Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Minority is causing a massive mess. Look at Wexford, alot more testing positive because of the funeral.

I think there is two issues here (foolish people are always exists):
    1. Not enough enforcement of social isolation
    2. People does not see the Government see the problem serious (not closing schools at L5 as example) and thinking it is not something serious.
    But whatever - proper distancing measures enforced or people will become smart on their own, this means public services closed any way.

Was in a hotel in the summer, masks when u go to reception, clean hands before food. Limited pool.access. All tables 2 meters a part and cleaner not allowed into rooms during visits

Hand sanitizers in any corner? UV disinfection lamps when rooms are empty? Corridors cleaned with bleach and disinfectant? Is reception touch-less? Anything else touch-less? Food served into rooms or you go to hotel restaurant? Protective measures in the kitchen preventing spread by staff with a food? It is difficult to maintain public places safe during pandemics. There should be some kind of certification of business with regular checks to ensure protective measures are still at place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

764 cases today less than a week to xmas
    was only about 200 cases last week

looks like we are heading for level 5 lockdown in jan again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

combat14 wrote: »
    764 cases today less than a week to xmas
    was only about 200 cases last week

looks like we are heading for level 5 lockdown in jan again

And they will still send every kid to school tomorrow and Tuesday in the middle of this, bloody morons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

And they will still send every kid to school tomorrow and Tuesday in the middle of this, bloody morons

Parents in some cases are being decisive. Know for definite that 11 of my class won't be in this week.

Parents in some cases are being decisive. Know for definite that 11 of my class won't be in this week.

Majority of my students will be in tomorrow, decision should have been made by the department to close Friday with the huge increase happening, a lot of people, kids, parents, public just don't care anymore and will go on as normal for Christmas

Be very interesting to see what will be done with schools in January if cases skyrocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Having schools open tomorrow and Tuesday is just plain stupid. The call should have been made to close them on Friday. If people can work from home with kids for months back in March - surely it can be done for two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Having schools open tomorrow and Tuesday is just plain stupid. The call should have been made to close them on Friday. If people can work from home with kids for months back in March - surely it can be done for two days.

A lot of people finished up for Xmas last Friday too

Majority of my students will be in tomorrow, decision should have been made by the department to close Friday with the huge increase happening, a lot of people, kids, parents, public just don't care anymore and will go on as normal for Christmas

Be very interesting to see what will be done with schools in January if cases skyrocket

Prior evidence indicates we'll be open regardless of number. We were hovering around 1300 for a week and it wasn't even considered as an option. Disruption though in schools will be bad after Christmas.

The changing of the rule with regards to family of close contacts also having to restrict movements until test results are back means the numbers of kids and staff missing days will multiply. Mocks at secondary level will face enormous issues and after that the orals and practicals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

And to think there are some people who don't think schools are a problem. The main thread is a right laugh with an outstanding scale of stupidity from some definitely protesting too much.

Laughable.

km79 wrote: »
    A lot of people finished up for Xmas last Friday too

Chatting to the young lads at training, in their schools it mainly seemed to be just 1st years in finishing their exams and also TY in for interviews. Literally a tick the box to say the school was open. In one of the schools leaving certs were in for half days on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

None of my class have contacted the school to say they won't be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The numbers are rising fast. I understand people are fed up but we were still asked to limit contacts. Its pretty obvious people are not following those guidelines.

Edit to add. Alot of people are not following guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

jrosen wrote: »
    The numbers are rising fast. I understand people are fed up but we were still asked to limit contacts. Its pretty obvious people are not following those guidelines.

Edit to add. Alot of people are not following guidelines

It's not just about not following the guidelines, either. Many of the social activities taking place now in pubs, restaurants and so on are very much within the guidelines, but it is the guidelines themselves which are not reflecting the seriousness of this dynamic and fast-deteriorating situation.

None of my class have contacted the school to say they won't be in.

I emailed all mine and explicitly asked them if they weren't coming in to just drop me an email. Email said that I 100% agree with any decision to keep kids out of school given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

I emailed all mine and explicitly asked them if they weren't coming in to just drop me an email. Email said that I 100% agree with any decision to keep kids out of school given the circumstances.

Just out of interest, was this a blanket school policy? No judgement, it was a smart move to email home and be upfront with parents. Am just wondering as I don't think our principal would take kindly to it if I sent that email.

Blondini wrote: »
    And to think there are some people who don't think schools are a problem. The main thread is a right laugh with an outstanding scale of stupidity from some definitely protesting too much.

Laughable.

What has changed since November?

It’s in 25 to 54 year olds where cases are soaring

I dont know anyone keeping their kids out personally. Mine are going in.

Just out of interest, was this a blanket school policy? No judgement, it was a smart move to email home and be upfront with parents. Am just wondering as I don't think our principal would take kindly to it if I sent that email.

I don't feel the need to run something like that by our principal. I wasn't telling them to stay at home but felt that I needed to say that I supported whatever they did. Helped ease the conscience of some parents. Realistically we aren't going to be doing anything apart from crowd control over the next few days.

What has changed since November?

What's changed is that the penny has finally dropped (for the vast vast vast majority anyway).

Is anyone else absolutely dreading the return in January already?

• Advertisement

Is anyone else absolutely dreading the return in January already?

I wouldn't say im dreading it but i am expecting to be out of work again and also have my kids possibly out of school. Not overly concerned for the primary one but I have one sitting JC this year. So that concerns me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

London strain of the virus is going to add to the madness

Anyone else get the feeling in the pit of their stomach that we aren't being told something very important with regards to this variant? Something big has to happening to cause this reaction from so many different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Anyone else get the feeling in the pit of their stomach that we aren't being told something very important with regards to this variant? Something big has to happening to cause this reaction from so many different countries.

I read somewhere today that it's 70% more transmissible as it transmits successfully on a much lower viral load. I'll try to find the link. If true, it might explain the higher number of cases in schools now? They told us in the beginning that kids were 'safe' as they transmitted less aerosols/particles. If this variant is more easily transmissible, that argument won't hold anymore.

Yep. Another few twists and turns to come in this mess unfortunately.

Fcuking sick of it all at this stage.

Blondini wrote: »
    What's changed is that the penny has finally dropped (for the vast vast vast majority anyway).

Cases under control at level 5 with schools open, out of control at level 3

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's probably more a case of them not being entirely sure about it. They are still analysing it.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's probably more a case of them not being entirely sure about it. They are still analysing it.

How can that be the case if as has been reported they have been aware of it since early September?

Not really! I do think the 70% more transmissible possibilities have caused huge concern though and they have been forced to make a decision. It won’t be IMO overturned either.

We are just about holding our own and had been doing well by all accounts. We can’t afford to import more virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Cases under control at level 5 with schools open, out of control at level 3

The stats show otherwise:

https://twitter.com/oliveblogs/status/1338737429671534598

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement