Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

Darwin wrote: »

The latest data shows the highest growth rate is among 25 to 34 year olds. Followed by the 35 to 44 year olds. The data you shared is up to the 14th, which means cases were predominantly seeded before the lifting of restrictions. The data from the last 7 days has shifted the picture.

Edit. In fact the case data you shared seems to have been until the 5th. Which in no way reflects the picture since relaxing restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

The latest data shows the highest growth rate is among 25 to 34 year olds. Followed by the 35 to 44 year olds. The data you shared is up to the 14th, which means cases were predominantly seeded before the lifting of restrictions. The data from the last 7 days has shifted the picture.

Edit. In fact the case data you shared seems to have been until the 5th. Which in no way reflects the picture since relaxing restrictions

No you said "Cases under control at level 5 with schools open, out of control at level 3." We went into level 5 lockdown on October 19, so the above data does not validate your point in any way.

Darwin wrote: »
    No you said "Cases under control at level 5 with schools open, out of control at level 3." We went into level 5 lockdown on October 19, so the above data does not validate your point in any way.

So going from 1200 a day to 200 with schools open was not control.

Of course a higher portion of the smaller number of cases were going to be school cases as they remained open. But it was a massive reduction. Remove restriction and cases rise rapidly in older age groups and more slowly among school ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I wonder if the new variant will spread in schools more so compared to the other one?

Beverly Hills, California

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I wonder if the new variant will spread in schools more so compared to the other one?

Depends who you ask.

Anyone who understands the concepts of infection and transmission, and understands the conducive conditions for same in schools, would say yes, of course.

The others.... well erm ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Blondini wrote: »
    Depends who you ask.

Anyone who understands the concepts of infection and transmission, and understands the conducive conditions for same in schools, would say yes, of course.

The others.... well erm ...

That is a really interesting comment.

Could you give an example of any specific person who has said that?

Or is just your own expert opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

My teenagers had a health and wellbeing day on Fri, basically they watched videos of their choice for the day. They were told to bring in their books tomorrow as it would be a proper school day. I can't tie that in with the message here of no need to turn up tomorrow as my kids' school seems to be saying the opposite. Personally I thought it would have been better to have the fun day tomorrow, alot of kids would not have bothered going in for a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Mrsmum wrote: »
    My teenagers had a health and wellbeing day on Fri, basically they watched videos of their choice for the day. They were told to bring in their books tomorrow as it would be a proper school day. I can't tie that in with the message here of no need to turn up tomorrow as my kids' school seems to be saying the opposite. Personally I thought it would have been better to have the fun day tomorrow, alot of kids would not have bothered going in for a video.

See they did the normal end of term stuff on Friday. Threatening normal stuff tomorrow is probably their way or trying to deter some from coming in. Same as me telling mine on Friday that tomorrow and Tuesday would have lots of cleaning to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Business as usual for both our schools too. They did movie etc on Friday. They are just hoping for no homework. lol

See they did the normal end of term stuff on Friday. Threatening normal stuff tomorrow is probably their way or trying to deter some from coming in. Same as me telling mine on Friday that tomorrow and Tuesday would have lots of cleaning to be done.

Yeah but as a parent it reads to me like if you don't turn up tomorrow, you miss a proper school day of being taught. They might be better off saying what they actually mean !

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Business as usual for both our schools too. They did movie etc on Friday. They are just hoping for no homework. lol

They in primary?

We were told by our principal to do whatever party, secret santa and movie end of term stuff on Friday so that parents who wanted to keep kids off weren't being put under pressure by the kids to be let go to school for secret santa, party and movie days this week. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be all about filler and especially if at all possible me doing as much as possible outdoors. Don't fancy getting that text saying I'm a close contact so will do anything and everything possible to avoid it.

Yeah but as a parent it reads to me like if you don't turn up tomorrow, you miss a proper school day of being taught. They might be better off saying what they actually mean !

We can't actually say it straight out though.

It's like 6th class finishing a few days early in June. Never actually put down in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's like 6th class finishing a few days early in June. Never actually put down in writing.

Or we might awake Norma and her team of inspectors

They in primary?

We were told by our principal to do whatever party, secret santa and movie end of term stuff on Friday so that parents who wanted to keep kids off weren't being put under pressure by the kids to be let go to school for secret santa, party and movie days this week. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be all about filler and especially if at all possible me doing as much as possible outdoors. Don't fancy getting that text saying I'm a close contact so will do anything and everything possible to avoid it.

One primary one secondary

Yes not an ideal time to get it. Have heard of so many paying for private tests before they visit family over xmas. Can understand why if it gives them some peace of mind

I suppose. I thought it was perhaps because it's nearly easier to do a regular class and stamp down on their giddiness at this time of year as opposed to be trying to entertain them otherwise.

Its going to be really difficult for anyone who is now positive or a confirmed close contact. Their Christmas is effectively cancelled.

I suppose. I thought it was perhaps because it's nearly easier to do a regular class and stamp down on their giddiness at this time of year as opposed to be trying to entertain them otherwise.

Well I can only speak for myself. I know I'll have about half a class tomorrow. Cannot teach anything to half a class. We'll do some irish language work, some maths problem solving skills but they are dressed up as a murder mystery type thing and weather permitting some time outside doing 'PE'. Loads of Christmas colouring sheeting as well under the guide of coordinates work. Really it's all just busy work.

Its going to be really difficult for anyone who is now positive or a confirmed close contact. Their Christmas is effectively cancelled.

Friend of mine got the close contact communication late yesterday evening. Getting test in the morning. Unwanted early surprise which effectively ruins her Christmas now.

Friend of mine got the close contact communication late yesterday evening. Getting test in the morning. Unwanted early surprise which effectively ruins her Christmas now.

Heard of 2 myself over the weekend similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Have heard of so many paying for private tests before they visit family over xmas.

Could not this be a reason of sudden spike of cases!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

daheff wrote: »
    From what I've heard Covid is spreading because of gatherings of people at homes, not from kids mixing in schools.

So for if that's the problem, them make people stay at home and leave the kids in schools as a first step. If virus numbers still don't drop then we can assume that it's from schools and then close them too.

I think schools should be 100% closed. They're breeding grounds for covid. Principles are not allowed to tell teachers if theres a covid case in the school. The only time the classes are being told to stay home is if there's MORE than one confirmed case in the class or if the teacher has tested positive... But yet the teachers are not being seen as being a close contact if they've been in contact with one child that's a confirmed case of covid. Teachers are also currently way down the list for vaccines.. Something like 10 or 11 on it despite being in enclosed spaces with a group of kids. Of course if kids are asymptomatic and mixing they're going to be bringing the virus back into their homes with their family members who are more susceptible to it. The stability and mental health aspects for kids with schools being open is probably better... But there's no doubt in my mind they're spreading the virus and teachers need to be treated much better. (And no, I'm not a teacher) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wonder can this new Brexit strain of the Virus get into schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I wonder can this new Brexit strain of the Virus get into schools?

No, schools are the only place where it can not get into :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

536794.JPG

im not exactly sure what this is for but errr thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Dub81 wrote: »
    im not exactly sure what this is for but errr thanks anyway.

That doesn't really surprise me, since you seem to think that it's more of a priority to open a pub than a school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

Lillyfae wrote: »
    That doesn't really surprise me, since you seem to think that it's more of a priority to open a pub than a school.

nope i dont at all, but it's clear to all except those in denial that schools have been the source of outbreaks and pubs havent, but dont let the facts get in the way of a good story :rolleyes:

nope i dont at all, but it's clear to all except those in denial that schools have been the source of outbreaks and pubs havent, but dont let the facts get in the way of a good story :rolleyes:

How is it clear? When cases in all other age groups are accelerating rapidly, and cases were stable prior to reopening.

In all likelyhood its in creased household gatherings that are the major issue however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A Pub is the cause for the big out break in Wexford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement