Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

km79 wrote: »

Ok that is ridiculous. If Revenue can set a portal to deal with taxes one would think departments (all of them) could do one for wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ok that is ridiculous. If Revenue can set a portal to deal with taxes one would think departments (all of them) could do one for wages.

You can also only contact them on the phone during certain time periods which coincides with the school day. Email is the preferred way they want and generally from my experience takes up to a week for a reply.

If you manage to get someone's actual work email in the department you guard it with your life as it's like winning the lottery with the direct access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Hate to admit it but you'd have to wonder if they decided not to raise it as an issue due to the PPSA successor talks?

Who knows but their silence is deafening. There are so many questions raised by the Claremorris case -

what level of infection is considered acceptable in a school context ?

How does this compare to other work places ?

Why are public health citing lack of transmission in junior classes as a reason not to close the school when they are dealing with a senior school ?

Why is it not clear the framework that the PH implement in determining transmission within a school - so far there are cases across 2nd ,4th and 5th classes in a school that caters for children from 2nd to 6th. What criteria are PH basing their no transmission in this school on ?

Why are the DES cutting across the BOM on a clear H&S issue re lack of staff ?

What steps have the DES taken to ensure that there will be adequate staff cover to open the school on Monday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

429 cases today .....

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Who knows but their silence is deafening. There are so many questions raised by the Claremorris case -

what level of infection is considered acceptable in a school context ?

How does this compare to other work places ?

Why are public health citing lack of transmission in junior classes as a reason not to close the school when they are dealing with a senior school ?

Why is it not clear the framework that the PH implement in determining transmission within a school - so far there are cases across 2nd , 3rd , 4th and 5th classes in a school that caters for children from 2nd to 6th. What criteria are PH basing their no transmission in this school on ?

Why are the DES cutting across the BOM on a clear H&S issue re lack of staff ?

What steps have the DES taken to ensure that there will be adequate staff cover to open the school on Monday ?

As an aside. During the abuse scandals the DES used the line that the buck stops with the BOM and hid behind it.

The DES have opened a can of worms now with their undermining and overruling of the BOM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

429 cases today .....

Unfortunately that's the direction we are heading in for the next couple of months.
    (The main thread regulars don't like it but that's the way it is going to be).

The attitudes from above in the DES are not going to support schools anyway in this mess.
    Brace yourselves.

429 cases today .....

Holy ****. Wonder does that include some backlog? I'll admit I've deliberately lost interest in keeping a close watch on the numbers except for a cursory glance at daily numbers for cases, hospital numbers and deaths.

That is essentially an increase of 200 over the last running 7 day average.

Holy ****. Wonder does that include some backlog? I'll admit I've deliberately lost interest in keeping a close watch on the numbers except for a cursory glance at daily numbers for cases, hospital numbers and deaths.

Nope
    Tony issues a stark warning to reduce social contacts and said they 5 day moving average is now over 300
    What will we be facing into next January .....

Principal of claremorris has given another very detailed update
    Fair play to him for putting the numbers and figures out there for all to see
    4th class students are isolating until Xmas Eve :(

Our principal is under the impression that we can have the fully fledged ceremonies for communion and confirmation this year. That the vaccine will allow us to be back to normal by February midterm.

I'm all for being optimistic but....

• Advertisement

Principal of claremorris has given another very detailed update
    Fair play to him for putting the numbers and figures out there for all to see
    4th class students are isolating until Xmas Eve :(

No arguing with that timeline. Dates and numbers. Public health and Norma would do well to employ him for their communication efforts. Clear, concise and unambiguous data for all to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Our principal is under the impression that we can have the fully fledged ceremonies for communion and confirmation this year. That the vaccine will allow us to be back to normal by February midterm.

I'm all for being optimistic but....

That’s not happening! It’s not even optimistic. It’s crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30882-3/fulltext

Not sure if this was posted but interesting fact based article. Much more informative than some of the nonsense posted in this thread.

It’s 160 over the 7 day average, and brings the 7 day average back over 280, where it was 2 days ago. Last week had a backlog on a Saturday - about 456 cases, this weeks seems like it’s Sunday. Overall the 7 day average has been flat for about 2 weeks varying by about +/-10. Given we are 12 days out of level 5 we would expect this to start increasing soon however

It’s 160 over the 7 day average, and brings the 7 day average back over 280, where it was 2 days ago. Last week had a backlog on a Saturday - about 456 cases, this weeks seems like it’s Sunday. Overall the 7 day average has been flat for about 2 weeks varying by about +/-10. Given we are 12 days out of level 5 we would expect this to start increasing soon however

So what's you opinion on the Mayo school, should it be closed?

Hubertj wrote: »
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30882-3/fulltext

Not sure if this was posted but interesting fact based article. Much more informative than some of the nonsense posted in this thread.

What are the conclusions then?

What about limitations? Internal and external validity? Peer reviewed by whom? Hmmm?

Let me guess, you didn't (couldn't) read it?

Also, anytime someone uses that most overused of words "nonsense", it betrays a lot.

So what's you opinion on the Mayo school, should it be closed?

As I said all along, if the cases in the school community justify the closure of the school, the school should be closed. Am not aware of any of the details however, outside what has been on this thread. Assuming the principal is a Mayo man, one would have to trust what he is saying:)

Blondini wrote: »

What about limitations? Internal and external validity? Peer reviewed by whom? Hmmm?

Also, anytime someone uses that most overused of words "nonsense", it betrays a lot.

I’m not sure I understand the aggression and hostility. I simply posted the article to provide information which is base on fact. Apologies if that caused offence.

I’m not sure I understand the aggression and hostility. I simply posted the article to provide information which is base on fact. Apologies if that caused offence.

I'm not falling for that innocent act Hughie.
    Look at who just thanked your last post. Case closed.

Have a good one......

At that time a backlog was flagged two days in advance
    It was due to an IT issue
    There was no mention of anything about a backlog tonight by Tony or any media outlet

• Advertisement

I'm not falling for that innocent act Hughie.
    Look at who just thanked your last post. Case closed.

Have a good one......

Is there something wrong with posting an article from the lancet? Do you have a problem with the article or the lancet or it’s conclusions? I’m guessing you don’t agree with it? Does it not suit whatever your viewpoint is?

At that time a backlog was flagged two days in advance
    It was due to an IT issue
    There was no mention of anything about a backlog tonight by Tony or any media outlet

Last 7 days including today have had a small number of cases less than the previous 7. The trend has not reversed, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Are school staff still being told to turn off the covid app while in school?

A strong flurry of school cases today...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

''Interventions should focus on reducing transmission in and among staff.''
    There's your conclusion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Except for that part where you simply said: "Much more informative than some of the nonsense posted in this thread," right? :rolleyes:

*Says something offensive then acts shocked it caused offence*

Nonsense is as nonsense does...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Rodin, forum ban for ignoring threadban

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Except for that part where you simply said: "Much more informative than some of the nonsense posted in this thread," right? :rolleyes:

*Says something offensive then acts shocked it caused offence*

Nonsense is as nonsense does...

Apologies I should have said “in my opinion a lot of nonsense has been posted on this thread”. I posted he afticle for discussion but have been met with a lot of hostility and aggression, which is understandable. It has been a difficult year for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well the conclusions are in the article which you can easily read if you want to. (You didn't even try). While Lancet certainly isn't infallible it is one of the most respected medical journals. This study was already mentioned in August/September before it was published. I didn't see any particular criticism of it but I'm sure you will be happy to provide some. I hope it's a bit better than your method of assessing the quality of post by who thanks it. (Do we call that now Facebook science?)
    In conclusion, the re-opening of schools during the summer half-term was associated with very few cases or outbreaks in England, albeit with smaller classes in selected school years and proportionally greater attendance in early years settings and primary schools. Infections and outbreaks were more likely to involve staff members than students. The proportion of seeding events resulting in outbreaks in schools, and the strong correlation between COVID-19 outbreaks and regional incidence, both highlight the importance of controlling the disease in the community to protect educational settings.
    Source:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

You obviously aren't aware of the role they play so when it comes to schools.

Don't you just love when people who don't know feel the need to try and be smart with their comments.

I have said i'm not an expert in this area. This is obvious i'm not "to try and be smart" from that comment.

From your response i'm missing couple things:

1. Are principals trained for contact tracing?
    2. If principals interested in schools still open, is not there conflict of interests?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement