Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Blondini wrote: »
    Bizarre and ignorant statement.

Examples please? Now remember that you used the word "endless", so I expect this list of examples of whinging to be endless, or at the very least extremely extensive.

Hmmm?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Not endless per se, but a few threads long :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Lillyfae wrote: »

In these threads, it is discussion, concern, and trying to inform the ill-informed, yes.

Whinging, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Blondini wrote: »
    Bizarre and ignorant statement.

Examples please? Now remember that you used the word "endless", so I expect this list of examples of whinging to be endless, or at the very least extremely extensive.

Hmmm?

Yeah, didn't think so.

March: its so difficult teaching remotely.
    July/August: McHughs plan for reopening schools will never work, we are completely different to any other country in the world.
    September: Schools will be closed in weeks
    October: we need to extend the midterm by a week
    December: teacher fatigue

March-December: general public fatigue with teachers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

what will it ever take for NPHET to admit they were wrong about schools

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dub81 wrote: »
    what will it ever take for NPHET to admit they were wrong about schools

Evidence that they were wrong, I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

awec wrote: »
    Evidence that they were wrong, I'd guess.

well theres been numerous outbreaks in schools and they havent said anything about it, i dont think they like to admit they get it wrong, instead try and deflect the blame elsewhere.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

well theres been numerous outbreaks in schools and they havent said anything about it, i dont think they like to admit they get it wrong, instead try and deflect the blame elsewhere.

There has been come clusters of cases in schools yes, it was bound to happen by the law of averages, I don't think this is evidence that it was wrong to keep schools open.

We've managed to control the virus and keep schools open, hospitals are not overwhelmed with cases.

Everyone wins. Kids get their education, parents are able to work so they can maintain an income to pay the bills, and teachers get to do what they tell us they love doing more than anything else, going to work and teaching kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

So now you're agreeing with the other poster that it was the teachers whinging when before you said no, it was ASTI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Do you have any source that quotes them as saying there won't be any outbreaks in schools? Their objective is to try and keep the number of cases at a manageable number. They are managing that so far. The idea of having zero covid cases was given up quite a while ago. Hopefully the vaccine will be out by the end of the year, we will probably have another lockdown if cases spike as expected over xmas. So, I suppose in a matter of months we could be out the other side. At that point do you think that thought we would have to close schools in weeks will admit they were wrong? Or will they just move onto some sort of conspiracy theory about a cover up?

awec wrote: »
    There has been come clusters of cases in schools yes, it was bound to happen by the law of averages, I don't think this is evidence that it was wrong to keep schools open.

We've managed to control the virus and keep schools open, hospitals are not overwhelmed with cases.

Everyone wins. Kids get their education, parents are able to work so they can maintain an income to pay the bills, and teachers get to do what they tell us they love doing more than anything else, going to work and teaching kids.

Its been a great success story managing to keep schools open, in no small part down to principals, teachers, students and parents etc.

• Advertisement

Stateofyou wrote: »
    So now you're agreeing with the other poster that it was the teachers whinging when before you said no, it was ASTI?

There were three sentences in that post. If you read all of them I won't need to repeat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JDD wrote: »
    On balance though, would there be less outbreaks if they closed both the primary schools (where you have more control over where the kids go outside of school) and secondary schools across the country tomorrow? Probably. Yes there would probably be more outbreaks among urban secondary children but that would probably be outweighed by the reduced outbreaks in primary schools and rural areas.
    We don't know this though.

There's every likelihood that closing primary schools could make it ten times worse as parents have to engage baby sitters (read: neighbours, grandparents and siblings) to mind their kids while they're out at work. Babysitters who might otherwise have not seen these kids over Xmas.

Many parents can't just take early Xmas holidays because the school decided to.

It's a big unknown, certainly not enough to say with any confidence that it would be worth doing.

There were three sentences in that post. If you read all of them I won't need to repeat myself.

Yes I read all of them, obviously. I didn't misread anything from what I can see. Instead of being snarky you could actually answer my question or clarify what you meant.

Yes I read all of them, obviously. I didn't misread anything from what I can see. Instead of being snarky you could actually answer my question or clarify what you meant.

Ok, here it is again. The secretary of the ASTI says in November the teachers should get another couple of holidays in December because they're tired. People laughed and said: don't be ridiculous, everyone is knackered after 2020. The teachers here said #notmysecretary, but at the same time anyone who says that the teachers getting 2 extra days off would be too disruptive for families (even suggesting parents take unpaid leave to facilitate it :eek:), and not much use in the face of the virus, is a teacher hater, teacher basher, bitter that they're not a teacher or because they had a mean teacher at school- I'm not too sure about which kind of bitter it's supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Ok, here it is again. The secretary of the ASTI says in November the teachers should get another couple of holidays in December because they're tired. People laughed and said: don't be ridiculous, everyone is knackered after 2020. The teachers here said #notmysecretary, but at the same time anyone who says that the teachers getting 2 extra days off would be too disruptive for families (even suggesting parents take unpaid leave to facilitate it :eek:), and not much use in the face of the virus, is a teacher hater, teacher basher, bitter that they're not a teacher or because they had a mean teacher at school- I'm not too sure about which kind of bitter it's supposed to be.

TUI
    He was also quoted out of context but sure why does that matter and he was speaking of the children being tired having to wear masks all day. He also said it would leave people time before visiting vunerable relatives but everyone hopped on just part of his statement.

"This has been an unprecedented first term - teachers are fatigued, tired - and so are students.

"They're in school every day wearing masks, which heightens the fatigue and the intensity.

"But the second and most important reason I think people are looking for is they're telling us that Christmas is a family time, they want to meet their grandparents.

"The idea being that if they finish on the Friday, they gain not just the Monday and the Tuesday but the Saturday and Sunday in terms of self-isolating."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/tui-admits-plan-for-early-christmas-holidays-divisive-1107729
    Aodhan O Riordain also suggested it

One, you didn't say this before so you're not repeating anything.

Secondly, that little rant of yours is entirely your own bitter, catastrophising twisting of words and wasn't said by anyone here or even by ASTI, very disingenuous.

Which has nothing to do with what I pointed out in the contradiction of your words but I can see you want to sidestep that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

It was the General Secretary of the TUI who came out with that crap. As for the rest of the rubbish you posted....

One, you didn't say this before so you're not repeating anything.

Secondly, that little rant of yours is entirely your own bitter, catastrophising twisting of words and wasn't said by anyone here or even by ASTI, very disingenuous.

Which has nothing to do with what I pointed out in the contradiction of your words but I can see you want to sidestep that.

I made a mistake and have edited my original post. It was the TUI sec that suggested it. The ASTI elaborated with the "longer period of isolation" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I just popped in to read some interesting posts, but oh my.
    How many pages is it now that Lillyfae has been going on now?
    Let me know when shes finished and its safe to start reading interesting posts again.

I made a mistake and have edited my original post. It was the TUI sec that suggested it. The ASTI elaborated with the "longer period of isolation" argument.

I have to say I don't think it was a bad idea but it should have been proposed as either option a) schools go to online learning on Monday 21st and Tues 22nd OR b) schools close for Christmas on 18th and return two days earlier in January. Even if that happened though I suspect it would have been dismissed out of hand.

• Advertisement

As for the rest of the rubbish you posted....

What's rubbish about it? All of the above has been posted by teachers on this thread.

What's rubbish about it? All of the above has been posted by teachers on this thread.

I don't agree with your account.

I have to say I don't think it was a bad idea but it should have been proposed as either option a) schools go to online learning on Monday 21st and Tues 22nd OR b) schools close for Christmas on 18th and return two days earlier in January. Even if that happened though I suspect it would have been dismissed out of hand.

I agree it would have made way more sense to close on a Friday and open on a Monday, but that should have been a choice given to parents- it was way too late to be changing the calendar at that point.

The option of going back 2 days earlier was never put forward by the TUI secretary though. He made it about the extra days off.

I don't agree with your account.

Do you agree with a thread search?

I agree it would have made way more sense to close on a Friday and open on a Monday, but that should have been a choice given to parents- it was way too late to be changing the calendar at that point.

The option of going back 2 days earlier was never put forward by the TUI secretary though. He made it about the extra days off.

I never suggested he did. I made my feelings on him very clear. And I disagree parents should have the choice, it should have been proposed to the Dept and have them make a uniform decision across the country, perhaps in consultation with NPHET.

You honestly can't be taken seriously. In references to certain people pointing out there was teacher bashing, was in the context of the direct calling out of people who were doing just that-teacher bashing. It wasn't said in the context and agenda you're trying to push- that people were accused of teacher bashing or of being bitter merely because of a difference of opinion. There have been cards and banning by mods to back that up.
    You can't just make things up to try have a point where you don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yes some are teacher haters, you usually see them when someone makes a post along the lines of "huh teachers just wanting extra days off eff them" they are thanked by certain posters for that post then said persons who thanked them spend days on the thread trying to claim they dont hate teachers or begrudge them the days off;)

Do you agree with a thread search?

Fire away. Just to be clear, to prove your point, every single post that suggests closing schools early is a bad idea has to be responded to with allegations of teacher bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »

In one week... :eek: that's shocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement