Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Do we know are many of the kids who tested positive children of parents who caught it in the meat plant? That is certainly the suggestion locally.

What difference does it make? Its in the school, its like the doctor on Matt Cooper said last night when discussing schools after some gombeen FF politician was on about safety and sanitizer etc "the schools are only as safe as the areas they are in"

Its like sitting in a sinking boat and caring where the hole is! First off get out of the bloody boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

It isn't relevant. 10 15% school population positive means school should close
    Do we know are many of the kids who tested positive children of parents who caught it in the meat plant? That is certainly the suggestion locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Just to clarify - as we’ve had a time frame of 6 weeks banded about :
    According to Mark Loftus on twitter

12 % positivity rate with 15 affected in 2 weeks.

school or community spread at that point is pretty irrelevant I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Of course schools mimic community..so do hospitals, factories etc... Places crowded with people should close if local area incident rate goes over a certain threshold. It's what happens in germany and other countries

the kelt wrote: »
    What difference does it make? Its in the school, its like the doctor on Matt Cooper said last night when discussing schools after some gombeen FF politician was on about safety and sanitizer etc "the schools are only as safe as the areas they are in"

Its like sitting in a sinking boat and caring where the hole is! First off get out of the bloody boat.

Looking at the Mayo data, the underlying trend is stable, with intermittent daily spikes over the last couple of weeks. This suggests that community cases are stable in the area, but mass testing is identifying the bulk of cases. This possibly suggests public health believe it is under control and follow up testing is detecting cases. It would not take many cases to drive a high incidence rate in Claremorris LEA, which includes Ballyhaunis where the meat plants are by the way. That's about 100 cases in the past 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Would you feel confident sending your children in there for a full day?
    What about teachers with vulnerable family members, would you feel safe if that was you?

It's actually sinister that Norma and Co are so determined to keep schools open they don't mind how many children are self isolating for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

No idea. I wud have thought shutting school as a precaution this close to Xmas wud be a wise decision

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What about teachers with vulnerable family members, would you feel safe if that was you?

It's actually sinister that Norma and Co are so determined to keep schools open they don't mind how many children are self isolating for Christmas.

How many of the children picked it up in the school and not from home or another house?

What about teachers with vulnerable family members, would you feel safe if that was you?;

With only 7 kids in the school this week its probably the safest school in Ireland. :p

What I do know is locals that I know have no issue sending their kids to other schools in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

p

What I do know is locals that I know have no issue sending their kids to other schools in the area.

You have alluded to this in a number of your posts. Perhaps you can expand on this point and tell us what you mean by this.

• Advertisement

You have alluded to this in a number of your posts. Perhaps you can expand on this point and tell us what you mean by this.

What I mean by this is that there is no widespread community issue in Claremorris LEA , its a specific issue related to the Ballyhaunis food processing plants and the schools where their kids go. The girls school in Claremorris also has cases however we are not hearing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

What I mean by this is that there is no widespread community issue in Claremorris LEA , its a specific issue related to the Ballyhaunis food processing plants and the schools where their kids go. The girls school in Claremorris also has cases however we are not hearing about it

Then why is it such an issue to close the school with 12% infection rate ?

Ok so, rather than admit that you most likely would not feel safe sending your child in there, or teaching there you dodged the question, well done.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Then why is it such an issue to close the school with 12% infection rate ?

They closed the school in Kerry and not the one in Mayo. Why? Because there is obviously something very different in the nature of the outbreaks

Ok so, rather than admit that you most likely would not feel safe sending your child in there, or teaching there you dodged the question, well done.

Everyone is free to make individual decisions. If someone has a vulnerable relative of course it is advisable to take kids out of a school when there is an outbreak. Public health make population decisions not individual ones however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I think, if I had to work out of the home today, Monday and Tuesday, and I knew that there were only seven children in the whole school, I'd feel perfectly comfortable sending my children in (presumably they are not close contacts of any positive cases and have been told to stay home).

If I was able to stay at home with my kids I would take them out of school until after the Christmas holidays. Not to protect them as such - I think there's a higher chance they'd catch it in the supermarket than in a school with only seven pupils, but to make sure the teachers only have to teach the kids that absolutely have to be there, so that their exposure to the virus is minimised as much as possible. To be clear, I think the teachers have a higher chance of catching it in the supermarket than in a school with only seven pupils, but I understand that this is a stressful time for them, and the less children in the school the more comfortable they will be. So for that reason I would take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

At this point if they closed they would be admitting they messed up.
    Not going to happen.
    As far as im concerned they should have trained students and teachers up in remote learning last August, so they would be ready to do remote schooling if the numbers went up.
    The only way the numbers are going down at this point is for schools to close. They were hanging on because they thoguht they will get a school circuit breaker at Christmas. Lets all hope the Christmas holidays work as a circuit breaker.
    But I would like an external inquiry about the spread in schools and what the HSE and NPHET know that they dont convey to the general public when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/queues-at-test-centre-after-schools-386-pupils-plus-staff-sent-for-checks-39876786.html

Huge numbers sent for testing from that school in Kerry, but sure schools are safe, carry on

Everyone is free to make individual decisions. If someone has a vulnerable relative of course it is advisable to take kids out of a school when there is an outbreak. Public health make population decisions not individual ones however
    I asked about YOU, and you've still evaded the question.

Would YOU (not ONE) be confident that your kids were safe in that school had it been full capacity this week as DES and PH wanted?

JDD wrote: »
    I think, if I had to work out of the home today, Monday and Tuesday, and I knew that there were only seven children in the whole school, I'd feel perfectly comfortable sending my children in (presumably they are not close contacts of any positive cases and have been told to stay home).

7 kids is irrelevant. DES didn't allow the school to close, so they can all turn up tomorrow without breaking any rules, bar the ones isolating.

• Advertisement

Would YOU (not ONE) be confident that your kids were safe in that school had it been full capacity this week as DES and PH wanted?

Who says DES and PH wanted it at full capacity? It seems like a small school, and if you count in the positive pupils and all their close contacts, that'd be half the school isolating at home anyway.

I doubt the DES really care about parents taking their children out for a day or two before the Christmas break. Certainly not this year, and even in any other year they just don't want excessive absences. A couple of days they are not bothered by. They must have assumed that some or most parents would do that.

What DES want is the school to be open for the pupils and parents that really need it to be open. Vulnerable children, parents who work zero hour contracts, parents who cannot put alternative childcare arrangements in at short notice. I'm not saying schools are a childcare centre, but the reality is that people organise their working lives and childcare arrangement around school hours. Last thing DES want is for granny and grandad to have to step in at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/queues-at-test-centre-after-schools-386-pupils-plus-staff-sent-for-checks-39876786.html

Huge numbers sent for testing from that school in Kerry, but sure schools are safe, carry on

The virus has mutated.
    It can no longer read signs that say "School - Viruses keep out"

Id love to see an antibody test for every pupil in that school done.

7 kids is irrelevant. DES didn't allow the school to close, so they can all turn up tomorrow without breaking any rules, bar the ones isolating.

Well, then I'd be texting the other parents in the class to see if they were sending their kids in. If most people were like "ah yeah, sure don't they have the close contacts isolating at home? It's perfectly safe" I'd seriously think about whether the kids NEEDED to be in school for the next few days. Firstly, because if half the class or more was in, there is a slight chance that my kids could catch it. And more importantly I'd like to make the teacher feels as safe as possible. I'd probably decide, because of my own personal circumstances, that they wouldn't need to be in school, and would inform my employers that my children would be at home with me.

However, just because I made that decision for my own family, doesn't mean that I would not want the school to be open for other families that might need it to be open more than I do.

Why do you feel YOU have the right to demand anything form anyone on an anonymous internet forum. What me opinions are are here for everyone to see. It is not anyones right to demand answers on personal information however.

That been said, I would have felt fine sending my kids to school in the Boys NS in Claremorris or felt they were in danger. Once the public health teams had traced community cases to the school and identified pupils it is indicative that the have a handle on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kid just got tested, fingers crossed, gonna have a massive impact on xmas if it comes out the wrong way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

3 teachers in primary school in Cabra tested positive yesterday. Rest of the teachers in that bubble self isolating at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

ongarite wrote: »
    3 teachers in primary school in Cabra tested positive yesterday. Rest of the teachers in that bubble self isolating at home.

Christ the king primary school is it?

Lord Tony doesnt want to hear about this,remember schools are not a concern, it's anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Teacher also here in Enniscorthy in the biggest effin primary school by some distance in the entire county, over 850 pupils.

Sure tis grand, Tony said so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Dub81 wrote: »
    Christ the king primary school is it?

Lord Tony doesnt want to hear about this,remember schools are not a concern, it's anything else.

Yes, that's the school.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

Yes, that's the school.

Jaysus i used to go there as a boy, carefeee times back then.

Is the school staying open?

This really beggars belief the wall of silence from NPHET surrounding schools and deflecting the blame, and not one single media outlet would dare to ask them any hard questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement