Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

joe40 wrote: »

Your post just sums up this attitude. No other group of workers were asked to do what teachers are doing. Close contact for prolonged period of time, in the same room with 20 to 30 other individuals.

There are other jobs where more has been asked of them than teachers and other jobs where infection rates are higher.

As it currently stands 8 of my class won't be in next week. Fully expect this number will increase over the next two days and also over the weekend when parents will make the decision.

This is probably the best scenario for everyone. Schools stay open as planned next week. Parents who are able to keep their children at home on those days do (which will probably be most). And there's less contacts. But those who can't do this, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

There are other jobs where more has been asked of them than teachers and other jobs where infection rates are higher.

Yes there are. The ones I can think of get supplied with PPE or other mitagators though.

Yes there are. The ones I can think of get supplied with PPE or other mitagators though.

And infection rates are still higher.

And infection rates are still higher.

I don't have stats of infection rates so not sure where infection rates are higher than schools at the moment, would you mind linking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

seamus wrote: »
    I think this will be a general theme across the country.

The kids will be just watching Xmas movies and doing art come Monday & Tuesday.

I know plenty of classes having their fun/party days on Monday. Silly if you ask me. Causing issues for parents who want to keep children at home and child wants in for the fun stuff. Little bit of common goes a long way.

I don't have stats of infection rates so not sure where infection rates are higher than schools at the moment, would you mind linking?

Health workers and food production workers have had far higher levels of Covid than teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Health workers and food production workers have had far higher levels of Covid than teachers.

Whatever about food production workers I would expect it as a given that Health care workers would have higher levels of infection in the midst of a global pandemic no ?

ETA schools wouldn’t have been able to reopen and stay open with out the hard work and dedication of all school staff - but for whatever reason that seems a bitter pill for some to swallow. Comparing teaching / school staff to health care is ridiculous it’s like comparing apples and oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Link?

I know food production workers were a big issue in the past but now that ppe and testing has been provided i thought the infection rate had dropped dramatically? I could stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Anything "fun" is happening on Friday so that children won't miss it next week.

That's a clever idea, will take some of the guilt away from parents whose children might miss out on party fun otherwise.

My school finishes up on the 18th. Kids are struggling along as it is, I don't know how they'd cope with another two days of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

awec wrote: »

It was all about extra days off. The poor teachers are tired. They are the only people in Ireland who've been working since March.

You probably should reflect on the maturity level displayed in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

If you cast your mind back to March, we had seen the outbreak in China where they were all wearing Hazmat suits. We saw on the news that Lombardy was being overrun. They were desperately in need of ventilators and they were in short supply everywhere. The disease was new and nobody knew what the death rate would be. There was a severe lack of PPE globally. Remember all of that?
    Well at that time a quarter of all cases were health care workers
    11th April : https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13581

They were the ones that we asked a lot of. Most other areas were faced with the difficulties in trying to figure out how to use teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

awec wrote: »
    There was an argument to be made for moving the Christmas holidays to allow more time off before Christmas to allow for longer isolation before meeting families, with less time off afterwards.

Unfortunately they made it about getting extra time off work, and the public mood is one of utter weariness at the endless whinging of teachers.

they could argue for more enforced work from home for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    If you cast your mind back to March, we had seen the outbreak in China where they were all wearing Hazmat suits. We saw on the news that Lombardy was being overrun. They were desperately in need of ventilators and they were in short supply everywhere. The disease was new and nobody knew what the death rate would be. There was a severe lack of PPE globally. Remember all of that?
    Well at that time a quarter of all cases were health care workers
    11th April : https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13581

They were the ones that we asked a lot of. Most other areas were faced with the difficulties in trying to figure out how to use teams.

Answer irrelevant we are talking about now and the question you answered was looking for a link to infection rates at the moment which you ignored.

they could argue for more enforced work from home for everyone

more work from home for everyone is more likely than your original post of more time off for everyone. I still don't think they are really in a position to do that though.

khalessi wrote: »
    Answer irrelevant we are talking about now and the question you answered was looking for a link to infection rates at the moment which you ignored.

it was following on from the initial conversation about how nobody was asked to do as much as teachers. It isn't even close.

The HCW rate over week 32-49: https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_05%2012%202020_website.pdf

is 7.9%

it was following on from the initial conversation about how nobody was asked to do as much as teachers. It isn't even close.

The HCW rate over week 32-49: https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_05%2012%202020_website.pdf

is 7.9%

THere was also a commnet about how hospitals cannot be closed.

My issue is how badly schools have been handled. THe DES/HSe made a song and dance about opening them and about the assistance to be offered when if there were cases and how each school would be looked at on a case by case situation.

None of which has occured which naturally would make people feel uncomfortable and distrusting of the DES and HSE school in Claremorris a typical example.

this is up to week 48, https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_28%2011%202020_v1.0%20website%20version%204%2012%202020.pdf

total number = 3480

up to week 49 : https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_05%2012%202020_website.pdf

total number = 3783

both are counted from week 32, so there must have been 303 health care worker cases in week 49, the latest we have stats for.

I know it sticks in the craw of some on here (some more than others) when health care workers are brought up for comparison.

this is up to week 48, https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_28%2011%202020_v1.0%20website%20version%204%2012%202020.pdf

total number = 3480

up to week 49 : https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_05%2012%202020_website.pdf

total number = 3783

both are counted from week 32, so there must have been 303 health care worker cases in week 49, the latest we have stats for.

I know it sticks in the craw of some on here (some more than others) when health care workers are brought up for comparison.

DOesnt bother me at all I was a HCW and annoyingly for some have worked during epidemics, and if we are using comparisons of hospitals I am one of the few people who can judge the difference having been on the ground for both.

So shall I again mention the differences or will anti teacher brigade lose their **** and call me names.

• Advertisement

THere was also a commnet about how hospitals cannot be closed.

My issue is how badly schools have been handled. THe DES/HSe made a song and dance about opening them and about the assistance to be offered when if there were cases and how each school would be looked at on a case by case situation.

None of which has occured which naturally would make people feel uncomfortable and distrusting of the DES and HSE school in Claremorris a typical example.

I don't agree that schools have been badly handled. I think it is one of the success stories. I know you will find cases where it is not handled well, there are thousands of schools and over a million students. But overall it is being handled well. I would also point out that you can have a look at the predictions being made in the summer. The HSE and NPHET were right and the amateur experts on here were wrong.

I don't agree that schools have been badly handled. I think it is one of the success stories. I know you will find cases where it is not handled well, there are thousands of schools and over a million students. But overall it is being handled well. I would also point out that you can have a look at the predictions being made in the summer. The HSE and NPHET were right and the amateur experts on here were wrong.

No I know you dont but you havent been in them. WHat was predicted here and by me was that schools would be opened and stay open down to the teachers and school staff working to keep them open.

THe HSE and NPHET have been appalling in regards to schools. THe schools being open is not down to them.

DOesnt bother me at all I was a HCW and annoyingly for some have worked during epidemics, and if we are using comparisons of hospitals I am one of the few people who can judge the difference having been on the ground for both.

So shall I again mention the differences or will anti teacher brigade lose their **** and call me names.

Well I think we can agree that this one is a bit different is it not? I mean unless of course you were working during the spanish flu. You were not working during this pandemic in the health care system and you don't know what it would have been like.
    One of the differences you mentioned was PPE. From the same link provided earlier https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13581

April 11
    "The INMO has called for action and clarity on the figures, including:

- A universal face mask policy for all workers in healthcare settings,
    - More frequent and detailed publication of statistics on healthcare worker infection, including the source of transmission,
    - Updated guidance on PPE and for occupational health, ensuring that healthcare staff are given appropriate and safe time for self-isolation."

PPE in the hospital system was not universally available at that time.

I have worked in hospitals and schools and the treatment of school staff has been shocking. It is funny I was talking about it in rela life recently with a group of people who didnt have kids in schools or know many teachers except me really and thought as you did, they are open, it is great HSE NPHET doing a great job until i told them what it was like day to day and these wre people who knew me as a nurse so know m not a panic merchant. They were stunned.

Regardless of what is put here about schools at the end of the day there is a certain cohort who will blantantly argue blue is green just so they can bash teachers. THere are some who will have honest discourse but eventually they leave because the anti teacher brigade are here en masse.

No I know you dont but you havent been in them. WHat was predicted here and by me was that schools would be opened and stay open down to the teachers and school staff working to keep them open.

THe HSE and NPHET have been appalling in regards to schools. THe schools being open is not down to them.

The schools opening in the first place is entirely down to them insisting they open.

The schools opening in the first place is entirely down to them insisting they open.

Teachers wanted schools reopened but we knew how they would be handled and said it here but were criticised for it and we were right. HSE has been dispicable. SChools handled communicable diseases for years and suddenly the pressure is too much. Ridiculous.

I have worked in hospitals and schools and the treatment of school staff has been shocking. It is funny I was talking about it in rela life recently with a group of people who didnt have kids in schools or know many teachers except me really and thought as you did, they are open, it is great HSE NPHET doing a great job until i told them what it was like day to day and these wre people who knew me as a nurse so know m not a panic merchant. They were stunned.

Regardless of what is put here about schools at the end of the day there is a certain cohort who will blantantly argue blue is green just so they can bash teachers. THere are some who will have honest discourse but eventually they leave because the anti teacher brigade are here en masse.

There needs to be something akin to "Godwins Law" for invoking teacher bashing on these threads. Can anyone come up with a good name for it?

total number = 3480

total number = 3783

I know it sticks in the craw of some on here (some more than others) when health care workers are brought up for comparison

Who?

You have literally made that up.

There needs to be something akin to "Godwins Law" for invoking teacher bashing on these threads. Can anyone come up with a good name for it?

There are threads in the double figures cirictising teachers even tonight we are told we are whinging.

• Advertisement

"Ill-informed and naive Law"

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue though.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement