Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Has anyone's Schools banned gifts for Teachers or Christmas Cards etc coming in from home ?

Noting has been said about it. My kids school are collecting via papal for a voucher for the class teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

khalessi wrote: »
    Noting has been said about it. My kids school are collecting via papal for a voucher for the class teacher.

That's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

On a related note but tangential note to this mornings discussions, my employer has this morning offered PCR tests to employees prior to Christmas with results guaranteed within two days.

Fair play. Nice gesture.

IS this secondary school or something. Cause they aren't doing this at the primary school our kids go to. 6 cases out of 600 kids, all coming from their home.

Doors are not open, two windows but that's it

Primary but doesn't make any difference. Any principal creating issues over uniform this year needs a good root up the behind.

Has anyone's Schools banned gifts for Teachers or Christmas Cards etc coming in from home ?

Yep. Some parents are up in arms over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The German healthcare system is excellent, but they are reached breaking point. Hopefully they will pull back from the brink just like we have for now

No they haven't. Even in the hospital cited in the article, there is fully operational plan to move patients to other hospitals.
    Germany has about 28,000 operational ICU beds, according to the German Association of Intensive and Emergency Medicine (DIVI). An additional 20% could be available, but cannot be used due to lack of staff.

The hilarity is they see that as a problem.

That would equate to 1800 ICU beds Ireland.
    Funding has enabled the HSE to put in place 55 permanent and fully-staffed beds during the pandemic, increasing capacity by 25% since before March and bringing the current number to 280

They are premier league, we are a pub team in terms of health care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes. I'm have no issues giving presents although I suspect teachers are sick of the tat they get. I'm not going against the school request.

Group collection is probably handiest but I'm a bit uncomfortable with an assumption some have that everyone has money.

Boggles wrote: »
    No they haven't. Even in the hospital cited in the article, there is fully operational plan to move patients to other hospitals.

"limiting factor is not the lack of ICU beds, but appropriately qualified staff."

They might be but their hospitals are still filling up. Even if they close next week or so that would only mean effect on numbers in two or three weeks.

Weren't they/aren't they taking patients from Holland?

• Advertisement

limiting factor is not the lack of ICU beds, but appropriately qualified staff

1800 ICU beds compared to our 280.

6.5 more.

They want to add another 20%.

Our goal is to add 6%.

Different galaxies.

They were taking patients from Holland at one stage but at that time German numbers were a lot lower. I think Dutch numbers went down. (They have excellent healthcare too and neededto send people out of country). There is additional lag after infections start falling before hospitalisation rates start falling.

Weren't they/aren't they taking patients from Holland?

France, Italy, Belgium.

As well as doing some of our testing.

1800 ICU beds compared to our 280.

6.5 more.

They want to add another 20%.

Our goal is to add 6%.

Different galaxies.

Is an ICU bed really an ICU bed if you don't have staff to man it?

meeeeh wrote: »
    They might be but their hospitals are still filling up. Even if they close next week or so that would only mean effect on numbers in two or three weeks.

Currently

15% of there ICU capacity is being used by Covid patients.

13% of our ICU capacity is being used by Covid patients.

Calm down, the Germans will be fine, they more often than not get it right.

Is an ICU bed really an ICU bed if you don't have staff to man it?

I even bolded the relevant part for you.
    Germany has about 28,000 operational ICU beds, according to the German Association of Intensive and Emergency Medicine (DIVI). An additional 20% could be available, but cannot be used due to lack of staff.

It's getting silly now.

I even bolded the relevant part for you.

It's getting silly now.

I am going by what Germans are saying.

The German health system is better equipment than ours to deal with an emergency. Its not unlimited however
    "We are in a total emergency the like of which we have never seen in the history of intensive medicine," Gernot Marx of the German Association for Anaesthesiology and Intensive Medicine (DIVI)
    Gass said that smaller hospitals and those in rural areas have hardly any capacity left and are having to turn away non-COVID patients.
    Thomas Werner, a clinical expert at the Berlin Medical Association, told Tagesspiegel that about 15% of nurses are absent from most wards — because they are sick themselves or are in quarantine.
    Uwe Janssens, the head of the German Association of Intensive and Emergency Medicine (DIVI) told a local agency that the experts and authorities are unsure of how will the hospitals be able to manage the inflow of COVID-19 patients if the situation remains as grim in the few upcoming weeks too.
    But Kluge said Germany’s relative shortage of staff to attend intensive care beds worried him. “The shortage of care workers, and the psychological toll on those working around the clock, is becoming a great cause for concern.”

Currently

15% of there ICU capacity is being used by Covid patients.

13% of our ICU capacity is being used by Covid patients.

Calm down, the Germans will be fine, they more often than not get it right.

I'm calm thank you.

Will you tell Merkel too that she should calm down with her assessment. Germans will be fine anyway.

I'm calm thank you.

Will you tell Merkel too that she should calm down with her assessment. Germans will be fine anyway.

I think her idea of closing schools early is sound.

Perfectly calm and reasonable approach to reality if you ask me.

Bloody Geography teachers though *shakes fist*.

I think her idea of closing schools early is sound.

Perfectly calm and reasonable approach to reality if you ask me.

Bloody Geography teachers though *shakes fist*.

More importantly they are suggesting closing all nonessential shops and telling peopleto cut contacts by 60%. They are not silly enough to think that a few days off school will make significant enough difference.

BTW your references to teacher hating are not funny, not relevant just tedious.

• Advertisement

More importantly they are suggesting closing all nonessential shops and telling peopleto cut contacts by 60%. They are not silly enough to think that a few days off school will make significant enough difference.

Germans nuanced in there approach where everything is considered?

Yep, sounds right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

pwurple wrote: »
    Exactly. It's fine for those of you with PS4's and the ability to keep your kids at home full time.

For the nurses, meat packers, travellers, the working classes in general, they don't have that luxury.

We're not one homogenous block of identical people. Different circumstances for all, and by taking children out of school, you are creating hardship, risk and basically penalizing people for being poorer than you.

Oh really. What do those children do for the the two weeks school is out, and every other break and summer holidays. Give over.

Germans nuanced in there approach where everything is considered?

Yep, sounds right.

And so are Irish. Or are you one of those people who love to put down their own nation.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Oh really. What do those children do for the the two weeks school is out, and every other break and summer holidays. Give over.

Well sitting them in front of PS and feeding them junk wouldn't be my preferred choice.

But then again I'm one of those inhumane parents who drag them out for hour long walk in rain.

And so are Irish. Or are you one of those people who love to put down their own nation.

Truly bizarre.

But in Ireland we are allowed question our governance. Is that not the same in your country of birth?

As for the nation, I think a relatively large portion of the them are doing absolute sterling work under fairly tough circumstances.

None so more than people working in schools.

Well sitting them in front of PS and feeding them junk wouldn't be my preferred choice.

But then again I'm one of those inhumane parents who drag them out for hour long walk in rain.

I said snacks, you got snarky and said junk.
    You and Lillyfae seem to have strange preoccupations with putting children in the rain for walks... :D

I said snacks, you got snarky and said junk.
    You and Lillyfae seem to have preoccupations with putting children in the rain for walks... :D

I very much do have preoccupation with that yes. I think kids don't move enough nowadays. Besides the dog eats my runners if we don't take her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

What their parents have been able to plan for them to do, based on the school calendar released at the start of the year.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    What their parents have been able to plan for them to do, based on the school calendar released at the start of the year.

Changed plans happen all the time. Including for sickness. What do parents do when the HSE rings them up and says you/your kid is a close contact, you must self isolate and for whatever period is required while testing is carried out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Changed plans happen all the time. Including for sickness. What do parents do when the HSE rings them up and says you/your kid is a close contact, you must self isolate and for whatever period is required while testing is carried out?

Probably struggle through as best they can, there have been a lot of situations like that this year. We don't really need to add any unnecessary ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement