Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

How do you know how long they are isolating for? I'd say it is likely that they are all due back on the Monday.

Likely based on.....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Netflix?

If anyone should Netflix and chill here it's probably you.

How many times are you seriously going to push an angle about keeping the school open in all the classes while ignoring the fact they haven't got enough teachers? I don't understand how they can even announce they're opening on Monday without enough staff. The principal must have told the DES the sub issue is your problem then.

Does anyone know what sanctions a school could face of they defy DES? I'm just curious, if for example, Claremorris decided not to reopen, what could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Does anyone know what sanctions a school could face of they defy DES? I'm just curious, if for example, Claremorris decided not to reopen, what could happen?

If as looks probable that they cannot source enough subs hen are the parents of those classes informed that the classes have to stay at home?

Do they do it Su day or wait until Monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Don’t know could possibly dock pay. Some posters have raised the issue of withdrawing funding - not sure how that could work. Obviously there must be some sanctions for not following employers instructions.
    I think the main issue is the sub one - how is the school expected to reopen with 2 teachers and no subs - that’s a health and safety issue.
    I think however this may be allowed die a quiet death - the school will say they are open the community will keep children at home , online lessons will go ahead and everyone will pretend its operating as normal including the DES

• Advertisement

If as looks probable that they cannot source enough subs hen are the parents of those classes informed that the classes have to stay at home?

Do they do it Su day or wait until Monday morning?

The DES have put the principal in such an impossible position. It appears, all in the interest of saving face...

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Don’t know could possibly dock pay. Some posters have raised the issue of withdrawing funding - not sure how that could work. Obviously there must be some sanctions for not following employers instructions.
    I think the main issue is the sub one - how is the school expected to reopen with 2 teachers and no subs - that’s a health and safety issue.
    I think however this may be allowed die a quiet death - the school will say they are open the community will keep children at home , online lessons will go ahead and everyone will pretend its operating as normal including the DES

Yes I agree with you that that is possibly what will happen. I was just wondering what the ramifications might be, you'd think the INTO would back a school who are pushing a health and safety issue. Isn't the BOM ultimately responsible in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yes I agree with you that that is possibly what will happen. I was just wondering what the ramifications might be, you'd think the INTO would back a school who are pushing a health and safety issue. Isn't the BOM ultimately responsible in that regard?

Can they disband the BOM?

khalessi wrote: »

Good question, I don't know. I wonder has the precedent ever been set. I never had much regard for DES but this year takes the biscuit. The utter contempt in which they hold those working in schools is scandalous.

It’s actually an interesting one as well as the covid issue which according to the school is a question of health and safety and not according to PH .
    you also have the sub issue which is most definitely a health and safety issue. The BOM are responsible for providing a safe working environment so should well be in their right to close on h&s grounds on sub issue alone. I’m not surprised INTO are quiet they’re a bit of a wet paper bag in my opinion unless they are working behind the scenes.

• Advertisement

lulublue22 wrote: »
    It’s actually an interesting one as well as the covid issue which according to the school is a question of health and safety and not according to PH .
    you also have the sub issue which is most definitely a health and safety issue. The BOM are responsible for providing a safe working environment so should well be in their right to close on h&s grounds on sub issue alone. I’m not surprised INTO are quiet they’re a bit of a wet paper bag in my opinion unless they are working behind the scenes.

I'm postprimary so I'm not familiar with how useful or otherwise the INTO are on individual issues. Nationally, from the outside looking in, I find them ineffective but the same could be said of my own union.

I'm postprimary so I'm not familiar with how useful or otherwise the INTO are on individual issues. Nationally, from the outside looking in, I find them ineffective but the same could be said of my own union.

I’ve never had direct need of them so can’t comment on how they are on an individual basis. Nationally I find them very much yes sir yes sir . very little back bone. I would have expected a public response to this from them but so far nada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

You can only disband the BOM after protracted legal issue where the BOM has been demonstrably negligent and consistently ignoring the govt circulars. It wouldn't hold up in the court on this one, and the DES wouldn't want it to go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Yes.
    So, you think they pulled this stunt so less than 5 teachers could stay in bed on Monday? :confused:

Honestly, it's no wonder this thread is so illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Cut the power to the building or have the boiler malfunction
    Therefore it cannot open due to H&S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The BOM is the responsibility of the patron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Is that Facebook group gone? Or did I leave the group when I took a break from social media recently? Can’t find it anywhere

Is that Facebook group gone? Or did I leave the group when I took a break from social media recently? Can’t find it anywhere

Still there and growing
    Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools "Ireland

Still there and growing
    Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools "Ireland

It’s not showing up on group search for me. Did they make it private?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Mass Covid-19 testing should be implemented in schools across England, teachers’ leaders have said, amid fury in the north at the speed at which testing has been rolled out in new hotspots in London and the south-east.

Testing should also be extended to primaries, according to the largest education union, which along with others is calling for the closure of schools and a switch to remote learning before the Christmas break.

Students voice concerns over accuracy of rapid Covid tests in UK
    Read more
    “We predict that when this testing happens many children will have to be sent home on public health advice. This will lead in practice to a chaotic closure in the last week of term,” said Kevin Courtney, the joint general secretary of the National Education Union.

He said new Office for National Statistics figures showing coronavirus cases were rising again in secondary and primary schools “should be very worrying to the government – especially in the run-up to Christmas”.

Secondary school children in years 7 to 11 have the highest rate of any of the demographic groups, with more than 2% having the virus.

• Advertisement

not that i am aware of
    DId you stick it in the normal search bar

you need to request to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Were you blocked perhaps? I was. Don't know why.

Log out of FB and see if it appears then with a "join" button. It is private, but should appear if you're not blocked. If it appears when you're logged out but not logged in then you're probably blocked.

Were you blocked perhaps? I was. Don't know why.

Log out of FB and see if it appears then with a "join" button. It is private, but should appear if you're not blocked. If it appears when you're logged out but not logged in then you're probably blocked.

I’m blocked. I was not expecting that tbh!

you could contact them Martina B on social media and ask why

The admins seem to block lots of people. Some are blocked because they are friends of others that have been causing issues on the page.

It’s a big group to be fair to them. I do not envy them trying to mod it

I was interested to see the discussion. We’re still to’ing and fro’ing on keeping our kiddo out from the Friday as well so wondered what other parents were thinking. My best friend is pulling early. As is another friend. But it’s hard to know if it’s just the group I’m in being cautious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I posted just once, so can only assume that's what got me blocked, though I don't understand why it would.

It’s a big group to be fair to them. I do not envy them trying to mod it

I was interested to see the discussion. We’re still to’ing and fro’ing on keeping our kiddo out from the Friday as well so wondered what other parents were thinking. My best friend is pulling early. As is another friend. But it’s hard to know if it’s just the group I’m in being cautious

I've been told of 7 children in my class whose last day with be the 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,209 ✭✭✭✭km79

4 new cases in Claremorris school actually
    3 of them were in school Thursday
    Principal contact tracing all weekend no doubt
    And the school remains open he and many others will spend their Xmas holidays doing the same while Norma and all her inspectors will be enjoying their well earned break

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement