use in my future build ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hi All,

I have the following devices - personal PC , personal laptop (Dell), work laptop (lennovo), monitor, keyboard, mouse, ethernet cable

Is there a solution to connect these items together so the keyboard, mouse, monitor, ethernet are simultaneously linked to the PC, personal laptop, work laptop ?

At the moment I have wires all over the place that I have to reconnect each time I want to go on the different PC & laptops

Thanks,
    TK
    best your looking for is a USB 3.0 docking station. A USB C one would be better but your pc is missing the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

irishgeo wrote: »
    best your looking for is a USB 3.0 docking station. A USB C one would be better but your pc is missing the port.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-docking-station-wd19-180w/apd/210-arjf/pc-accessories

This type of docking station includes a monitor. Would this be the best solution given I will upgrade my PC (and monitor) later this year (ensuring they include USB-C) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Remote Desktop ? Use the monitor, keyboard and mouse attached to the PC as the main device. Enable RDP on the other 2 devices and remote into them. Cost = €0

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Remote Desktop ? Use the monitor, keyboard and mouse attached to the PC as the main device. Enable RDP on the other 2 devices and remote into them. Cost = €0

Ken

If his work laptop is anyway secure. RDP will be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

https://symless.com/synergy

you are welcome...

degsie wrote: »
    https://symless.com/synergy

you are welcome...

Considering he wants to use the monitor as well that's not a complete solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

irishgeo wrote: »
    If his work laptop is anyway secure. RDP will be disabled.

Then he can use Quick Assist ?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Does Microsoft Without Borders help with what you want to do?

Advertisement