Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the School in Mayo which had 16 Cases (I think) out of 125 Students was ordered to stay open but the School in Kerry has 17 Cases out of 380 something is closed ?

What am I failing to understand ?

Well it seems from reading this thread the 17 cases in Kerry emerged since last Friday, the 16 cases in Mayo were over 6 weeks. Completely different scenario in other words

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If you make exceptions where do you stop? College students, invigilators, JC students, Job interview, civil service exam, driving test, safe pass course, the list could on to such an extent that a large portion of the population could argue a crucial event should put them nearer the top of the queue

Where do you stop?

You stop at LCs only.

There is most likely not going to be a JC exam, the logistics of getting JC and LC done while socially distanced is going to be too difficult to achieve i think.

Why make an exception for LCs?

If they miss their exam there is no repeat facility other than losing a full year. Colleges have long had a provision for late-summer repeats.

Where do you stop?

You stop at LCs only.

There is most likely not going to be a JC exam, the logistics of getting JC and LC done while socially distanced is going to be too difficult to achieve i think.

Why make an exception for LCs?

If they miss their exam there is no repeat facility other than losing a full year. Colleges have long had a provision for late-summer repeats.

My point is there are many potential crucial life changing events that are impacted by the virus. Why just leaving cert. Should expectant fathers get prioritised for the vaccine so they can attend the birth of their child for example

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Claremorris was 16 cases over 3 weeks and 15 of those cases were over 2 weeks ... And a much smaller school..so no less worrying than Kerry.
    Well it seems from reading this thread the 17 cases in Kerry emerged since last Friday, the 16 cases in Mayo were over 6 weeks. Completely different scenario in other words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We made the call. Our sons not going in next week. He will go to the childminder as we still have to work. A close friend got the ‘there is a case you are not currently a close contact’ text for their daughters school and I’m like that’s it. Not taking the chance of getting that over Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

We made the call. Our sons not going in next week. He will go to the childminder as we still have to work. A close friend got the ‘there is a case you are not currently a close contact’ text for their daughters school and I’m like that’s it. Not taking the chance of getting that over Christmas

We made the call this week with our daughter who's in first year. Her exams are done and good results in. We have already been through the close contact in school thing and resulting test. Nobody needs that coming up to Christmas, yet sadly it will happen to families next week. Now it can happen in any scenario, but we just want to limit the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Both our kids are finishing tomorrow. Glad we made that decision.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Both our kids are finishing tomorrow. Glad we made that decision.

Same

Claremorris was 16 cases over 3 weeks and 15 of those cases were over 2 weeks ... And a much smaller school..so no less worrying than Kerry.

It had been reported over 6 weeks at one point here, but either way, as pointed out above, Claremorris was overspill from a massive workplace outbreak. Do we know how many of the kids were the children of parents who worked in the meat plants in Ballyhaunis. Local knowledge suggests most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It had been reported over 6 weeks at one point here, but either way, as pointed out above, Claremorris was overspill from a massive workplace outbreak.

To quote Albert Einstein “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet “.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

raind do you honestly think transmission doesn't happen in school and those children all brought it in - 6 in one class? Working in a primary school i see the children hanging out of each other and chatting animatedly into each others faces every day.. of course a school with that many cases over a 3 week period had to close
    It had been reported over 6 weeks at one point here, but either way, as pointed out above, Claremorris was overspill from a massive workplace outbreak. Do we know how many of the kids were the children of parents who worked in the meat plants in Ballyhaunis. Local knowledge suggests most

To quote Albert Einstein “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet “.

I do believe what people who live in claremorris and have family working in the food plant in Ballyhaunis tell me

raind do you honestly think transmission doesn't happen in school and those children all brought it in - 6 in one class? Working in a primary school i see the children hanging out of each other and chatting animatedly into each others faces every day.. of course a school with that many cases over a 3 week period had to close

No. Of course it happens in school. What happens in school follows the community. You have to ask yourself though, if the department closed the Kerry school but insisted the the Claremorris school stayed open, there must be something fundamentally different in the scenarios in both areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

No. Of course it happens in school. What happens in school follows the community. You have to ask yourself though, if the department closed the Kerry school but insisted the the Claremorris school stayed open, there must be something fundamentally different in the scenarios in both areas.

One thing could be the Dept making a point. The BOM closed the school in Claremorris and NF said schools shall not close. So they were forced to reopen it and only 7 kids turned up. Going by what I have seen so far it is not beyond them to keep it open to make a point. Afterall if one did it sure we lose the run of ourselves and close em all. :rolleyes:

Where is Kerry school area in the rankings? Claremorris has the 5th highest I think community transmission in the country.

khalessi wrote: »
    One thing could be the Dept making a point. The BOM closed the school in Claremorris and NF said schools shall not close. So they were forced to reopen it and only 7 kids turned up. Going by what I have seen so far it is not beyond them to keep it open to make a point. Afterall if one did it sure we lose the run of ourselves and close em all. :rolleyes:

Where is Kerry school area in the rankings? Claremorris has the 5th highest I think community transmission in the country.

Know someone who lives in the town of Claremorris, but sends kids to school out in the country like many in the town. They have no worries whatsoever about sending their kids to school in spite of the cases in the area. There is a reason they have chosen not to send their kids to the school in the town in spite of having gone to the school themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Know someone who lives in the town of Claremorris, but sends kids to school out in the country like many in the town. They have no worries whatsoever about sending their kids to school in spite of the cases in the area. There is a reason they have chosen not to send their kids to the school in the town in spite of having gone to the school themselves

And would you like to elaborate is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Go on then...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

And would you like to elaborate is that it?

I think it’s connected to the Ballyhaunis Cricket Club.

I do believe what people who live in claremorris and have family working in the food plant in Ballyhaunis tell me

And I believe Mark Loftus the principal of the school.

And I believe Mark Loftus the principal of the school.

Mark Loftus has not commented on the source of the outbreak, just the impact on the school

• Advertisement

I think it’s connected to the Ballyhaunis Cricket Club.

Don’t believe so

Mark Loftus has not commented on the source of the outbreak, just the impact on the school

Unlike you I am privy to some of his thoughts on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What has that got to do with Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

hard to believe that we are back up to almost 500 cases a day again so quick, schools are incredibly still open and inter county travel is about to commence officially tomorrow

couldnt make it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

How is it MM gets a covid test a week after interacting with a positive case, while for schools they only go back 48 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

khalessi wrote: »
    How is it MM gets a covid test a week after interacting with a positive case, while for schools they only go back 48 hours?

Yep + I also bet he would be in no way classed as 'close contact' either in school setting as not sitting near enough to Macron.

Its a joke as usual.

Claremorris now has 2nd highest community incidences in whole of Ireland but sure school stays open. An absolute disgrace.

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep + I also bet he would be in no way classed as 'close contact' either in school setting as not sitting near enough to Macron.

Its a joke as usual.

Claremorris now has 2nd highest community incidences in whole of Ireland but sure school stays open. An absolute disgrace.

Is the rate in the community high because of the school, or the rate in the school high because of the rate in the community

Is the rate in the community high because of the school, or the rate in the school high because of the rate in the community

Does it matter for the sake of 3 school days before Xmas?

Does it matter for the sake of 3 school days before Xmas?

Do we know are many of the kids who tested positive children of parents who caught it in the meat plant? That is certainly the suggestion locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I know you firmly believe it’s high in the school due to high rates in the community - pretty academic if you are not directly involved - if I was working in that school than I would prefer it to close. I can control my community exposure but not so much my exposure in school despite it being lauded as a controlled environment. Talk about schools not being a driver are fine on a national level. However this idea of no transmission in schools is a joke - using the premise that there os no spread in Claremorris school as there are no junior classes affected in a senior school is frankly ridiculous. 13% infection rate and 3 /5 of the staff isolating but school ok to reopen is shocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement