Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am wondering if it would be best to do a short, sharp shock of Level 5 for 4 weeks with schools closed and see how that goes.

We have to do something drastic alright. Our present trajectory is unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

JDD wrote: »
    I haven't asked my kids to wear one up to now. The older one probably would, the younger one hates them, and when the schools went back I suppose I wanted everything to be as normal for them as possible. There is a few other kids in the class that wear masks for at least a portion of the day.

I'm thinking I'll send them in with their masks tomorrow. I think they'd get it too and with the increase in cases, it is probably the right thing. Even if they only wear them for a portion of the time, it has to be better than not wearing one at all.

We only have 2 kids and the older one is in Secondary so mask is mandatory there. So it was easy for us to treat both kids the same. And she is 11. The WHO recommend masks for 12+ and 6+ in some settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I am wondering if it would be best to do a short, sharp shock of Level 5 for 4 weeks with schools closed and see how that goes.

What. And prove schools are spreading it? Not a chance :)

I know a teacher who shares a house with two other teacher.
    One of those teachers is a close contact (student in their class with a positive test). They are now awaiting a covid test.

So the other two teachers were in touch with whoever they have to contact this morning asking should they get a test and stay home from work as they live with the teacher awaiting the test.

Answer was go into school as normal. You dont need a test. If the teacher you live with has a positive test, then ring us back. Otherwise, go to work.

Would this would not happen in any other setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

JimmyVik wrote: »

One of those teachers is a close contact (student in their class with a positive test). They are now awaiting a covid test.

So the other two teachers were in touch with whoever they have to contact this morning asking should they get a test and stay home from work as they live with the teacher awaiting the test.

Answer was go into school as normal. You dont need a test. If the teacher you live with has a positive test, then ring us back. Otherwise, go to work.

Someone in govt who thinks schools are essential services similar to garda etc, need to get educated about what essential means.

daheff wrote: »
    From what I've heard Covid is spreading because of gatherings of people at homes, not from kids mixing in schools.

So for if that's the problem, them make people stay at home and leave the kids in schools as a first step. If virus numbers still don't drop then we can assume that it's from schools and then close them too.

So because we "heard" something or "assumed" something, we want to put it to test by sending kids to schools and see if they get infected? That's called guinea pig test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

To be fair that’s the set up for all workplaces. They are not a close contact unless their housemate tests positive.

But I agree it’s completely insane

Cases aren't increasing amymore in Dublin since level 3 was introduced 2 weeks ago even though schools still open.

What does that tell you?

That's not evidence to say schools are not spreading. On the other hand, why do you think putting 30 kids in a room for 6 hours won't spread it? Do the kids leave virus at the gate while entering into school?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

niamh247 wrote: »
    So because we "heard" something or "assumed" something, we want to put it to test by sending kids to schools and see if they get infected? That's called guinea pig test.

This !! kids are treated like "guinea pigs".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

niamh247 wrote: »
    That's not evidence to say schools are not spreading. On the other hand, why do you think putting 30 kids in a room for 6 hours won't spread it? Do the kids leave virus at the gate while entering into school?

Whats the difference between putting 30 people in a room in a school and in a factory or as pub?

Only thing I can think of is that the school room is a smaller area by a huge margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Whats the difference between putting 30 people in a room in a school and in a factory or as pub?

Only thing I can think of is that the school room is a smaller area by a huge margin.

You correctly state that 1 room is larger than the other. In fact, a factory floor, even a small one is many times larger than the largest classroom.

The factory floor has adults working there, who will be more conscious on average of the virus and will be more hygienic as a result. The factory floor has a minimum 2 meter distance rule and staff are provided with PPE.

The classroom is full of kids who are not as consciously aware as adults. They are pretty much shoulder to shoulder and are not provided with PPE, or expected to use any. The minimum distance is half that of every other setting and even that is not adhered to because in most cases, the room is not big enough.

I would happily spend a full day in one of those rooms and not a moment in the other. Any guesses as to which one is which?

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Irish Times reporting that NPHETs letter states that moving to Level 5 now is the only way to keep schools open.

(Linking not working for me atm)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Irish Times reporting that NPHETs letter states that moving to Level 5 now is the only way to keep schools open.

its the schools that have caused this spike one month later as everyone said it , and we were warned so **** nphet , https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/when-covid-subsided-israel-reopened-its-schools-it-didn-t-go-well-1.4321658

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Level 5 restrictions were just updated on the Government website
    I just noticed that the Level 5 restrictions that are listed here were updated today.

This morning under "Schools, creches and higher and adult education" it stated

Open with protective measures in place.

But now it states:
    Recommendations based on situation and evidence at time.
    You can see an archived version from yesterday on the Wayback Machine here
    So it looks like Level 5 may involve school closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ShineOn7 wrote: »

That document was available in two different places. One place was updated early last week but the other one wasn't.

This is the Link

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/moving-to-level-5-is-only-way-to-control-covid-19-and-keep-schools-open-nphet-1.4372401

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Schools are obviously a problem and so is the cover up.

I feel desperate for school teachers, school bus drivers etc...who are basically being treated like dirt compared to other sectors.

schools staying open is ridiculous. My nephew goes to school near the border with Lifford and Strabane. A friend of his in the class lives in the North but goes to school in the South. Northern Ireland is not in Level 5. There was a child in a neighbouring school that tested positive 2 weeks ago and the class was sent home. Another child in a playschool in a village in the same area tested positive, and the pod was sent home.

No masks are being worn at any school. There were 3500 news cases in Northern Ireland in the last week, and over a quarter of those were in the Derry Strabane area.

I heard from a friend over in Greyabbey, county Antrim last week, that a husband and wife he knows decided to stay home and isolate since last March. They got their groceries delivered and didnt visit other houses etc. Their son went back to school in September and was sent home because another child in the class tested positive, now the whole family are infected after having been extra careful since last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I don't know what to say about people after today. People are stupid. Before lunch I got a text from school to say Covid case in my son's class but he's not a close contact. My son then came home for his lunch and told me the young person involved is a neighbour of ours. So I'm looking out at their house all afternoon and both the mam's and the dad's cars are not there. Are they not supposed to be restricting their movements ? Btw the dad is also a teacher. So an hour ago I am walking the dog and who passes me by only either the boy himself or his older bother. I can't tell them apart. Even if it's the brother, again where is he off to with a rucksack on his back ? And now the primary school brother has just cycled in their driveway having been in school all day. What the hell. I feel like going over to the house and screaming at them, only the parents are still not there. Or have I got it all wrong or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Schools are obviously a problem and so is the cover up.

I feel desperate for school teachers, school bus drivers etc...who are basically being treated like dirt compared to other sectors.

ha other sectors haven't had a chance to prove themselves and have been shut ,as we were all told schools were the priority look where it has landed us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I don't know what to say about people after today. People are stupid. Before lunch I got a text from school to say Covid case in my son's class but he's not a close contact. My son then came home for his lunch and told me the young person involved is a neighbour of ours. So I'm looking out at their house all afternoon and both the mam's and the dad's cars are not there. Are they not supposed to be restricting their movements ? Btw the dad is also a teacher. So an hour ago I am walking the dog and who passes me by only either the boy himself or his older bother. I can't tell them apart. Even if it's the brother, again where is he off to with a rucksack on his back ? And now the primary school brother has just cycled in their driveway having been in school all day. What the hell. I feel like going over to the house and screaming at them, only the parents are still not there. Or have I got it all wrong or something.

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Exams years I understand but not sure how necessary it is for all schools and years to keep going as normal. Is the economy going to **** really necessary so little Johnny and Mary can learn about Jesus and be taught Irish so badly they'll know little or nothing after years of learning it?

Mrsmum wrote: »

Are you sure your son is correct on who the case is? Would be awful to go over and scream at someone unnecessarily if he is out for a different reason and there is another kid in the class who is positive

Are you sure your son is correct on who the case is? Would be awful to go over and scream at someone unnecessarily if he is out for a different reason and there is another kid in the class who is positive

100% positive who it is. No I'm not the type to scream at anyone so I won't be doing that. Just i am really annoyed and frustrated about it. No wonder it's spreading when people are not abiding by any rules at all.
    But you are right, one needs to be really sure before identifying a person.

If the Government do reject NPHET's advice to move the whole Country to Level 5 and decide to move the rest of the Country to Level 3, given that NPHET's advice was that going to Level 5 was the only way to keep schools open, are the Government then accepting that schools will close at some point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

The school should have sent home the older brother as soon as they knew there was a positive test in the family.

If, of course, you are absolutely positive it is this family.

JDD wrote: »
    The school should have sent home the older brother as soon as they knew there was a positive test in the family.

If, of course, you are absolutely positive it is this family.

The older brother did his LC this year, no longer in school. I think maybe the rest of the family tested negative and think they are good to go now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

If the Government do reject NPHET's advice to move the whole Country to Level 5 and decide to move the rest of the Country to Level 3, given that NPHET's advice was that going to Level 5 was the only way to keep schools open, are the Government then accepting that schools will close at some point ?

I think NPHET know what buttons to push with both the government and the population. Not that I'm saying NPHET drafted the letter knowing that it would be leaked, but I think they knew they had a hard sell on their hands with the government and decided to focus on the one policy decision (schools) that the government have hung their entire hat on.

I'm falling on the side of the government on this one - just. It looks like infections in Dublin are stabilising, and that means that Level 3 is having an effect. Donegal unfortunately too relient on NI's policies.

While the rising level of infections and hospitalisations does make it feel like we need drastic action, if Level 3 is ACTUALLY making a difference, then the government should give that another week to see if more drastic measures are really necessary.

I also think going into Level 5 now is too early, if we want to have some freedoms around Christmas week. If we went into Level 5 now, and finished at Halloween, our breathing space would be in November, and we'd run a real risk of a third lockdown just before Christmas.

I also think the optics of Holohan coming back into the job and screaming "lockdown" within 24 hours didn't look good at all. Whether it was the right or the wrong advice, it looked like a knee jerk reaction and that he'd been chomping at the bit in the wings to "sort things out".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

How much mixing is actually going on in schools?

Are classes ACTUALLY keeping separate from each other?

Are assistants moving between classes?

Are teachers getting together in staff rooms?

If any of the above is happening, the school is effectively a single bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

blackbox wrote: »

Loads. Before school, after school, buses, lunches, option subjects
    No
    Yes
    Yes (some at 2m others not)

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »

In our child's Primary School both classes of the same year group are 1 bubble.
    There are definitely at least 2 other Teachers apart from the class Teacher who come in to the classroom to teach different things.

I don't know the answers to the other questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement