Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

If there are already 2 classrooms at home sure they could divide up the other classes as well across all the space.

They cant get teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It would also appear public health were not informing the principal of new infections this week in students and the information came from parents.

So 2 out of 5 classes are off, staff are self isolating and they are getting fúck all information from public health.

It would of being stupidly dangerous to keep the school open, especially considering the area has 3+ times the national average of infection.

But here we are, the line has to hold, for the "greater good".

Yer sacrifice will not be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I don't understand why they had to make a big public song and dance about it. Surely if it was really that bad then they could tell the parents of the situation and most would probably keep their kids at home for a day or two. If there were one or two that couldn't then they could send their kids in as normal but there would be very little mixing then.

If there are already 2 classrooms at home sure they could divide up the other classes as well across all the space.

They did tell the parents and in this digital age it surprise surprise went viral. Not sure that equates to the school making a song and dance about it. School had to have a BOM meeting to implement a decision such as this.

re comment re using available space that depends on having bodies available and it has been highlighted that 3 staff are isolating following PH guidance and the school can not get subs.

Boggles wrote: »
    It would also appear public health were not informing the principal of new infections this week in students and the information came from parents.

So 2 out of 5 classes are off, staff are self isolating and they are getting fúck all information from public health.

It would of being stupidly dangerous to keep the school open, especially considering the area has 3+ times the national average of infection.

As far as I’m aware thats standard practice unless parents inform the school ( and there is no onus on them to do so ) the school don’t know. It was one of the issues highlighted in the Cork school case which subsequently lead to 47 cases in the school community.

Boggles wrote: »

All this on the hokum #GRMA day :D Well the lack of support for the principal from the DES speaks volumes.

The HSE are making a decision based on a floorplan of classrooms from across the country. They are not joining the dots regarding the fact that the area is one of the highest per 100,000 in the country and that 10% of the school has it and the staff including the princupal who more than likely is a teaching principal are isolating due to be ing close contacts and they cant get subs. THis decision was not made lightly and was made in conjunction with BOM. Be interesting to see what happens Monday

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    All this on the hokum #GRMA day :D Well the lack of support for the principal from the DES speaks volumes.

The HSE are making a decision based on a floorplan of classrooms from across the country. They are not joining the dots regarding the fact that the area is one of the highest per 100,000 in the country and that 10% of the school has it and the staff including the princupal who more than likely is a teaching principal are isolating due to be ing close contacts and they cant get subs. THis decision was not made lightly and was made in conjunction with BOM. Be interesting to see what happens Monday

There is a lovely worded letter to parents along the lines of we are open on Mon but will support the decision made by parents - back to you DES

lulublue22 wrote: »
    There is a lovely worded letter to parents along the lines of we are open on Mon but will support the decision made by parents - back to you DES

Hopefully community will back him. School open Monday and empty

Unless the local inspector rocks up to sub I don’t know what the DES expect the school to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They did tell the parents and in this digital age it surprise surprise went viral. Not sure that equates to the school making a song and dance about it. School had to have a BOM meeting to implement a decision such as this.

re comment re using available space that depends on having bodies available and it has been highlighted that 3 staff are isolating following PH guidance and the school can not get subs.

No, they didn't just say it to the parents. They announced that they were closing the school. They gave the parents no option.

No, they didn't just say it to the parents. They announced that they were closing the school. They gave the parents no option.

THe BOM is made up with parents on it.

• Advertisement

THe BOM is made up with parents on it.

And? ..........somehow that means that they didn't publicly announce a school closure rather than just quietly telling parents that, given the circumstances, the teachers would be understanding if the parents decided not to bring their children to the school for the week?

The difference between doing it the smart way and the way they did it would be that the teachers wouldn't be able to have a nice lie on on Monday I suppose. They'd have to get up and go in in case any parents still wanted to send their kids in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭History Queen

And? ..........somehow that means that they didn't publicly announce a school closure rather than just quietly telling parents that, given the circumstances, the teachers would be understanding if the parents decided not to bring their children to the school for the week?

The difference between doing it the smart way and the way they did it would be that the teachers wouldn't be able to have a nice lie on on Monday I suppose. They'd have to get up and go in in case any parents still wanted to send their kids in

Do you actually believe what you just suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Ah Donald man, you were doing so well and then the mask slips with silliness like this....

Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What is that to achieve if they cannot find subs?

Do you actually believe what you just said?

Yes.

The fact that there might be some parents on the BOM does not mean that the school did not announce it was closing.

I'm kind of surprised that you think it does

As for the other point, yes, that is also true. If they had been allowed to officially close the school they could have had a lie on Monday. If they kept the school open and told parents the teachers would understand if the parents did not send their kids in, the teachers would have had to turn up as normal in case any did.

Which bit of the logic are you having difficulty with?

What is that to achieve?

Well it would mean smaller circles of contact. No? Easier to social distance. Less in each room.

Yes.

The fact that there might be some parents on the BOM does not mean that the school did not announce it was closing.

As for the other point, yes, that is also true. If they had been allowed to officially close the school they could have had a lie on Monday. If they kept the school open and told parents the teachers would understand if the parents did not send their kids in, the teachers would have had to turn up as normal in case any did.

The school would of course make a legitimate announcement to parents that they are closing because of covid concerns. Your suggestion that they should try do so secretly is ludicrous. Just imagine that leaking to media (I'm not even going to get in to the ethics of it) , more fodder for those who dislike teachers.

The only thing I'm having difficulty with is your blatent disregard of people.

Agh your true colours are showing now I was wondering how long it would take - Totally that schools fault - how dare they hold a BOM to take steps to address an issue of concern thanks be to god the ruse has been rumbled and those lazy ass teachers won’t get a lie in on Mon oh other than the 3/5 of the staff who are isolating.

The school would of course make a legitimate announcement to parents that they are closing because of covid concerns. Your suggestion that they should try do so secretly is ludicrous. Just imagine that leaking to media (I'm not even going to get in to the ethics of it) , more fodder for those who dislike teachers.

The only thing I'm having difficulty with is your blatent disregard of people.

I never said that they should close. Secretly or not. If they were actually worried about "public health" they could have just pointed out to the parents that there were a lot of cases in the school right now and if any parent decided not to send their children next week then they would understand. Lets be realistic, all parents would have already known about the cases in the school.

There is no obligation on the teachers to report if a child misses a day. There is an obligation in terms of missing a lot of days but not a day or two. And even when it is reported, it rarely comes to anything unless it is serious.

The "blatent disregard" (sic) appears to be on the side of the teachers who just wanted to shut up shop rather than letting individual parents choose. It would have likely inconvenienced some parents.

Well it would mean smaller circles of contact. No? Easier to social distance. Less in each room.

Are you going down to sub in the school seeing as the principal, has plenty said they cannot source subs?

• Advertisement

Yes.

It was closing the schools building and moving online. You really are clutching st straws.

Agh your true colours are showing now I was wondering how long it would take - Totally that schools fault - how dare they hold a BOM to take steps to address an issue of concern thanks be to god the ruse has been rumbled and those lazy ass teachers won’t get a lie in on Mon oh other than the 3/5 of the staff who are isolating.

How do you know how long they are isolating for? I'd say it is likely that they are all due back on the Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Are you going down to sub in the school seeing as the principal, has plenty said they cannot source subs?

That I would pay to see!

I never said that they should close. Secretly or not. If they were actually worried about "public health" they could have just pointed out to the parents that there were a lot of cases in the school right now and if any parent decided not to send their children next week then they would understand. Lets be realistic, all parents would have already known about the cases in the school.

There is no obligation on the teachers to report if a child misses a day. There is an obligation in terms of missing a lot of days but not a day or two. And even when it is reported, it rarely comes to anything unless it is serious.

The "blatent disregard" (sic) appears to be on the side of the teachers who just wanted to shut up shop rather than letting individual parents choose. It would have likely inconvenienced some parents.

Actually there is a legal obligation to report if a child misses a day but don't let legalities and details slow your roll

It was closing the schools building and moving online. You really are clutching st straws.

Netflix?

Actually there is a legal obligation to report if a child misses a day but don't let legalities and details slow your roll

Grand. The army rangers will be busy on Monday storming all the houses when all the reports come flooding in about children not arriving that morning for their first missed day at school of the year.

BTW, contact the citizens information to tell them to update their website. As I had thought, they say the limit is 20 days rather than 1 day for a report to be sent
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/attendance_and_discipline_in_schools/school_attendance.html

Netflix?

OMG, you are so edgy. Marc MCSharry isn't you name by any chance?

There is an obligation on all schools to record attendance and report(only an issue once a student misses 20days). Individual days are not reported, I'm not sure what your point is regarding that?

I'm curious, what do you think is the motivation for the school to want to close rather than let parents choose?

Netflix?

The Donald is on a roll ! You go Donald sock it to those lazy ass teachers. Lets see how much affirmation you can get for this very well played trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Netflix?
    Grand. The army rangers will be busy on Monday storming all the houses when all the reports come flooding in about children not arriving that morning for their first missed day at school of the year.

You obviously have nothing useful to add to the thread so do everyone a favor and don't post in here again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement