Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Principal from Claremorris was on radio today came across as reasonable and rational. Public experts told them no need to close as junior classes not affected. The school is from 2nd to 6th class senior primary school. You think they would at least look up the school they are dealing with.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11262229 on about 25 minutes into the show

Listen to Minister afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

km79 wrote: »
    Principal contact tracing all weekend no doubt

Sorry i'm not smart enough, can you explain what you mean? Is this unqualified single person interested in school to remain open trying to trace household contacts?

khalessi wrote: »
    about 25 minutes

All of us are crying our life is destroyed, we shouldn't go to the pub regardless we can.. After all of that - do we really need to have 25 minutes of our lives each spend on this? :eek:

Thats me wrote: »
    All of us are crying our life is destroyed, we shouldn't go to the pub regardless we can.. After all of that - do we really need to have 25 minutes of our lives each spend on this? :eek:

I meant he is on starting at the 25th minute

Sorry i'm not smart enough, can you explain what you mean? Is this unqualified single person interested in school to remain open trying to trace household contacts?

Could you explain unqualified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,209 ✭✭✭✭km79

And the whole paragraph! I can’t make sense of any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Did you type that while in the pub? Totally incoherent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

It’s a big group to be fair to them. I do not envy them trying to mod it

I was interested to see the discussion. We’re still to’ing and fro’ing on keeping our kiddo out from the Friday as well so wondered what other parents were thinking. My best friend is pulling early. As is another friend. But it’s hard to know if it’s just the group I’m in being cautious

There's a lot of commentary on the Claremorris school at the moment, and lots of cases going up now, seems to be more primary schools and a few creches too.

We're keeping our kids out from the Friday (and we're not even going visiting anyone) and also 1-2 weeks after school is to go back.

A sweet moment to lighten the mood. Enjoy
    https://twitter.com/D_Rob__/status/1337557356738174980

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Principal from Claremorris was on radio today came across as reasonable and rational. Public experts told them no need to close as junior classes not affected. The school is from 2nd to 6th class senior primary school. You think they would at least look up the school they are dealing with.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11262229 on about 25 minutes into the show

Just listened there - Principal came across very well - Minister is afraid if a school with 10% infection rate in a community with 3 x the national incidence rate closes than the entire education system will collapse and there will be chaos. Plus PH in kildare are great altogether ( I thought we were talking about the school in Claremorris ) and no mention of sub issue or lack of support from DES to source subs. No fear the local inspector will be co- opted to sub.

• Advertisement

I mean school principal is unlikely the person qualified to do contact tracing. Aren't people need to be specially trained to do this job?

I mean school principal is unlikely the person qualified to do contact tracing. Aren't people need to be specially trained to do this job?

You obviously aren't aware of the role they play so when it comes to schools.

Don't you just love when people who don't know feel the need to try and be smart with their comments.

Who do you think liaise with PH - there has been another confirmed positive yesterday in the school. Due to GDPR Principal is the one who has access to contact details in school. He will have to go through every contact that child has had while in school and pass on the details name /number to the PH. Why do you think the DES wanted personal phone numbers of principals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBF we now have two weeks to go and the government mantra is to keep the schools open, which has been pretty successful.

is_that_so wrote: »
    TBF we now have two weeks to go and the government mantra is to keep the schools open, which has been pretty successful.

One size doesn't fit all comes to mind.

Be interesting to see what happens with this school tomorrow.

I don’t know what relevance that has in relation to the school in Claremorris ? Most people from the outset have been looking for a more nuanced response than lets keep the schools open at all costs. It certainly has been a successful policy in terms of my school doesn’t make it right that the school in Claremorris with a 10 % infection rate remains open.

One size doesn't fit all comes to mind.

Be interesting to see what happens with this school tomorrow.
    In principle with this policy it does.

Found this on kids being infected by COVID, still a lot of work to do by the looks of it, but interesting nonetheless.
    “Children are very much adapted to respond — and very well equipped to respond — to new viruses,” says Donna Farber, an immunologist at Columbia University in New York City. Even when they are infected with SARS-CoV-2, children are most likely to experience mild or asymptomatic illness.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03496-7

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I don’t know what relevance that has in relation to the school in Claremorris ? Most people from the outset have been looking for a more nuanced response than lets keep the schools open at all costs. It certainly has been a successful policy in terms of my school doesn’t make it right that the school in Claremorris with a 10 % infection rate remains open.
    Not sure how you imagine I have any influence on the DES here. That's what they have been doing, as I've pointed out.

How does this reference a school with 3 out of 5 staff absent cant get subs and a minimum of 13 cases out of 123 in one of the highest per 100,000 covid communities in the country?

They had 4 more cases yesterday and more today apparently and the knowledgable public health when they rang about the school told him that Junior classes would not be badly effected. Sooo true the school does not have junior classes, it runs from second to sixth, basic knowledge the PH should have had.

Not sure how you imagine I have any influence on the DES here, that's what they have been doing, as I've pointed out.

Not sure why you think I feel you do ? You responded to a post specifically about the school in Claremorris - not schools in general - with a general the govs policy of keeping school open has been successful. The topic under discussion was whether it is right for the school in Claremorris to remain open with a 10% infection rate in an area with 3x the national incidence rate.

• Advertisement

In principle with this policy it does.

So a school with over 10% of students with positive cases and rising daily should remain open.

Does the same apply to the bakery in Drogheda which was ordered to shut?

Look the right thing in this case was for the school to be allowed go online for the remaining 7 days of the school term. Anyone arguing against that is gone off the reservation.

How does this reference a school with 3 out of 5 staff absent cant get subs and a minimum of 13 cases out of 123 in one of the highest per 100,000 covid communities in the country?

They had 4 more cases yesterday and more today apparently and the knowledgable public when they rang about the school told him that Junior classes would not be badly effected. Sooo true the school does not have junior classes, it runs from second to sixth, basic knowledge the PH should have had.
    Eh, it's a reminder of what government policy. I don't actually make it but I can see what they are doing and why. Given this they will very likely push through these two weeks in the same manner, by keeping every school open.

I'm just wondering where all the enhanced support Norma told principals they would have after midterm, went to.

Eh, it's a reminder of what government policy. I don't actually make it but I can see what they are doing and why. Given this they will very likely push through these two weeks in the same manner, by keeping every school open.

Which is ridiculous in the case of Claremorris, wouldn't you agree?

So a school with over 10% of students with positive cases and rising daily should remain open.

Does the same apply to the bakery in Drogheda which was ordered to shut?

Look the right thing in this case was for the school to be allowed go online for the remaining 7 days of the school term. Anyone arguing against that is gone off the reservation.
    You should ask the minister. McCloskeys chose to close themselves and they are a private business.

Which is ridiculous in the case of Claremorris, wouldn't you agree?
    I've no idea, but it does look like there's a unilateral decision which the DES doesn't like.

I've no idea, but it does look like there's a unilateral decision which the DES doesn't like.

You can still have an opinion on it, despite the DES

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Not sure why you think I feel you do ? You responded to a post specifically about the school in Claremorris - not schools in general - with a general the govs policy of keeping school open has been successful. The topic under discussion was whether it is right for the school in Claremorris to remain open with a 10% infection rate in an area with 3x the national incidence rate.
    Sure and that policy is to leave all schools open, unless I assume there is some HSE input which says otherwise.

You can still have an opinion on it, despite the DES
    I really don't have one on this, apart from noting the two weeks left. I prefer to let those tasked with such calls to decide, i.e. the HSE public teams and the DES.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering where all the enhanced support Norma told principals they would have after midterm, went to.

Smoke and mirrors. All bluster to appease the likes of the INTO who then don't follow up when it actually doesn't happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement