Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Think I read your post wrong - my apologies.

Edit nope - that teacher(assuming they are a teacher) is correct to call out colleagues who don’t do a thing.

The hear no evil, see no evil mindset is so wrong and especially wrong among the people who teach our future generations.

That being said they should be being told what to do, not “do work online”, the dept had time to plan this.

The teacher, assuming they are a teacher, admitted that they didn't engage with their students during the last lockdown.

Don’t even bother it’s pointless.

They have received a warning to engage with posters and answers their questions. One can but hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Deja vu........all over again.

How many schools? Apart from yourself, how many teachers do you know who did nothing last time?

Actually I know a lot of teachers who did almost nothing last time. I also have experience of schools who did the one email a week thing.

And it’s not just me saying that ... this thread supports that with many patents (and some teachers) saying the same thing.

The teachers denying this are part of the problem. We should be calling this out instead of circling the waging and denying it’s happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

The teacher, assuming they are a teacher, admitted that they didn't engage with their students during the last lockdown.

To be fair I saw it myself last lockdown - I am not a teacher but I am close to one, and they have friends in other schools - what I observed is similar to what they are saying here.

That being said if I arrived into work and was told “work” but not told what to do, or quality accessed etc then what can you do? - I’m not defending the poster by the way, I’d imagine group mentality, parents chatting(Johnny gets 3 hours of work Barry none etc) all comes into play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Brilliant. Didn't see that before. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

So exam years are in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

If schools are going online anyway, they should have decided that last week and started from this Thursday.
    Kids have another half week of no structure and thinking they're still in holiday mode.
    The quicker we all get into a routine the better.
    Also, since this week is still deemed a school holiday, I'm guessing there's no online staff meetings taking place to discuss putting strategies in place for next week.
    Government procrastinated for too long.

No there absolutely will be. There won't be any until Thurs/Friday because principals can't do anything until they hear official word, but it would be some school that doesn't have a meeting before Monday of some sort

Actually I know a lot of teachers who did almost nothing last time. I also have experience of schools who did the one email a week thing.

And it’s not just me saying that ... this thread supports that with many patents (and some teachers) saying the same thing.

The teachers denying this are part of the problem. We should be calling this out instead of circling the waging and denying it’s happening.

How many teachers? How many schools?
    Nobody can deny it, after all you admitted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

So exam years are in?

I don’t know haven’t seen it anywhere only in here. Apparently RTE said something about it. Great if true. Makes the teachers job a lot more difficult but these are the times we are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

So exam years are in?

According to RTE news anyway. No bother having the majority of secondary school teachers in school plus full year groups all mixing and not social distancing.

What are we meant to take from it and your post?

The document isn't worth the time of day.

The usefulness this has for me is that now I understand what the Dept has directed primary schools to do in the event of remote learning. It falls far, far short of what should have been done, that needs to be said first.

But the first shutdown we only got an email once a week during the final month of school. From the principal, who wouldn't allow teachers to directly work with their own pupils/families. Everyone we have spoken to is keen for this not to happen again. We want direct communication with kids' teachers and to keep that connection going. My kids adore their teachers. They need this, and hopefully to be able to see their classmates frequently somehow. Not sure this can happen though.

To be fair I saw it myself last lockdown - I am not a teacher but I am close to one, and they have friends in other schools - what I observed is similar to what they are saying here.

Yet another example of what I’ve been saying about some teachers not working during lockdown.

How many teachers? How many schools?
    Nobody can deny it, after all you admitted it.

I can say with certainty 2 schools that did nothing(essentially nothing, 1 email
    a week with prescribed work) - I can also say that 1 school did a massive amount of work and that I was impressed by it.

Not sure how much good that is to you though you seem to have an obsession with this persons personal experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Stateofyou wrote: »
    The usefulness this has for me is that now I understand what the Dept has directed primary schools to do in the event of remote learning. It falls far, far short of what should have been done, that needs to be said first.

But the first shutdown we only got an email once a week during the final month of school. From the principal, who wouldn't allow teachers to directly work with their own pupils/families. Everyone we have spoken to is keen for this not to happen again. We want direct communication with kids' teachers and to keep that connection going. My kids adore their teachers. They need this, and hopefully to be able to see their classmates frequently somehow. Not sure this can happen though.

Did you speak to the principal when schools returned about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Can we please stop going over old ground again and again. It's sooooo boring, not to mention pointless. We should all agree that yes there were some teachers who did very little. Someone said their child received three emails in three months. I mean that is a disgrace. Then there were teachers who did tons of behind the scene work but maybe on the receiving end, it didn't look like much, then there were the really demanding teachers who had parents stressed to high heavens and then some who just had the magic touch. But most and definately my kids teachers were more than adequate.

• Advertisement

Yet another example of what I’ve been saying about some teachers not working during lockdown.

But like.... why do you have to constantly bring up the teachers who did nothing all the time?

I get it that you think those that did nothing should be called out - have you called them out on it? Moaning about them anonymously on here isn't calling them out.

Did you know of any one teacher who did a good job during the last lockdown? Do they not deserve a shout out?

I'm genuinely curious - what is the point of you coming here? Is it to rant about it or to annoy others? What are you gaining from it?

I'm not having a go at you but I'm just wondering why you come onto this forum at all

I can say with certainty 2 schools that did nothing(essentially nothing, 1 email
    a week with prescribed work) - I can also say that 1 school did a massive amount of work and that I was impressed by it.

Not sure how much good that is to you though you seem to have an obsession with this persons personal experience?

Have you engaged with the schools that failed their students?

Please bear in mind that said document was only published in October of 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

If parents were scrutinised as much as teachers, a lot of society's issues would be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

alroley wrote: »
    According to RTE news anyway. No bother having the majority of secondary school teachers in school plus full year groups all mixing and not social distancing.

We've a lot of 3rd and 6th years, most teachers and snas will be in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Do we have to read the same rubbish ongoing since last spring? We get it 123, crying over spilt milk at this stage.

Anyway, next Monday.

How people feeling bout going in next week at reduced capacity and online for the others?

Presume 3rd and 6th yrs can be given bigger rooms in school now.

Windows open so it will be baltic but will be better for 6th yrs especially as they can continue learning ahead of mocks, orals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

at the moment sounds like online for everyone but LC and JC they will be face to face. But no point specualting until official announcement

Have you engaged with the schools that failed their students?

Not a parent, and not in a position to. I am
    merely sharing my personal observations of the situation.

As a citizen my honest feeling and opinion is the department of education is a **** show(for want of a better expression), they had adequate time to plan, yet they didn’t, and teachers will get the brunt of backlash from the public as usual.

Assuming you or whoever reading this is a teacher:
    I think Foley lied to ye as a a profession, ye got no training and extra staff as promised, now we are here again and ye don’t even have a simple plan to follow?

And at the end of the day it’s the kids that suffer the consequences, my own personal stake are my family members doing exams this year.

Windows open so it will be baltic but will be better for 6th yrs especially as they can continue learning ahead of mocks, orals etc

All the leaving cert students on liveline today complaining about open windows and doors will be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Does anyone know if universities have been mentioned in all of this? I'm due to sit a practical exam on Tuesday, which requires leaving the county to go to Dublin. Radio silence from my university.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭History Queen

It's exhausting at this stage... all of it. I'm off to pour a rather large gin and turn on some braindead TV. Can't wait to hear the ****show they've planned for us... maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and the Dept will have got their **** together? Doubtful.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    But like.... why do you have to constantly bring up the teachers who did nothing all the time?

I get it that you think those that did nothing should be called out - have you called them out on it? Moaning about them anonymously on here isn't calling them out.

Did you know of any one teacher who did a good job during the last lockdown? Do they not deserve a shout out?

I'm genuinely curious - what is the point of you coming here? Is it to rant about it or to annoy others? What are you gaining from it?

I'm not having a go at you but I'm just wondering why you come onto this forum at all

Do you know how boards works? This is an anonymous message board where we are all anonymous.

And please read all my threads before having a go at me. I have praised teachers who did their best last lockdown. But you’d prefer to ignore that as your true purpose is to have a go at me, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

We've a lot of 3rd and 6th years, most teachers and snas will be in

And special classes
    And buses would have to run
    I think people have picked up what was said wring regarding Leaving Certs anyways

http://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1346588259581878275

Did you speak to the principal when schools returned about this?

No. It's a regret of mine. At first it seemed like it was for the best, encouraging families to be together outdoors and de-stress, it was only for the last 4 weeks that we had books and the emails from principal. We also got inundated with "resources" such as Twinkl before the emails came but we found it very overwhelming to try trawl through all the materials and figure out lesson plans from them (while working ourselves) but we did our best. (I still resent that tbh.)

Then summer came, and with the start of a new year came the announcements of new remote platforms so I said to myself they had learned from it and will do better if there's a next time. I hope so. I will speak up this time if I feel its falling short. Im actually interested to hear from teachers here what they're doing from next week so to compare...

Sorry edited to add that by "they" had learned from it I mean the school, specifically the principal. it was out of the teachers hands, who are brilliant teachers, no complaints. Through the rumour mill I learned the teachers resent the principals level of control over everything, so I feel for them actually. I bet they were glad to see the document saying they should have contact with their pupils, actually.

Please bear in mind that said document was only published in October of 2020.

Oh I know! I think I remember hearing it was backdated too?

• Advertisement

No. It's a regret of mine. At first it seemed like it was for the best, encouraging families to be together outdoors and de-stress, it was only for the last 4 weeks that we had books and the emails from principal. We also got inundated with "resources" such as Twinkl before the emails came but we found it very overwhelming to try trawl through all the materials and figure out lesson plans from them (while working ourselves) but we did our best. (I still resent that tbh.)

Then summer came, and with the start of a new year came the announcements of new remote platforms so I said to myself they had learned from it and will do better if there's a next time. I hope so. I will speak up this time if I feel its falling short. Im actually interested to hear from teachers here what they're doing from next week so to compare...

My advice is don't be comparing, do even co pare within the same school. Each teacher will have their own way of doing things. I won't be doing live lessons but that is due to my parents and what they indicated works for them. For maths and Irish I'll be mainly doing revision of topics already covered, plenty of verb work in Irish for the first fortnight. My main aim will be to not overload or cause additional stress and/or anxiety for my pupils and their families as we are not privy to home circumstances. Now we will still aim for progression but not at the same level as when we are in school.

My advice is don't be comparing, do even co pare within the same school. Each teacher will have their own way of doing things. I won't be doing live lessons but that is due to my parents and what they indicated works for them. For maths and Irish I'll be mainly doing revision of topics already covered, plenty of verb work in Irish for the first fortnight. My main aim will be to not overload or cause additional stress and/or anxiety for my pupils and their families as we are not privy to home circumstances. Now we will still aim for progression but not at the same level as when we are in school.

Will take that on board. I edited my previous post by the way before you put this up..

Will you do any optional zoom chats for the craic do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Splitting my class in half and teaching live most of the day, if you want to know. Couple of whole class games sessions to keep spirits up as well.

They might have to upload a couple of bits on Seesaw (writing etc, no way can I see that over Zoom) and will have to do some reading/ handwriting etc independently. But I'm going live as much as possible, they respond well to it and correcting online is a ballache. Parents liked my live lessons last time - freed them up to chase after toddlers or try to work themselves - so that's good too.

Now, as I've mentioned on here I also teach in an area where all kids would have their own devices/ broadband/ place to work. Not every child in every class has that, so I wouldn't expect every teacher to do what I'm doing.

I really feel for the teachers in that school, it sounds like a toxic workplace.

Do you know how boards works? This is an anonymous message board where we are all anonymous.

And please read all my threads before having a go at me. I have praised teachers who did their best last lockdown. But you’d prefer to ignore that as your true purpose is to have a go at me, right?

No it isn't to have a go at you at all. That is not my intention at all and I said that in the post above.

If you have posts praising others then fair enough. I'll admit that I didn't read your full posting history before making that comment, but I am going on what has stood out to me in the last couple of months.

I have not once been confrontational towards you in the months that you have been on here giving out about it but I am getting a bit tired of it now as it serves no purpose.

May I respectfully suggest that you either broach the issue with your colleagues this time round or let it go.

Oh I know! I think I remember hearing it was backdated too?

Yes it was. lol

Just interested in this and not a dig or to try set up a dig at all as I’ve no idea what class/year you teach.

When you say no live lessons does that mean you do a recorded lesson and send it to the child? Or simply prepare a worksheet for them to do themselves? I am
    sure there is a mix, but whats your primary delivery method?

Another question, if you do not compare with other teachers, what "metrics" would you utilise to ensure your class is benefiting from what you are doing?

Will take that on board. I edited my previous post by the way before you put this up..

Will you do any optional zoom chats for the craic do you think?

I did them the last time so will do so again. We did quizzes and similar on zoom. As a school we have decided to not do live online lessons for a number of reasons, main one being that parents and kids felt under pressure to attend. Recorded stuff seems to suit most in our school and that is our whole school approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

kinda confused on the whole "are exam classes going back"

Surely if everyone's told to stay home that wouldn't be true? Miscommunication maybe? Teachers can just prioritize those exam years online more right? :confused:

No it isn't to have a go at you at all. That is not my intention at all and I said that in the post above.

If you have posts praising others then fair enough. I'll admit that I didn't read your full posting history before making that comment, but I am going on what has stood out to me in the last couple of months.

I have not once been confrontational towards you in the months that you have been on here giving out about it but I am getting a bit tired of it now as it serves no purpose.

May I respectfully suggest that you either broach the issue with your colleagues this time round or let it go.

Yeah, fair enough. I’m not having a go at you either.

I have said this to my colleagues but it’s not a good idea to start a conflict with my principal for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

TTLF wrote: »

Surely if everyone's told to stay home that wouldn't be true? Miscommunication maybe? Teachers can just prioritize those exam years online more right? :confused:

It would be counter productive to have pretty much all secondary school staff and thousands of students go to school.

TTLF wrote: »

It seems to be true such is the level of back channel briefing going on to journalists. It's a pure populist move from Mehole. Honestly think that there will be a high percentage of those students who won't be attending and will be expecting to be taught online instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hold My Hand

I’m a teacher and have a lot of sympathy for parents. During the first lockdown, one sister was homeschooling her 5 primary kids (older teen in TY, TG) Every morning, she had an email outlining work for each child, regular zoom chats with their teachers, schoolbooks etc. 2 of the children receive support in school so they needed additional help also. By the time the Summer holidays arrived, she was exhausted (she was doing all this and helping on the farm). I was looking at my home classroom today. I have a sturdy IKEA whiteboard and am going to be teaching from my sittingroom on Seesaw ... I better hide the wine bottles lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

It seems to be true such is the level of back channel ringing going on to journalists. It's a pure populist move from Mehole. Honestly think that their will be a high percentage of those students who won't be attending and will be expecting to be taught online instead.

It’s a bit nuts. The one group who could handle online best (age and interest) are the ones going in to class. Sounds nuts to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

alroley wrote: »
    It would be counter productive to have pretty much all secondary school staff and thousands of students go to school.

yeah i was thinking like, surely if it isn't safe for a 2nd year to be face to face with a teacher, it wouldn't magically be different for a 3rd or 6th yr either, would seem silly?

Regardless with my condition i wouldn't be going in under these current circumstances but I dont want to be put in a position where "exam classes still go in" and im stuck trying to figure out what to do since i cannot.

Headache this all is, we're being told tomorrow right?

I really feel for the teachers in that school, it sounds like a toxic workplace.

Yeah, I do wonder what the teachers really think/go through. We can certainly read through the lines of course and hear some things too.
    The principal is hard enough work I know that much. The pa committees have all had a rough time of it.
    I did them the last time so will do so again. We did quizzes and similar on zoom. As a school we have decided to not do live online lessons for a number of reasons, main one being that parents and kids felt under pressure to attend. Recorded stuff seems to suit most in our school and that is our whole school approach.

That sounds good to at least have a bit of fun/learning online if no live lessons. Will be interesting now to see what comes from our kids' school. Would love to see recorded things happening or live, either works for us. Anything but emails from the principal. :rolleyes:

Really great to hear from you both about your approaches, it's interesting. One of my good friends growing up is a teacher and I have a lot of respect for the preparation that goes into the lessons as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

She comes here because everyone in the Teaching Forum reminds her that she admitted in a thread that she did nothing in the last lockdown because she felt pressure from other members of staff not to. She's speaking about herself when talking about teachers who did very little and is trying to drag more teachers into that category to justify her own actions. On the teachers forum she was talking to teachers interested enough to be on a forum exchanging ideas who obviously were doing their level best and felt this was a weak excuse and was told as much

Yeah, fair enough. I’m not having a go at you either.

I have said this to my colleagues but it’s not a good idea to start a conflict with my principal for obvious reasons.

Hey, did you have a read of that remote document just posted up? (if you haven't seen it before). I remember you saying your school principal hadn't ensured a remote platform/plan was in place. That document clearly says there should be one chosen...

How are you getting on with your own plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Sandra Hurley on 9oclock news said she has heard provision will be made to open special schools and for exam classes. Emma O'Kelly then commented on it in studio but just expanding on point made by Sandra, not offering sourced information of her own.

News on Player, go to bout 5.30mins into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

People are jumping to conclusions re exam classes coming in
    It’s not being reported by any mainstream media
    I would guess there will be further concessions for LC students in terms of practical deadline etc AND that they will return before other years in 3 weeks

From rte
    “ The Cabinet sub-committee on Covid-19 met today, and their proposals also include that special schools will remain open.

If there are units of pupils with special needs within a mainstream school, these pupils will be able to attend classes.

However, if for example there is one child with special needs in a mainstream classroom, there is unlikely to be a provision to keep that child in school while the rest of the school remains closed.

Minister for Education Norma Foley will be asked to consider ways to cater for Leaving Cert students. ”

Teachers of special classes will have to be in school to teach alright . Not sure what happens if they ring in sick .......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Someting on Primetime too but missed it watching The Walking Dead instead, perfect antedote to Covid

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement