Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian journalist immolates herself in public

Options
  • 04-10-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Russian journalist Irina Slavina set herself on fire and died in public space in Nizhny Novgorod. She did this in protest of the government campaign of harassment directed at her, including having her flat searched and laptop confiscated recently. A passer-by tried to put out the flames but in vain.

Distressing video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOrzlaPIgmY&bpctr=1601834950

Rest in peace.

Is this a beacon of journalistic integrity or pure madness? I have lots of contradictory thoughts on this.

In other news, Navalny is slowly recuperating and planning to go back to Russia...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Brave woman. That would have been an excruciating few moments
    before she lost consciousness and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Just when you think you've seenitall

That's a rough watch though, wow some determination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Horrific, the poor woman must have been in some distress.

Also feel sorry for that poor guy who witnessed and heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

Very brave man trying to help here there. Dreadful that anybody felt the need to go to those extremes. Poor Woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No cause is worth that end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Holy crap that's horrific .

The sooner or later putin is removed the better ,he has countless journalists deaths on his hands ,no wonder trump ideologises him ,he's a cancer

Rip to the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

No cause is worth that end

That is not true, if the cause is to free the many for the suffering of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Also feel sorry for that poor guy who witnessed and heard.
    He'll see that in his dreams the rest of his days god help him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Should have got her to stop, drop and roll.

Seriously, no cause is worth giving your life for. A day later, you're long forgotten.

Seriously, no cause is worth giving your life for. A day later, you're long forgotten.

Chances are she would have fallen off a balcony or died in a violent robberies which is the current M/O for the FSB when it comes to journalists who speak up against the regime ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Gatling wrote: »

The sooner or later putin is removed the better ,he has countless journalists deaths on his hands ,no wonder trump ideologises him ,he's a cancer

Rip to the victim

Its rumoured Putin has dirt on Trump from when he used to go there on business trips so if that is true its probably fear more than anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

That is not true, if the cause is to free the many for the suffering of the few.

Stop waffling please. No one will be anymore free just because that woman had a death wish.

People who set themselves on fire have severe mental issues.

If that poor woman was sane she would have continued to work as a journalist and highlight injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I feel very sorry for the poor man who tried to help her. How could you be right after witnessing it.

Obviously very sad that anybody could be driven to that, and I don't agree with the previous poster who suggested that martyrdom like that for a cause can make it a worthwhile exercise.

Its rumoured Putin has dirt on Trump from when he used to go there on business trips so if that is true its probably fear more than anything.

It's quite possible , Moscow hotels are notorious for being monitored with listening and video devices , remember prefall of the Berlin wall they say two out of every 5 people worked with or for the stasi secret police i can only imagine what the figure is for Russia with the FSB /kgb

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Self immolation is never something done lightly.

I would hope this triggers an independent investigation into what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Overheal wrote: »

Heh

Ok since we’re telling jokes now, here’s my one:

In Soviet Russia, the news make the journalists!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

In that country? My guess is - not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Rip to the victim

Russia is better United under Putin. They will be picked apart if they had a piss weak leader that we have become accustomed to

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

seenitall wrote: »
    Heh

Fcuk me I see what I did there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Overheal wrote: »
    Fcuk me I see what I did there now.

Did you think it was some other country..?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Chances are she would have fallen off a balcony or died in a violent robberies which is the current M/O for the FSB when it comes to journalists who speak up against the regime ,

Exactly, she probably felt her days were numbered anyway and maybe this way her death could achieve something unlike all the other murdered journalists the last few years

Exactly, she probably felt her days were numbered anyway and maybe this way her death could achieve something unlike all the other murdered journalists the last few years

Watch it will be announced she was under investigation for bribery and corruption , nothing to see here Russia good everyone else is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

:rolleyes:

You have obviously not been following where the Russia investigation ended up. Not on Trump's doorstep. Hunter Biden ring a bell?

Horrific end for that poor woman. Most of our journalists are little better than state propagandists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I would assume there is something to this judging by Trumps behaviour on Russia issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I couldn't see an Irish journalist doing that. If Gemma O'Doherty really believed in what she was saying for instance....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bonniedog wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

You have obviously not been following where the Russia investigation ended up. Not on Trump's doorstep. Hunter Biden ring a bell?

Horrific end for that poor woman. Most of our journalists are little better than state propagandists.

You have no idea what I have or haven't been following.

Trump was always a pure rig for the ladies so its not that much of a reach to suggest he might have been caught on camera at something he shouldn't have been doing when he was over there on business.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's quite possible , Moscow hotels are notorious for being monitored with listening and video devices , remember prefall of the Berlin wall they say two out of every 5 people worked with or for the stasi secret police i can only imagine what the figure is for Russia with the FSB /kgb

There is a story that Tom King, former secretary of state for Northern Ireland tells about a trip to moscow. His wife complained to him that there were not enough towels in the hotel room. a few minutes later housekeeping knocks on the door with more towels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Which pales into insignificance when you look at the criminals in the NSA and their ability to spy on so many people around the globe.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Which pales into insignificance when you look at the criminals in the NSA and their ability to spy on so many people around the globe.

You think other governments don't,

you can't be that naive,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's so sad a person can be driven to suicide, and in such a horrible way.
    RIP :(

Advertisement