Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian journalist immolates herself in public

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Stop waffling please. No one will be anymore free just because that woman had a death wish.

People who set themselves on fire have severe mental issues.

If that poor woman was sane she would have continued to work as a journalist and highlight injustice.

True.

Poisoning or falling from balconies is the normal way to go in Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Her life is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Gatling wrote: »
    You think other governments don't,

you can't be that naive,

I'd say some do, but few on the scale of the NSA's law breaking.

Anyway, keep up your propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Everything about it is dramatic and visible. Outside in a public place, daytime with lots of people passing, setting herself on fire (not shot or drowning) she wanted her death to be talked about.

But these are the actions of a woman who had mental issues and decided to end it all. Forget the whole anti Putin thing. This is not the death of a sane and rational person who was protesting for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'd say some do, but few on the scale of the NSA's law breaking.

Like Russia , China , north korea ,iran ,Syria .most of eastern Europe

But murica did, yeah we know for the 10,000th time it's been repeated

• Advertisement

Plenty of perfectly sane people do insane things for causes they believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I can’t even bear burning my finger off the hob. HOW does somebody do that to themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

I can’t even bear burning my finger off the hob. HOW does somebody do that to themselves?

Cocaines a hell of a drug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The vietnamese monk who lit himself on fire (with gasoline ) and sat there...not a bother on him.

Still cant get my head around it.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/the-burning-monk-1963/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Biker79 wrote: »
    The vietnamese monk who lit himself on fire (with gasoline ) and sat there...not a bother on him.

To be fair he was more than likely not in his body, meditation

Made for a good Rage album cover though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rapul wrote: »
    To be fair he was more than likely not in his body, meditation

Made for a good Rage album cover though!
    "OMG look at the monk about to light himself on fire! Hey stop, you'll kill yourself!"
    "F*** you, I won't do what you tell me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Biker79 wrote: »

Initially you'd feel incredible pain but once the nerves in the skin are burned, you won't feel too much pain after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Gatling wrote: »
    Holy crap that's horrific .

The sooner or later putin is removed the better ,he has countless journalists deaths on his hands ,no wonder trump ideologises him ,he's a cancer

Rip to the victim

It's not as simple as that.

Putin is a gangster, but the worst thing he has done is rob Russia of potential stability in his wake. This is made all the worse by the fact that it's totally unnecessary (he is genuinely very popular there).

If Putin was removed with no transition in place it could collapse to the ways it was in the mid 90s - a very dark and desperate time for the country where the average life expectancy plummeted, people had no hope for the future, the economy was terrible, and Russia looked like it was imploding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Initially you'd feel incredible pain but once the nerves in the skin are burned, you won't feel too much pain after that.

I feel reassured. Think I’ll go ahead with my self-immolation as planned now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

BattleCorp wrote: »

Hmm....not very reassuring TBH.

But you're probably right.

Advertisement