Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Dub81 wrote: »
    Jaysus i used to go there as a boy, carefeee times back then.

Is the school staying open?

This really beggars belief the wall of silence from NPHET surrounding schools and deflecting the blame, and not one single media outlet would dare to ask them any hard questions.

And I know so many people with kids in school now who have just decided that they dont believe a word from NPHET, HSE or DES and they are just going out now about their normal business.
    They figure sure if you cant catch it in the germ factory that is a school, in a room with 30 people all day and less than 1m apart, without masks etc, that it would be very, very hard to catch it outside that environment, so why bother being worried at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

JimmyVik wrote: »
    They figure sure if you cant catch it in the germ factory that is a school, in a room with 30 people all day and less than 1m apart, without masks etc, that it would be very, very hard to catch it outside that environment, so why bother being worried at all.

Correct. If schools conditions were not a problem (they are), then everything we know about risk of transmission and infection is wrong. Simple as that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

Isnt it a pity there are no mainstream media outlets who instead of pandering to NPHET like Virgin media and RTE would probe them and ask them hard questions, can you imagine a flustered looking Tony trying to come up with excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Isnt it a pity there are no mainstream media outlets who instead of pandering to NPHET like Virgin media and RTE would probe them and ask them hard questions, can you imagine a flustered looking Tony trying to come up with excuses.

I always found that disturbing actually.
    So many simple questions that needed answering about covid in schools and its like its just washed out of the media.
    Either the caliber of journalist these days is too low, to figure out what questions need to be asked, or they are all in on the news blackout.
    Either way, you cant actually trust what they say anymore about the virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I always found that disturbing actually.
    So many simple questions that needed answering about covid in schools and its like its just washed out of the media.
    Either the caliber of journalist these days is too low, to figure out what questions need to be asked, or they are all in on the news blackout.
    Either way, you cant actually trust what they say anymore about the virus.

Indeed, that Virgin Media crowd appear to be the worst, that Zara King on every evening with the daily case numbers aka daily dose of doom and gloom,but she sems to pander to Holohan and NPHET, not once has she ever probed them, real journalism for me doesnt exist anymore, i remember a time when journalists asked the hard questions and werent afraid to confront people, but now its the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Local secondary got a positive staff member today. Waiting on contact tracing apparently. What a ****ty way for all those staff and students to be going into the weekend. Not sure if parents were told. Staff were but not who it was so their plans are all up in the air for the weekend now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So all Irish media, news talk, today FM, RTE, Virgin, all the newspaper are involved in some sort of cover up. Is that really where we're at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Kids are home now from School. We are going to keep ourselves to ourselves until Schools open in January.

Keep safe and have a peaceful Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

joe40 wrote: »
    So all Irish media, news talk, today FM, RTE, Virgin, all the newspaper are involved in some sort of cover up. Is that really where we're at?

Well News talk and today FM are owned by Communicorp and are capable of anything (e.g. all Irish Times journalists are banned from those stations).
    They represent big business interests and I guess it is in their interests to keep schools open. RTE are simply a media outlet for the government of the day, so I'm not expecting any great revelations from them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can we get back on topic please? Take the stuff about the media to the Conspiracy Theory Forum if you want to continue the discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Why do you feel YOU have the right to demand anything form anyone on an anonymous internet forum. What me opinions are are here for everyone to see. It is not anyones right to demand answers on personal information however.

That been said, I would have felt fine sending my kids to school in the Boys NS in Claremorris or felt they were in danger. Once the public health teams had traced community cases to the school and identified pupils it is indicative that the have a handle on things.
    I'm not demanding anything, I just find it fairly odd to go on and on on this thread for months but not just cough up what you think.

I don't understand your answer though. You would have felt fine sending them and felt they were in danger? Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

joe40 wrote: »

By now people taking any wild guessing, because we have no credible stats when it comes to infections in schools..imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cousin (11 y/o) next door has been identified as a close contact. Teacher tested positive apparently and the whole class are now in isolation. Some Christmas gift.

I'm not demanding anything, I just find it fairly odd to go on and on on this thread for months but not just cough up what you think.

I don't understand your answer though. You would have felt fine sending them and felt they were in danger? Strange.

I would have thought you may have realised the missing ‘not’ due to a typo was implied.

What I think has been consistent. Cases follow the community situation. I expected far more schools to have been closed. It’s been a great success in keeping most schools open for the entire term

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I would have thought you may have realised the missing ‘not’ due to a typo was implied.

What I think has been consistent. Cases follow the community situation. I expected far more schools to have been closed. It’s been a great success in keeping most schools open for the entire term

Thanks Norma.

Thanks Norma.

Look at my posts back to July and you will see I have been consistent in saying classes will be isolated and schools will close. That in and of itself does not mean there is a schools problem. The fact that almost four months in we are able to talk about individual schools closing and not the system grinding to a halt is a huge success. Look at most of Europe experiencing 3 to 10 times our current death rate and if they haven’t already, they are shutting schools. We have done a good job. Teachers, principals, students, parents all.

By all means come back with a glib answer rather than an actual point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

almost 600 cases when are schools closed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

combat14 wrote: »
    almost 600 cases when are schools closed ??

Not soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Not soon enough.

Schools weren't closed at almost 1300. Everything else was closed to let the Nation to keep schools open. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

Thats me wrote: »
    Schools weren't closed at almost 1300. Everything else was closed to let the Nation to keep schools open. ;)

sounds like madness now

• Advertisement

I see Swedish high schools are shutting with an earliest reopenidate of January the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Children of parents who are deemed essential workers can still attend school and daycare here. We’re both somehow deemed essential so ours will be going back on the 4th of January. My colleagues children were still going this week. A lot were in apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Children of parents who are deemed essential workers can still attend school and daycare here. We’re both somehow deemed essential so ours will be going back on the 4th of January. My colleagues children were still going this week. A lot were in apparently.

Out of curiosity, is there online provision for the students at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Out of curiosity, is there online provision for the students at home?

Yes, and the practical stuff is still going on in schools too. The general consensus is that this lockdown is really about keeping people out of their offices when they don’t need to be there. Traffic was pretty much back to normal the last few weeks.

combat14 wrote: »
    sounds like madness now

This is a madness. Politicians are making decisions basing on "balance of interests". But pandemic is definitely not the case for political compromises. It is like a cancer - you cannot half-threat it to make patient more happy and save some finances from treatment. The "balance of interests" works against any interests. Semi-lockdowns like recent L5 just extending struggle of all businesses and everybody in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Someone I know just received a letter for their child being a close contact. It says that new regulations mean household members of the close contact must also now restrict movements until the close contact receives a negative test result. Interesting. Employer is disputing it as HSE website not updated, but letter states new regulations only came in on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its become very clear that the pubs or cafes were never to blame, we could get tiny numbers with the schools closed, even with everything else shut still mad numbers, the kids are still piling on top of each other and spreading it everywhere.

At this point its clear hospitality is paying for the sins of the schools

Its become very clear that the pubs or cafes were never to blame, we could get tiny numbers with the schools closed, even with everything else shut still mad numbers, the kids are still piling on top of each other and spreading it everywhere.

At this point its clear hospitality is paying for the sins of the schools

:D

Sturdiness of whole chain is the sturdiness of least sturdy element of it.

When we closing pubs and caffes - then probably schools getting weakest element.

If we opening pubs and caffes - then probably schools are not weakest element anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

:D

Sturdiness of whole chain is the sturdiness of least sturdy element of it.

When we closing pubs and caffes - then probably schools getting weakest element.

If we opening pubs and caffes - then probably schools are not weakest element anymore.

Possibly but we dont know, its clear schools open mean higher cases, we dont know if non food pubs would cause more cases, we havent tried,

• Advertisement

Someone I know just received a letter for their child being a close contact. It says that new regulations mean household members of the close contact must also now restrict movements until the close contact receives a negative test result. Interesting. Employer is disputing it as HSE website not updated, but letter states new regulations only came in on the 18th.

I'd heard that late on Thursday evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement