Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get copy of will

Options
  • 04-10-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

How do you go about finding out if a will has been made by a family member without going to a lawyer. This concerns my grand mother and mother. Grand mother is deceased.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Ask your mother and other family members.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭cobzzq

I want to do this privately.

I don't know of any other way then. I doubt her solicitor will tell you anything GDPR alone never mind legal reasons.

So i go to a lawyer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

con747 wrote: »
    I don't know of any other way then. I doubt her solicitor will tell you anything GDPR alone never mind legal reasons.

How would anyone go about legally challenging a will if you don’t know if one exists or not?

That’s probably a contradiction in terms - hopefully you know what I’m getting at? If the Will leaves a person at a disadvantage that you think is incorrect - would it not be to late to challenge it if the thing that out you at that disadvantage had happened before you knew eg sale of house.

• Advertisement

I would suggest so, but other people on here would have a better input relating to your question. Wait for some to comment.

karlitob wrote: »
    How would anyone go about legally challenging a will if you don’t know if one exists or not?

That’s probably a contradiction in terms - hopefully you know what I’m getting at? If the Will leaves a person at a disadvantage that you think is incorrect - would it not be to late to challenge it if the thing that out you at that disadvantage had happened before you knew eg sale of house.

Did you read the opening post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The will becomes public record after probate

You could ask the executor

Executor has 12 months when person died

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I assume the family member has already died in this scenario. If there is a will & you are a beneficiary then you will be notified by the solicitor handling the estate.

The reason i ask for advice is that my mother has been co-dependent on people her whole life. This could lead to a awkward situation.

• Advertisement

Did you read the opening post?

Yes I did.

I asked a fair question. And got a snotty reply from you. What’s your point? I’m humbly sorry if the question I asked offended you.

Yes I did.

I asked a fair question. And got a snotty reply from you. What’s your point? I’m humbly sorry if the question I asked offended you.

Snotty reply?? The OP didn't ask about contesting anything is why I asked if you read the first post. If you are that easily offended not my problem:)

The only one that can claim on your grandmother estate is your mother if she dies you can't

The only one that can claim on your grandmother estate is your mother if she dies you can't

Snotty reply?? The OP didn't ask about contesting anything is why I asked if you read the first post. If you are that easily offended not my problem:)

I didn’t say the OP did ask about contesting anything. I asked! You got offended for some reason - not me. Your reply was snotty - that’s a description. I didn’t say I was offended.

If you don’t want to answer a question, then say so. Don’t be posting snotty replies.

I didn’t say the OP did ask about contesting anything. I asked! You got offended for some reason - not me. Your reply was snotty - that’s a description. I didn’t say I was offended.

If you don’t want to answer a question, then say so. Don’t be posting snotty replies.

Put your toys back in your pram, goodbye.:)

Put your toys back in your pram, goodbye.:)

Loving the passive aggressive smiley faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

Back to the topic in hand. If there was a will and it was dealt with then a grant of probate will have issued. That is then a public document as is the will. Check out the link to see how to order a copy. You have to pay for it.

https://courts.ie/probate-register-online

If your grandmother made a will and your mother was a beneficiary she should have been contacted by the executor of the will or a solicitor dealing with it. When did your grandmother die?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It seems we need a register of wills in Ireland, to record the existence of wills.

I note that a private firm is offering such a service:

https://www.thewillregister.ie/

Maybe we need to regulate that all wills are notified to some register?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,412 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That's an imposition on people who make wills, and may discourage them from making or updating wills. It's also a complication which could multiply disputes - e.g. which is to prevail, the earlier will which is on the register or the later will which isn't? Does the reason why the latest will was unregistered have any bearing on the answer to the question? What if we don't know why the later will was not registered?

The bottom line is that anyone who makes a will has a blindingly obvious interest in making sure that the people who need to know that there is a will do know that. In 99 cases out of 100 is is done perfectly effectively by informal means; you tell them, or you do something obvious like making your will with your regular solicitor that your family knows about.

In the case mentioned in the OP, if Grandma made a willl, we have no reason to think that she failed to tell the people she needed to tell. No offence to cozbbq, but there is no reason to think that grandson/granddaughter was someone she needed to tell. If he/she doesn't know whether Grandma made a will, possibly that could be because it is none of his/her business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is no way of finding out if some living person has made a will. If a person who is deceased has made a will during their lifetime a grant of probate may have been taken out and this can be found from the Probate Office. If no grant of probate was applied for and it cannot be found out. It is possible to put a caveat in the Probate Office so that you will be notified when there is an attempt to seek a grant of probate.

Advertisement