Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

is_that_so wrote: »
    You should ask the minister. McCloskeys chose to close themselves and they are a private business.

Ohh so, so wrong. They were ordered to close by public health. At least have your facts straight.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure and that policy is to leave all schools open, unless I assume there is some HSE input which says otherwise.

The BOM had made the decision on health and safety grounds due to being unable to source subs. This is all in the public domain due to the excellent principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ohh so, so wrong. They were ordered to close by public health. At least have your facts straight.
    Any links I've seen say they closed voluntarily but I like learning so please point me to one that states this.

Thats me wrote: »
    I mean school principal is unlikely the person qualified to do contact tracing. Aren't people need to be specially trained to do this job?

The person most qualified to do on the ground contact tracing is the person who knows the local details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

germany now closing their schools from 16 dec to 12 jan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

combat14 wrote: »
    germany now closing their schools from 16 dec to 12 jan

With infection rates more than 4 times ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

With infection rates more than 4 times ours.

What is your view on the school in Claremorris - 10% infection rate in an area with 2.7 x the national incidence rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ilovegalway

My personal view of this is that my own lad was last weekend a happy boy, we trusted the system and his teacher is amazing. On Thursday morning he became a close contact. Now as of today, 6 of his friends in his class tested positive. We have gone through hell and back. But we are the lucky people, some of his friends will be eating Christmas Dinner in isolation. We all talk about well being, the department has let these boys down. The department decided to keep his school opened and have caused stress and anxiety.
    The only support they are getting is from this wonderful teacher.

His principal is an amazing man that has put the health and well being first over everything.

I feel let down by the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

My personal view of this is that my own lad was last weekend a happy boy, we trusted the system and his teacher is amazing. On Thursday morning he became a close contact. Now as of today, 6 of his friends in his class tested positive. We have gone through hell and back. But we are the lucky people, some of his friends will be eating Christmas Dinner in isolation. We all talk about well being, the department has let these boys down. The department decided to keep his school opened and have caused stress and anxiety.

His principal is an amazing man that has put the health and well being first over everything.

Sorry you are going through this and I hope everyone gets through it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/12/13/additional-confirmed-covid-cases-at-mayo-school-ordered-to-reopen-tomorrow/?fbclid=IwAR3qcuzvHNGXek1pFaXA99rJeKogFFOGucifIU15oVPaAywvV6B7fYtMfu4

Principal is showing great leadership throughout this . Fair play to him. Don’t envy him. I am sure he has been working all weekend again and is likely to be over Xmas as well as he must be contactable at all times . Unlike the Dept of Education..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

lulublue22 wrote: »
    What is your view on the school in Claremorris - 10% infection rate in an area with 2.7 x the national incidence rate ?

I think it should be closed. I also think schools should close here this Friday, to give a full 2 week break, as well as a 1 week gap to Christmas day for children and teachers meeting parents, grandparents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

As expected my sons school who had initially planned to close on the 18th have reversed that decision after the BOM made contact with DOE .
    School will open on the Monday and two hours on the Tuesday but parents who wish for pupils to finish on the 18th may do so at own discretion.

So basically they were told to remain open or the BOM changed minds amid current DOE stance with other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/12/13/additional-confirmed-covid-cases-at-mayo-school-ordered-to-reopen-tomorrow/?fbclid=IwAR3qcuzvHNGXek1pFaXA99rJeKogFFOGucifIU15oVPaAywvV6B7fYtMfu4

Principal is showing great leadership throughout this . Fair play to him. Don’t envy him. I am sure he has been working all weekend again and is likely to be over Xmas as well as he must be contactable at all times . Unlike the Dept of Education..........

And what would change if department of education worked through the weekend? He is in position of authority so something like this might always happen. He doesn't have to work but it is his school and he is paid to run that school. Everyone can say no to the job.

I actually don't care if school is closed or not, it's an individual case and should be treated as such. And yes there will be people who will eat Christmas dinner in self isolation. We can't just in general close everything so people can spend their Christmas dinner with vulnerable family members. It's not sort of God given right that everyone has. (I might be uncaring but I know a bit about it because I don't expect to see my friends and family for at least another 6 months. There is no point whinging about it.)

meeeeh wrote: »
    And what would change if department of education worked through the weekend? He is in position of authority so something like this might always happen. He doesn't have to work but it is his school and he is paid to run that school. Everyone can say no to the job.

I actually don't care if school is closed or not, it's an individual case and should be treated as such. And yes there will be people who will eat Christmas dinner in self isolation. We can't just in general close everything so people can spend their Christmas dinner with vulnerable family members. It's not sort of God given right that everyone has. (I might be uncaring but I know a bit about it because I don't expect to see my friends and family for at least another 6 months. There is no point whinging about it.)

Yes you are uncaring - it’s like anything if it doesn’t affect you directly who cares - I’m sure the poster whose child is currently sick cares. A little empathy goes a long way. There is a difference as an adult not seeing relatives and children becoming ill over Christmas due to a poor decision by PH

They are not contactable during the working week !

harr wrote: »
    As expected my sons school who had initially planned to close on the 18th have reversed that decision after the BOM made contact with DOE .
    School will open on the Monday and two hours on the Tuesday but parents who wish for pupils to finish on the 18th may do so at own discretion.

So basically they were told to remain open or the BOM changed minds amid current DOE stance with other schools.

I would imagine that school inspector when informed (as they have to be) told the school they cannot close earlier than stated on the standardised school calendar.

Yes you are uncaring - it’s like anything if it doesn’t affect you directly who cares - I’m sure the poster whose child is currently sick cares. A little empathy goes a long way. There is a difference as an adult not seeing relatives and children becoming ill over Christmas due to a poor decision by PH

A total me feiner.

Sorry to hear wishing your son a speedy recovery.

A total me feiner.

No I'm not. If I was me feiner I'd pack my family on the plane, visit my parents and enjoy myself where the things were a lot more open during the summer.

I can feel sorry for people who might affected but I don't think that's the reason to change policy. As I don't think travel advice should be changed just so I can visit my family.

No I'm not. If I was me feiner I'd pack my family on the plane, visit my parents and enjoy myself where the things were a lot more open during the summer.

I can feel sorry for people who might affected but I don't think that's the reason to change policy. As I don't think travel advice should be changed just so I can visit my family.

Why didn't you when you could have during the summer? Crocodile tears after the fact.

You have a total lack of empathy. It pores out of most of the posts you make on here. Very harsh attitude at times.

• Advertisement

I dont think you lack empathy I think you have approached it in a very Dutch manner =stoic. I can imagine how tough it is to be here and not there, not able to put eyes on family even if from a distance especially at this time of year, sometimes a phonecall or Zoom isnt enough. Hopefully next year will be better for us all.

khalessi wrote: »
    I dont think you lack empathy I think you have approached it in a very Dutch manner =stoic. I can imagine how tough it is to be here and not there, abe to put eyes on family even if from a distance especially at this time of year, sometimes a phonecall or Zoom isnt enough. Hopefully next year will be better for us all.
    Thanks. I'm not Dutch BTW and probably not very stoic. I'm fine but I do feel sorry for my parents who miss kids dearly and because dad was diagnosed with cancer last year. It's not overly aggressive but it is there. I just think shít happens sometimes but we can't live our lives with constant just in case approach..

That comment I made was not about the Mayo school because I don't know enough to comment in one way or the other.

Why didn't you when you could have during the summer? Crocodile tears after the fact.

You have a total lack of empathy. It pores out of most of the posts you make on here. Very harsh attitude at times.

Because it was more important that we don't catch something in transit. I wanted kids to be able to go to school, MIL is almost eighty and she spends a lot of time with us so I don't want unnecessarily endanger her. Maybe it was a wrong call but it was the most sensible call to make. There are no crocodile tears. (You added that just to be super nasty. You empathy obviously isn't there for those who you don't like.).I just pointed out that sometimes we need to make choices we don't necessarily like.

Thanks. I'm not Dutch BTW and probablynot very stoic. I'm fine but I do feel sorry for my parents who miss kids dearly and because dad was diagnosed with cancer last year. It's not overly aggressive but it is there. I just think shít happens sometimes but we can't live our lives with constant just in case approach..

That comment I made was not about the Mayo school because I don't know enough to comment in one way or the other.

Apologies I thught you said before you were Dutch, anyhow stoic. I understand how hard it is especially with a parent with cancer, as of last week I now have both parents with cancer, scary times for everyone.

Life has to go even in funny ways like at the moment true but I do think as you said it is one case and we were told schools would be treated on a case by case basis, which they are not obviously and that enchanced assistance would be given which is has not been.

There is an approach by government to keep schools open at all costs which is wrong that is not case by case. Our job is in loco parentis so we educate and protect. Sadly this time they are not being let protect.

Because it was more important that we don't catch something in transit. I wanted kids to be able to go to school, MIL is almost eighty and she spends a lot of time with us so I don't want unnecessarily endanger her. Maybe it was a wrong call but it was the most sensible calk to make. There are no crocodile tears. (You added that just to ve super nasty. You empathy obviouslyisn'tthere for thosewho you don'tlike.).I just pointed out that sometimes we need to make choices we don't necessarily like.

My point is that we all had chance to do things over the summer months. You chose not to for your own reasons(very understandable).

Your lack of empathy though towards the current plight of the school in Mayo is horrendous in its harshness.

How can I dislike someone who I don't know from Adam? I commented on your lack of empathy. I've said the same to friends of mine as recently as Friday in relation to their attitude towards the current situation.

If anyone looking in wants to know what we are dealing with read this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/department-of-education-spending-more-than-2-million-a-year-posting-payslips-1.4435642?mode=amp

That would buy a lot of PPE.
    Cant contact the vast majority of Dept personnel at any time of any day of the week. That is not just during the pandemic btw .

khalessi wrote: »
    Apologies I thught you said before you were Dutch, anyhow stoic. I understand how hard it is especially with a parent with cancer, as of last week I now have both parents with cancer, scary times for everyone.

Life has to go even in funny ways like at the moment true but I do think as you said it is one case and we were told schools would be treated on a case by case basis, which they are not obviously and that enchanced assistance would be given which is has not been.

There is an approach by government to keep schools open at all costs which is wrong that is not case by case. Our job is in loco parentis so we educate and protect. Sadly this time they are not being let protect.

And this is the nub is the issue with the Mayo thing. A one size fits all straightjacket. No allowance made for local circumstances. Public health not reassessing things even after it became clear they didn't have the correct information regarding the school (comment about juniors when it is a senior school). Very much a put up and shut attitude from on high.

I personally know the principal. A very proud and forthright man with the best interest of his students, staff and school community at heart. Horrible to see how this is very totally disregarded in the rush to keep every school open. Health and safety my ar$e.

Silence from our union and indeed the NPC is deafening. Speaks volumes for their priorities.

And this is the nub is the issue with the Mayo thing. A one size fits all straightjacket. No allowance made for local circumstances. Public health not reassessing things even after it became clear they didn't have the correct information regarding the school (comment about juniors when it is a senior school). Very much a put up and shut attitude from on high.

I personally know the principal. A very proud and forthright man with the best interest of his students, staff and school community at heart. Horrible to see how this is very totally disregarded in the rush to keep every school open. Health and safety my ar$e.

Silence from our union and indeed the NPC is deafening. Speaks volumes for their priorities.

Very annoyed that our Union has not publicly addressed this issue - very very poor form.

During midterm they were vocal about needing extra measures and schools might not reopen without them. Well here was the litmus test for those enhanced measures and nothing from the INTO, typical. This time the HSE and Dept were wrong, very wrong.

It is telling that the Public Health official did not even know that there were no junior classes, despite the fact all schools had to provide floorplans/ maps of each classroom and any changes have to be sent on.

I think the principal is playing a blinder and handling it all very well, must not be easy to be under a national spotlight. #ISUPPORTCLAREMORRIS

• Advertisement

Very annoyed that our Union has not publicly addressed this issue - very very poor form.

Hate to admit it but you'd have to wonder if they decided not to raise it as an issue due to the PSSA successor talks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement