Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

As a teacher, I really do not want the schools to close but my huge concern is that we are only in early October and we have already had a lot of teachers off on Covid related leave.

What will happen when we can't replace the teachers and SNAs who are off.

I got a last minute replacement into my Special Ed room last week and if I didn't, we would have been in deep trouble as my classroom can not function without full staff attendance.

Like I said before, it is a huge liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

uli84 wrote: »
    Right, just had a quick glance over this thread and all that “extra week” here/there or “move online” gave me that impression

Perhaps then you should have read the thread properly. Extra week here and there as you put it is a direct result if the circuit breaker talk in the media - adding an extra week in to midterm was raised in the Dail. It’s not unexpected for those involved in education or those who it will impact to discuss such suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

https://twitter.com/DeeGilhawley/status/1315000670643261448?s=19

Public Health England figures shows that schools are the highest contributors of outbreaks over there. Why would it be any different here?
    36% of outbreaks occurred in educational settings

When Nolan is explaining to us why we had to close schools, he will, like he has done previously site international evidence.

Would be great if we had our own evidence, but see no evil no hear no evil, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

uli84 wrote: »
    Right, just had a quick glance over this thread and all that “extra week” here/there or “move online” gave me that impression

God forbid teachers thinking of their own health and the health of their loved ones. We were f*cked back into schools with a bit of sanitiser and a visor and told get on with it. A first time TD was given one of the most important ministerial roles in the government at any time, let alone during a pandemic. She's completely out of her depth and evokes no confidence or leadership. All I'd say is thank goodness she's not a teacher any more as you can tell a mile away she'd be stone useless.

I can take my class of 30 for PE in the PE hall during school hours yet I can't take 14 of those exact same boys for GAA training that evening due to restrictions. How does that make sense?

Very few teachers will want to work from home. Outsiders will say quit the job or go on Covid payment if schools close but I did not become a teacher to endanger my health or the health of others. The most important duty for me as a teacher is to ensure the kids I teach are safe and happy in school. That is simply not possible at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Coneygree wrote: »
    The most important duty for me as a teacher is to ensure the kids I teach are safe and happy in school.

This is the most important thing about school for me. Academics and learning is a byproduct of being happy in school. Definitely at primary level I see myself more as a facilitator of learning. Kids learn more from each other. Teaching/learning online is more robotic. That sense of being able to go on a tangent brought about by kids thinking disappears.

Half in, half out is more palatable for me than all out. If we are all out then it can only be fo4 a very specific short period of time, teaching is all about being able to read the faces in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The whole all in with 1m distancing only or all out is far out of whack with international experience. It should be (and should have been) a staggered approach to see where transmission is happening the worst. That’s what annoys me most about the circuit breaker approach. If they just close primary and post primary and even if the numbers drop we don’t actually learn anything about whether closing the schools helped or not because it’s all being done at once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

The whole all in with 1m distancing only or all out is far out of whack with international experience. It should be (and should have been) a staggered approach to see where transmission is happening the worst. That’s what annoys me most about the circuit breaker approach. If they just close primary and post primary and even if the numbers drop we don’t actually learn anything about whether closing the schools helped or not because it’s all being done at once

At this point in time I don’t think schools are the driving force behind rising infections however it is extremely unrealistic to think that having a million plus adults / students on the move and working in the conditions we have does not contribute to the spread. In my opinion by opening the schools in the current format the gov has created an expectation that we have some form of normality this coupled with the consistent message that schools are not a concern further allows people to behave in ways which are not conducive to stopping the spread of covid 19. I feel the gov have gone so far down the rabbit hole of schools are grand all children in schools at once no problem that we will continue on this seesaw of will we won’t we close/ open as opposed to having a graduated return based on prevalent conditions which may have gotten us further into Winter without all the whoo ha and subsequent upheaval.
    The goal should always have been - open schools in a manner that can keep them open and have minimal disruption on education. Not a political we are opening the schools aren’t we great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

hi all,
    as the title suggests if, in the worst case scenario, the schools shut again, what steps will you be taking to work from home plus teach the kids at the same time?
    we found it very difficult last time and we imo didn't get a lot of support from the primary school.
    two daughters age 8 and 5.

what suggestions do people have that might help others (including myself) to get a system in place that allows them to wfh and teach the kids.
    what systems or tips do you have that might help others manage the two objectives?
    thanks.

also please can we keep this thread away from if the schools will or wont close, this is purely for the worst case scenario.
    Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Some secondary schools and colleges were on distant learning already in parts of the country with high infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Is there anywhere I can get information about what schools have covid cases? Two schools near me have multiple cases and one has closed down and also the crèche yet there’s nothing written about it anywhere I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Is there anywhere I can get information about what schools have covid cases? Two schools near me have multiple cases and one has closed down and also the crèche yet there’s nothing written about it anywhere I can see.

Facebook group called Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools "Ireland

https://twitter.com/MartinaBroe1/status/1315054791228379136

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1315297148968329223

Not sure if he's fully correct there tbh.
    Even if it's a lower spreader (which I'm not entirely sure it is tbh) than what about the kids that DO become infected with COVID-19.

Sure, some will be asymptomatic and that's good for them, no issues, but what about the ones who DO feel sick. Covid has shown to give long-lasting issues to your body with some people. I'm not sure if that's only people in their 50/60s, but it could perhaps give you future issues you're not aware of yet.

So we're just going to forget about those kids who get infected and feel sick by their asymptomatic classmates because a lot of them don't feel any symptoms?

Coming from someone who's 18 and literally IN that minority, that's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Unions really need to start stepping in here for the safety of both their members and students, this narrative of schools can never be dangerous is ridiculous at this stage, its too much.

MM takes eveidence from global lockdown on effects on children but doesnt take evidence from global lockdown on effects of reopening schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Right - who thinks that we will make it to the Halloween Break with Schools
    open ?

And who think that they will be shut for a number of weeks after the Break ?

Despite what the Govt and Dept of Education are insisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SusanC10 wrote: »
    open ?

Judging from both the Donnelly comments today and MM in recent days, schools are not going to close for more than the usual. Level 3 seems to be where they want to lay their hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

SusanC10 wrote: »
    open ?

Not sure if we can make that call right now. Honestly we just need to see how cases are come October 23rd. But honestly the week of Halloween isn't going to be great with "compliance" to guidelines especially if they're not enforced strictly (outside border control)

There isn't enough Gardaí to stop all the house parties Halloween night/Halloween weekend. This would inevitably make cases rise, on top of people also going to NI to buy fireworks which is inevitable.

We shall wait and see...

But if you're asking a "guess" I would think we would be back the next week but there will be a huge fuss over it. Or the government will be forced into the 2 week midterm position. Or we're Level 5 by Halloween. There's many many directions this could go, but all end very poorly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

I think bar going to level 5 or parents pulling out kids en masse schools will stay open.

It doesn't make sense though; they're ignoring 2 of the largest studies in the world done (already posted here) that shows schools are a huge concern. They're ignoring measures that other schools around the world have taken in order to keep people safer which we aren't doing. They're ignoring the fact that students & teachers are out, classes and schools are closing down due to issues with quarantine and positive tests and some have already had to quarantine multiple times also due to close contacts happening elsewhere (parents workplaces or family friends they met with). They're ignoring the fact that children 10 years of age contract and spread the virus at least as well as adults do yet they're not required to wear masks as in secondary.
    So Martin wants to drone on about the importance of school for kids-which it is hugely important (and lets not forget, for the economy too) - but he and his government won't implement stronger safety measures and remote learning plans & resources for that in order to ensure they stay open and provide a continuity of education for those having to leave the classroom. He's ignoring the fact that there are thousands out there who are or live with high risk family members who have either pulled their kids out of school or live with immense stress and worry because there is no choice. The turning of a blind eye to it all makes me so angry.

• Advertisement

Was reading that earlier too similar for words

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Show me your proof for kids spreading it? Sweden already said kids transmission is very low and unlikely

I think it's idiotic when people suggest kids are unlikely to spread Covid. Gathering local evidence is a challenge when the government have been actively suppressing the data by refusing to acknowledge what a close contact is when it comes to schools.

It's interesting to see that you blamed pubs and social gatherings as the spread events while holding up Sweden as the golden example of how to keep cases low. You haven't looked at Sweden very closely at all if you believe that. The average class size in Sweden is also far lower than ours at about 20 pupils or less per class. I can tell you from personal experience that the classrooms are also more spacious than the dog boxes they call classrooms here. However, if you think a prefab with no heating is ok to cram 30 students into, there's no hope in changing your mind about the primary reason for the spread in Ireland.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

interesting to see restaurants association looking to close all restaurants for month of November so they can open up for property for xmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

sobering reading:

PLAN NEEDED Coronavirus – Ireland could face 5 years of restrictions as Level 3 ‘not good enough’ to tackle rising cases, prof says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/6007838/coronavirus-ireland-five-years-level-3-lockdown-restrictions/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

combat14 wrote: »
    sobering reading:

PLAN NEEDED Coronavirus – Ireland could face 5 years of restrictions as Level 3 ‘not good enough’ to tackle rising cases, prof says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/6007838/coronavirus-ireland-five-years-level-3-lockdown-restrictions/amp/

Before anyone embraces that sobering read, it's McConkey, again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Wow........

This twitter thread and our posts here are eerily similar because many of us can cut through the bs and see what's going on. The government clearly take us for fools. I hope it all comes out in a very clear and widespread manner so that people can make the best decisions for their families and so we can all demand better.

This is some BÚLLSHÍT.

Who and what is SAGE? Drawing a blank here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Wow........

This twitter thread and our posts here are eerily similar because many of us can cut through the bs and see what's going on. The government clearly take us for fools. I hope it all comes out in a very clear and widespread manner so that people can make the best decisions for their families and so we can all demand better.

This is some BÚLLSHÍT.

Who and what is SAGE? Drawing a blank here.

Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies. Kinda like their version of NPHET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Unions really need to start stepping in here for the safety of both their members and students, this narrative of schools can never be dangerous is ridiculous at this stage, its too much.

I don’t get this?
    Teachers are front line essential workers aren’t they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement