Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

combat14 wrote: »
    whats making them immune and even more serious giving it to everyone else .....

Carrying the Virus without showing and symptoms and spreading then to the rest of the household...and anyone else the LC students hang around with on the way home from school...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ah yeah! I know that. Not having a go. Just making the point. Sorry if it came across that way.

I said the same when my kids went back, 5 other kids in each bubble, 5 other households etc etc and then the mix before the school gate, wasn't overly worried but made me wonder about the logic behind it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭combat14

enough is enough .. seriously concerned about competence of the government now.. i know they are probably trying their best but come on.........

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

khalessi wrote: »
    In relation to this Ministers have often gone against the advice from Sec Gens and their teams, because obviously the Minister knows better:rolleyes:

Obviously... that said, somebody who was at Norma's meeting with unions on Monday said that she opened the meeting by spouting the usual school are safe line and then let Sean O Foghlu Sec Gen answer all the other questions. I wish I could remember who tweeted it, it really struck me at the time. I'll have a look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I hope our individual creche stays open, my wife is frontline HSE. Given her job we will have places once they decide not to close of their own accord but also due to her job we couldn't risk asking grandparents to childmind given the big figures at the moment and the fact she is in daily contact with suspect and confirmed Covid patients (wearing PPE etc. of course).

• Advertisement

ax530 wrote: »
    Creche will be open for essential workers children so I think you will be ok your creche should still take the child.
    They said Creches can close if they wish.

I imagine most now will, why would anyone choose to risk their life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

I agree with the part about the unions but I don't think you're right about Norma being gone unfortunately. MM is repeating the schools are safe bs too. He's quite deferential to her as well, if you notice. Only when they have students and staff suing for having acquired long covid in school, will they sit up and take notice. I also think the Sec Gen of the Dept of Ed and the whole team in there must be propagating this message. Norma only has so much power, that team are driving these decisions.

In late summer MM need a political win and he decided that schools were going to be it. School were going to open and stay open. That was their mantra. IMO, this is playing politics nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Funny how the uk and ni don't think schools are safe enough, i can't even comprehend this ****ing ****, 55k students, how many staff nationally cater to lc? 100k more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

WildWater wrote: »
    In late summer MM need a political win and he decided that schools were going to be it. School were going to open and stay open. That was their mantra. IMO, this is playing politics nothing more.

Very much, it must be very serious (and politically crushing) for Martin to back down.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

there are no child minders at the moment the rules are no one is allowed in your house we are trying to flatten the very steep curve

They are allowed as far I understand, you bubble with a household for childcare. That’s us and our childminder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

I think even the journalists at this presser are incredulous at what they're hearing to be honest. Their questions are good to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I have to say that was truly pathetic bordering on incompetence.

Bizarre, absolutely bizarre, yer one Foley is so far out of her depth its scary.

Even the reporters are there "wtf" you can see it in their questions.

Bonkers stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

A colleague of mine is going to be in serious trouble...

We work night shift in an "essential" business...

His Mrs is a secondary school teacher(LC years)... They have 4 kids all under 10...

So his going to do an 8 hour shift come home, stay up mind the kids till his misses gets home and then try and sleep...don't envy him, he'll be lucky to get 5 hours sleep

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    A colleague of mine is going to be in serious trouble...We work night shift in an "essential" business...His Mrs is a secondary school teacher(LC years)... They have 4 kids all under 10...So his going to do an 8 hour shift come home, stay up mind the kids till his misses gets home and then try and sleep...don't envy him, he'll be lucky to get 5 hours sleep

Don't worry, Mehole Martin will flip-flop on this and move to remote learning for the LC students until 1st of February at the earliest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

His Mrs is a secondary school teacher(LC years)... They have 4 kids all under 10...

So his going to do an 8 hour shift come home, stay up mind the kids till his misses gets home and then try and sleep...don't envy him, he'll be lucky to get 5 hours sleep

I have 4 kids all under 10. 5 hours sleep is a good nights sleep to me and my husband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I found myself telling my JC student he would be learning from home for the next few weeks as it is too dangerous for him to be in school and then turning around to his brother in LC and telling him it ok for him to go to school. They pointed it out too.

I know I'm not alone I genuinely laughed at that. its ludicrous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've kids under 10 and 5 hours sleep would be a great night for me to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Can’t see it being reversed and can’t see unions pulling the plug tbh. All post primary schools are back open on Monday. How it’s going to work I have no idea.

They are allowed as far I understand, you bubble with a household for childcare. That’s us and our childminder

thats great didnt know that how many people and houses can we include i.e. how big are these bubbles allowed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

Maybe this Q should go on a separate thread..

Q

If a childcare provider closes for all of January, is the government funding the furlough for the workers? Does the provider still expect parents to pay for a service they are not getting? I can see more arguments between provider and parents on this one..

• Advertisement

we could need a separate thread or poll for norma needs to go yet

so my daughter, who is in her leaving cert year, wants to know why, if schools are safe, what changes on Monday and Friday to make them so dangerous that she has to stay at home.

This is already a really stressful year for kids of this age group. well done to the government for piling on the stress even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I have 4 kids all under 10. 5 hours sleep is a good nights sleep to me and my husband

Wow...that is scary for a number of reasons...have a read of "why we sleep" by Matthew walker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Foley peddling the line that schools are safe is utter *******. Schools are only as safe as the amount of community transmission present in the area they're in. They're looking at figures from schools when cases were low, completely different story now. Schools should be completely shut, no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Weren’t you all complaining at how unfair predictive grades were on everyone?

I think it’s a decent compromise, and with far less numbers in schools it will be easier to keep things safe. I don’t foresee a doomsday scenario because the minister for education tried to give Leaving Cert students a fair chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

So my sons school have already sent a letter already which I really have to commend them on. It doesn't explicitly say that the 6th years are not going back next week but I am taking from the wording they are ignoring the department's statement today.

"It is with sadness that I find myself writing to you. In all honesty I thought we had seen the last of remote teaching but alas, it is not to be. To the parents/guardians of 3rd and 6th years. Do not worry, deadlines for coursework/project submissions will be changed and additional choices will be given in written exams in the summer so that no one will be disadvantaged.

On a more positive note, with the investment in IT infrastructure and the introduction of TEAMS we are now in a much better place to offer much higher quality Teaching and Learning. Our students will be asked to collect textbooks from their lockers on Thursday/Friday of this week to ensure that they are ready for remote teaching and learning from Tuesday 12th January, a separate note with times will follow shortly. [removed] staff will meet on Monday 11th to finalise our Remote Teaching plan.

If your son/daughter is having difficulties accessing TEAMS, please visit our website or contact teams@[removed] to get assistance as soon as possible.

There will be a range of blended learning techniques used including, live lessons, pre-recorded lessons, remote group work, assignments, explanation notes and much more. We ask that you keep talking to your son/daughter so that you understand what is being asked of them and support your child in any way you can.

Our Pastoral Team, including our SNA’s will continue to work, albeit remotely, with the students that they had been assisting with during term time. In addition, we have been able to get additional support hours for SEN so the Learning Support staff will also continue to work with students that are finding remote schooling difficult. However, none of this can happen if your son/daughter does not engage with us. We will continue to monitor their progress and contact you if we see a difficulty arising to sort out how we can help."

Well done to the school in acting so fast. My son's DCG teacher has already been in touch with them about having a call tomorrow morning to discuss what they plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I think no matter what decision was made today it was a case of being damned if you do and damned if you don't, personally I think a happy medium has been reached, the option is there for the LC to go ahead and special needs kids can go back to school aswell, as long as this can proceed in a safe enough environment then I don't see a problem

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Weren’t you all complaining at how unfair predictive grades were on everyone?

I think it’s a decent compromise, and with far less numbers in schools it will be easier to keep things safe. I don’t foresee a doomsday scenario because the minister for education tried to give Leaving Cert students a fair chance

Then why only three days per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Quick question.

We keep being told that this is the most dangerous situation we have ever been in.

And if some parents of leaving cert kids are concerned in this time of unprecedented danger for the health of their son or daughter in being out and about mingling with others etc there is no provision for them at all other than go to school for 3 days or fall behind.

Literally in apparently the most dangerous time of our lifetime kids are being forced in to schools!

Talked about mixed messaging, is it any wonder public buy in is weaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Aegir wrote: »

I agree that’s a strange one. I’m guessing the three days in will be for in person lessons etc, and then work will be set for the two days off. Again a compromise to reduce movement as much as possible. It’s not about certain days being safe and certain days not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not sure how wise this 3 days a week move is but a weeks a long time in politics. Foley comes across as pure stubbornness. I suspect a u turn come Friday.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Just shy of 8000 cases today and unfortunately 17 deaths: not good in relation to todays debate around schools.

because covid will be in the school the other 2 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Not sure how on one hand Micheal can say this new strain is very dangerous while on the other hand say the schools are safe based on experience with old variants?

we could need a separate thread or poll for norma needs to go yet

Nah, what's the point....the entire cabinet are useless! From "15th count" Donnelly, to "Justice Woulfe" McEntee, Simon "Covid18" Harris...and Leo "the leak"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Covit

Read there first line
    Damd If u do. Damd if u don’t !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

I think no matter what decision was made today it was a case of being damned if you do and damned if you don't, personally I think a happy medium has been reached, the option is there for the LC to go ahead and special needs kids can go back to school aswell, as long as this can proceed in a safe enough environment then I don't see a problem

How is it a safe environment. Genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

I don’t think enough is known about this variant. Who says 2 metres is a safe distance for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or, more specifically, how is this arrangement much safer for the 6th years and their teachers than if the whole school was going back?

It’s very clear a new risk assessment needs to be carried out for schools. We are now in a totally different context to the reopening in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

7k cases today and we are all back next week, its ****ing madness

Foley about to come on Newstalk

Get your texts in. 53016
    Be heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1346876856377749504

Reading comments online I think public support would actually be there for unions to pull plant on this
    Parents don’t want the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Lots of young kids and teens around today, is there any point closing the schools if parents are just going to let their kids mix with groups of up to ten and not even wearing face masks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Thread title should be changed to " Schools closed until February, Sort of "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

I don't get why all the news headlines are saying schools are closed. They're not closed, they're open. Government are a disgrace in how they're handling this, 7,836 cases today and close contacts not being tested.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Yeah this is the thing. All major news outlets leading with schools closed. Post primary schools across the country will be open from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Norma Foley on Drivetime there. It was put to her would she herself go in and teach 25 or 30 17, 18 and 19 year olds in one room during the height of a pandemic. And yet still kept saying the evidence is schools are safe. How on earth can anyone say this with a straight face??
    She also mentioned that last data from schools was presented by Philip Nolan on Dec 22nd, when cases were at 600/700 cases. So basically before any of this went out of control. There is no way any mathematician/scientist or politician can say schools would be safe with that amount of virus around to spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Of course Norma's not going to be popular

She's making teachers have to work

Some like special needs teachers when others will be at home

You might want to put just a little thought into what you want to say before blubbering out nonsense like that.

Let's consider what we are being told for a second. Teachers are being asked to come into class to teach LC students 3 days per week. They are also supposed to somehow work around whatever timetable to have online lessons with the other 5 years. So, the whole timetable get's changed for LC students for a period of time and teachers are supposed to juggle all the other classes online. Many schools have garbage broadband access and teachers are not allowed use their personal laptops/pads for school because of GDPR. Ignore the fact that an enormous amount of teachers will have no childcare to care for their own kids who are supposed to at home for online schooling lessons.

Now, please try tell me that "making teachers have to work" in this context is a good idea. Norma is an absolute moron and either doesn't have a clue, or more likely is just a puppet who will pay come election time, if not before.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Are teachers permitted to conduct online learning in schools for other years?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement