Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Claremorris P on newstalk in 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks. I absolutely hate that interviewing technique. Not letting the speaker speak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Thanks. I absolutely hate that interviewing technique. Not letting the speaker speak

Was it any good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Was it any good ?

No new information really as we knew about the additional cases over the weekend already but she kept speaking over him so it’s hard to say. He believes he has enough staff but wasn’t completely clear, I wonder if that is because they are expecting a large cohort of children not to be in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

meeeeh wrote: »
    Do we call that Facebook science?

Hmmm?

Never came across that particular discipline when studying for BSc, MSc x 2, HDip or MA.

Tell me more ? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

He did a great job. Ciara s approach was combative, trying to get him to criticize public health. His reply was "well isn't life a contradiction"

Presenters conclusion was principal s can't make that decision or chaos would ensue. The issue of 13% testimg positive in last month was glossed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Blondini wrote: »
    A strong flurry of school cases today...

Where can you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Hmmm?

Never came across that particular discipline when studying for BSc, MSc x 2, HDip or MA.

Well you seem to judge the validity of argument by likes not me. Congratulations for your educational achievements, I'm sure you use them somewhere just not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Hmmm?

Did you apply any of that outside of a school environment? i.e at a level higher than going over the material with 17 year olds. Do you have much of a publication record?

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Did you apply any of that outside of a school environment? i.e at a level higher than going over the material with 17 year olds. Do you have much of a publication record?

I actually wrote Genesis.
    Great book, a real page-turner.
    I'll send you a signed copy.

Anyway back on topic please...

• Advertisement

I actually wrote Genesis.
    Great book, a real page-turner.
    I'll send you a signed copy.

Anyway back on topic please...

So, when students leave university they think they know everything. Then some of them go and work on complicated problems and with people who know a lot more than they do. There is a humbling realisation at that point that you know very little and finishing university was really just the starting point. If you went to work in a school after university you wouldn't have gone through this as its a safe environment where you go through material at a very superficial level with children.
    The tone of your posts indicates you haven't had that experience.

So, when students leave university they think they know everything. Then some of them go and work on complicated problems and with people who know a lot more than they do. There is a humbling realisation at that point that you know very little and finishing university was really just the starting point. If you went to work in a school after university you wouldn't have gone through this as its a safe environment where you go through material at a very superficial level with children.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,105 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You don't think there is extremely complicated "problems" in schools and you don't think there is vastly qualified and experienced people working in them?

Really?

Your knowledge of schools would be remedial at best. TBH.

Boggles wrote: »
    You don't think there is extremely complicated "problems" in schools and you don't think there is vastly qualified and experienced people working in them?

Really?

I think the skill in teaching is delivering the material in a way that is understandable to school kids. Some are better at this than others and it would not necessarily correlate with the teachers who had the best grades in uni.

I think the skill in teaching is delivering the material in a way that is understandable to school kids. Some are better at this than others and it would not necessarily correlate with the teachers who had the best grades in uni.

I didn't ask you what you think.

I asked you 2 specific questions based on 2 pretty ignorant statements you made.

Any chance you could answer them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

He did a great job. Ciara s approach was combative, trying to get him to criticize public health. His reply was "well isn't life a contradiction"

Sorry but, what kind of bullsh*t is that to be coming out with :D:D:D

He's coming out with some philosophical psychobabble, sounds like this principal needs to brought down a peg or two.

He's coming out with some philosophical psychobabble, sounds like this principal needs to brought down a peg or two.

Have a colleague with kids around primary school age in Claremorris. Not sure if they are in this school. Will ask if I am speaking to them today whats the story locally

Really?

Really complicated problems in school would not be science related problems which is what I was specifically referencing above. i.e. Blondini's comment on her MSc. I am really just pointing out that even having an MSc does not really indicate much more than an ability to pass the exams in university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

To the teachers on this thread - an I mean teachers actually teaching in Ireland - can I ask you a couple of questions?

Now that we're getting close to the Christmas holidays, how has your experience been?

- Has there been an outbreak in your school and how did you feel about the way it was handled?
    - Do you know any colleagues in other schools who got in infected? How did they cope? How did the DOE treat them? Was it back to work as soon as they were symptom free?
    - How do you feel about going back to school after the Christmas break as opposed to how you felt in September? More nervous or less nervous?
    - If you were of the opinion that schools should have only opened on a part time basis, with a part time home-school online portion, do you still feel that this should be rolled out? What I mean by this is, all indications are that vulnerable people will be vaccinated by March/April next year - so the need for children to reduce their hours in a school environment may be moot at that stage.

Really complicated problems in school would not be science related problems which is what I was specifically referencing above. i.e. Blondini's comment on her MSc. I am really just pointing out that even having an MSc does not really indicate much more than an ability to pass the exams in university.

https://www.nuigalway.ie/colleges-and-schools/arts-social-sciences-and-celtic-studies/psychology/postgraduate-programmes/masters/applied-behaviour-analysis/

Like I said remedial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Claremorris P on newstalk in 10 minutes

Is the presenter always that ignorant ?
    It was more a one sided interrogation rather than a radio interview

As completely separate issue how is a single sex school with so few kids is allowed to be open? It's a complete waste of resources and not surprising they have issues with finding teachers. Last week's toxic masculinity nonsense comments did shock me when I realised how many primary schools are single sex. I can understand some private schools offering single sex schools but it's a complete waste of resources to have a local school that is too small to be run efficiently and ignore 50% of population. I presume there is another local girl's school about the same size. Put them together and you will have a decent size primary school with resource teachers that can help plug the gaps if someone is out sick.

As completely separate issue how is a single sex school with so few kids is allowed to be open? It's a complete waste of resources and not surprising they have issues with finding teachers. Last week's toxic masculinity nonsense comments did shock me when I realised how many primary schools are single sex. I can understand some private schools offering single sex schools but it's a complete waste of resources to have a local school that is too small to be run efficiently and ignore 50% of population. I presume there is another local girl's school about the same size. Put them together and you will have a decent size primary school with resource teachers that can help plug the gaps if someone is out sick.

Claremorris has traditionally had a Boys and Girls primary school. The Primary associated with the convent traditionally. Junior classes attend the convent. Overall about 400 across both schools

So you are saying if the school was double the population the outbreak would have been much better?

:confused:

So you are saying if the school was double the population the outbreak would have been much better?

:confused:

I'm saying that resources can be pulled. The size of outbreak depends on many factors and I wouldn't any conclusions one way or the other. In comparison I went to primary school with well over thousand pupils. We had on site full time psychologist, social worker and dentist (typical state school). I'm not saying big schools are better but to have 160 single gender young kids in a school just doesn't make any sense to me (except outdated ideas how genders have to be seperated).

Claremorris has traditionally had a Boys and Girls primary school. The Primary associated with the convent traditionally. Junior classes attend the convent. Overall about 400 across both schools

Which would give you a decent size school with one BOM, more resource teachers and in my opinion healthier gender dynamic.

I'm saying that resources can be pulled. The size of outbreak depends on many factors and I wouldn't any conclusions one way or the other. In comparison I went to primary school with well over thousand pupils. We had on site full time psychologist, social worker and dentist (typical state school). I'm not saying big schools are better but to have 160 single gender young kids in a school just doesn't make any sense to me (except outdated ideas how genders have to be seperated).

That's great, but not relevant to the point you trying to wedge in.

The reason they struggled to get a sub in, is because no sub wanted to take the risk.

The size of the school doesn't change that fact and if anything if it were larger would in reality only make the situation worse.

That's great, but not relevant to the point you trying to wedge in.

The reason they struggled to get a sub in, is because no sub wanted to take the risk.

The size of the school doesn't change that fact and if anything if it were larger would in reality only make the situation worse.
    I went off topic because I find it fascinating (and irrational) policy. It coincided with domestic violence comments because I actually didn't realise there are so many single sex primary schools in Ireland.

Considering you find it irrelevant you could just as well ignore my question. Unlike the other poster you provided a bit of bickering and nothing of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

It made sense in response to her question as she was asking if it was a contradiction for him to say he supported public health while felt he needed to close the school.

EDIT. although i don't know why i'm bothering to explain. Really unpleasant to say that bout principal who seems like a genuine man who is under huge pressure trying to protect health of his school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hubertj wrote: »
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30882-3/fulltext

Not sure if this was posted but interesting fact based article. Much more informative than some of the nonsense posted in this thread.

Thank you for this. Great to see some hard information to counteract the Facebook-type scaremongering.

"There are very few reports of widespread SARS-CoV-2 infection in early years settings and primary schools, especially when compared with other institutions such as hospitals, care homes, and prisons, and other workplace settings."

You can see from findings like that why the priority for vaccination is the way it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement