Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Inquitus wrote: »
    Daughters whole class sent home til after the xmas holidays, been contacted by the HSE, awaiting a test date for her. Shutting down an entire class is not usually in the HSE playbook, wonder what happened, maybe the teacher tested positive?

We had the exact same situation with a primary school child (1st class). One of the kids had tested positive, parents were health workers. There was a suggestion that maybe they do this with younger kids, but I am not sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

Inquitus wrote: »
    Daughters whole class sent home til after the xmas holidays, been contacted by the HSE, awaiting a test date for her. Shutting down an entire class is not usually in the HSE playbook, wonder what happened, maybe the teacher tested positive?

why is this, they will have no problem shutting down a construction site or indeed anywhere (except hospitals quite obviously) if there's an outbreak, is it because NPHET are on record as saying that schools are safe environments and not a cause for concern and they cant bear to face up to the facts that they got it wrong here, if they were more transparent with the public and provided much more data than they currently do, then they might not be rapidly losing any little trust the public have left in them.

Good afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

Dub81 wrote: »
    so are you trying to imply there is now a ranking of what are deemed to be essential serices like for example schools are number 1 and so on, if so then id love to see it because i cant say ive ever seen or heard of this before.

An essential service is an essential service, end of story.
    Yes there effectively is. The vaccine rollout schedule. Education staff are 11th on the list. We aren't deemed key workers.

Dub81 wrote: »
    I have no idea what your talking about, but if you cant answer my valid questions then we'll just leave it at that.

on the list you linked to, Hospital services are also mentioned. You are suggesting that everything on the list is essential and should be treated the same. So, I gave you an example of hospitals not being closed in the case of an outbreak. If your view that essential is essential with no difference, then surely they should be treated the same as construction sites? Or do you think that maybe there is some sort of hierarchy in terms of importance?

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes there effectively is. The vaccine rollout schedule. Education staff are 11th on the list. We aren't deemed key workers.

The vaccine schedule is not really about how important you are deemed, it's based on how much risk you are exposed to.

Teachers are down the list because the data shows they are not at significant risk. Obviously if an individual teacher also falls into a more high risk category they will be be done sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

awec wrote: »
    If they were about public health the messaging would have been about front loading the days off before Christmas.

It was all about extra days off. The poor teachers are tired. They are the only people in Ireland who've been working since March.

I think they worded it badly. But the spin on saying that they're the only people in Ireland who've been working since March, and attributing your statement as if it was their own, is wrong. However teachers-especially primary- are the only sector who work in over-crowded (re: no social distancing) and often under-ventilated classrooms with pupils, some of whom science says are at an age to contract and spread the virus at least as well as adults do, without masks for hours every day 5 days a week.
    I am not a teacher, but if I were my nerves would be absolutely SHOT. My own childrens teachers won't even hear of my sympathy on the few occasions I've offered it. They both always say they're delighted to be back in school and it's the children who are shattered having to cope with the new regulations and the stress of the pandemic in their every day lives.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Ireland's teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Anyone who would like to see can do the search. I'm not going to search only for people to disagree with the search. There are three other threads by the way, the earlier 2 iterations of this one, and the ASTI one in CA.

If children have an at risk family member that they are planning to visit over Christmas then this should not be happening. If teachers have at risk family members that they are planning to visit over Christmas then this should not be happening. The whole of 2020 has been horrible for everyone, and unfortunately Christmas will have to be different this year.

So to clarify you aren't going to post proof of your claim because people will disagree with you?

it is more to do with vaccinating those most at risk first. SBP had a graphic showing the numbers in each category. There are about 1.2m ahead of education workers.

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    it is more to do with vaccinating those most at risk first. SBP had a graphic showing the numbers in each category. There are about 1.2m ahead of education workers.

What I wonder is how they can lump education workers altogether, when some work with older students, some teachers are older, and some would have underlying conditions. Surely that deserves a more nuanced approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Stateofyou wrote: »
    What I wonder is how they can lump education workers altogether, when some work with older students, some teachers are older, and some would have underlying conditions. Surely that deserves a more nuanced approach?

That's why they have the category for "High Risk 18 - 64 year olds"

• Advertisement

Some teachers may fall into the higher categories? I have no idea if there is a finer granularity, for example the health care worker intubating a covid patient would be at much higher risk than someone working on a normal ward.

That's why they have the category for "High Risk 18 - 64 year olds"

Ah look, we agree on something! As long as it's taken into account...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

awec wrote: »
    If they were about public health the messaging would have been about front loading the days off before Christmas.

It was all about extra days off. The poor teachers are tired. They are the only people in Ireland who've been working since March.

The "teacher fatigue" statement was from one union rep, it was not representative of the views of teachers and was largely ridiculed by teachers.

There have been no serious calls to close schools due to teacher fatigue. But don't let facts get in the way of pre-conceived notions.

joe40 wrote: »
    The "teacher fatigue" statement was from one union rep, it was not representative of the views of teachers and was largely ridiculed by teachers.

There have been no serious calls to close schools due to teacher fatigue. But don't let facts get in the way of pre-conceived notions.

Well it wasn't a random teacher making the comment it was the general secretary of the TUI representing 19k teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Ah look, we agree on something! As long as it's taken into account...

They took it into account. What's to disagree on about reading a factsheet? I wonder will they put the teachers at the top of that list though?

Well it wasn't a random teacher making the comment it was the general secretary of the TUI representing 19k teachers.

It was still a solo run, he had not consulted members about that statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

on the list you linked to, Hospital services are also mentioned. You are suggesting that everything on the list is essential and should be treated the same. So, I gave you an example of hospitals not being closed in the case of an outbreak. If your view that essential is essential with no difference, then surely they should be treated the same as construction sites? Or do you think that maybe there is some sort of hierarchy in terms of importance?

Admit defeat mate ive already proved you wrong, quite clearly you cannot ever close an actual hospital of all places:rolleyes:,i asked you a valid question and you havent answered me yet, what is the difference between an outbreak in a construction site and school, why are they so quick to close construction sites but not even mention an outbreak in schools?

Look if you dont have an answer just say it and stop being pendantic about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Do you agree with a thread search?

I'll agree to a thread search.

Like the time you suggested that students should have classes in the rain, and that teachers shouldn't be afraid to "melt". When you were called on that you tried to say you were suggesting only a walk, which was demonstrably a lie as you hadn't mentioned it once. When asked what purpose a walk would serve in education and all the logistical issues which would arise, you just shut down.

Then very recently you said that you had unique insight into department circulars which would allow schools to pick and choose days to close and to catch up. When you were informed that this was an ignorant assumption, you argued incessantly that principals were either too stupid to understand, or too spineless to act. You were proven wrong by the DES ordering the school in question to open, and again you tried to shift goalposts to something about predicting a calendar.

You also made a heinous accusation against the asti only to be corrected so you "edited" your post.

You are consistently and demonstrably wrong on several occasions, making a show of yourself with your incorrect opinions on basic educational matters. Your petty liking of posts that are outright teacher bashing is also an insight into your troubled mind. You really should focus far more on listening and learning rather than spouting I'll informed ****e that I wouldn't expect off the most ignorant philistine.

Stop trying to derail a thread by asking for evidence when every time we do it shows everyone an obvious truth, you don't know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The teacher unions have struck the wrong note from the start of the pandemic.

Rather than a whatever it takes mentality, they have complained and whinged and looked for goodies for their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

As was pointed out a hired position not an elected one. It also was and conitinues to be taken out of context as it suits certain people to only concentrate on those few words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As it currently stands 8 of my class won't be in next week. Fully expect this number will increase over the next two days and also over the weekend when parents will make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You're still ahead of the vast majority of people- probably April onward for vaccination.

They took it into account. What's to disagree on about reading a factsheet? I wonder will they put the teachers at the top of that list though?

So you can say for sure that teachers can fall into the earlier categories as needed? Could you point me to that info or directive that's been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭vid36

As it currently stands 8 of my class won't be in next week. Fully expect this number will increase over the next two days and also over the weekend when parents will make the decision.

There will be a big drop off between Monday and Tuesday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

vid36 wrote: »
    There will be a big drop off between Monday and Tuesday too.

Anything "fun" is happening on Friday so that children won't miss it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

blanch152 wrote: »

Rather than a whatever it takes mentality, they have complained and whinged and looked for goodies for their members.

Silly post.

Proof please of all the "goodies"?

Didn't think so.

Must try harder.

blanch152 wrote: »

The vast majority of schools have stayed open with relatively small numbers despite 1000s of people in the same building.

The teaching staff and wider school community deserve massive credit for this. Obviously for some though teacher bashing is the only option.

Your post just sums up this attitude. No other group of workers were asked to do what teachers are doing. Close contact for prolonged period of time, in the same room with 20 to 30 other individuals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I'll agree to a thread search.

Like the time you suggested that students should have classes in the rain, and that teachers shouldn't be afraid to "melt". When you were called on that you tried to say you were suggesting only a walk, which was demonstrably a lie as you hadn't mentioned it once. When asked what purpose a walk would serve in education and all the logistical issues which would arise, you just shut down.

Then very recently you said that you had unique insight into department circulars which would allow schools to pick and choose days to close and to catch up. When you were informed that this was an ignorant assumption, you argued incessantly that principals were either too stupid to understand, or too spineless to act. You were proven wrong by the DES ordering the school in question to open, and again you tried to shift goalposts to something about predicting a calendar.

You also made a heinous accusation against the asti only to be corrected so you "edited" your post.

You are consistently and demonstrably wrong on several occasions, making a show of yourself with your incorrect opinions on basic educational matters. Your petty liking of posts that are outright teacher bashing is also an insight into your troubled mind. You really should focus far more on listening and learning rather than spouting I'll informed ****e that I wouldn't expect off the most ignorant philistine.

Stop trying to derail a thread by asking for evidence when every time we do it shows everyone an obvious truth, you don't know what you are talking about.

Mod:

This is the second time you've gone over the line with attacks against another user in a short time frame.

Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anything "fun" is happening on Friday so that children won't miss it next week.
    I think this will be a general theme across the country.

The kids will be just watching Xmas movies and doing art come Monday & Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The OTT banning of good and informed posters with valid opinions on this thread is ridiculous. There's some power trip by the mods going on here.

Mod:

Threadbanned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement