Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

How is it clear? When cases in all other age groups are accelerating rapidly, and cases were stable prior to reopening.

In all likelyhood its in creased household gatherings that are the major issue however.

Outbreaks in schools, kids then pass onto their parents.

Some people really are in denial over the whole schools thing, refusing to believe that they are a source of infection, and instead blame pubs all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

A Pub is the cause for the big out break in Wexford

sure of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

A Pub is the cause for the big out break in Wexford

Was it not a funeral? I heard mass was suspended in some parishes because all the priests are self isolating after being in contact with the priest who performed the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Was it not a funeral? I heard mass was suspended in some parishes because all the priests are self isolating after being in contact with the priest who performed the funeral.

It was.

It was a combination of events.

Church rammed for funeral
    No social distancing for burial
    House rammed for days with people visiting over the course of a 3 day wake.
    People travelling from uk and the us with no isolation
    The pub rammed also with a marquee for the funeral and no social distancing.
    Priest being slap bang in the middle of it all and doing another funeral and a baptism after along with visiting other parochial houses over the following days, ferns I know for a fact being one. In fact a senior person investigating it told me the area would be better served if the church and priest were locked down!

They are causes of the outbreak but of course people just seem keen to run with it’s all the pubs fault exempting everything else cos ye know, agendas and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

JeffKenna wrote: »

A funeral with a pub "afters", complete with marquee no less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

536794.JPG

Hmm?

536803.png

Thats me wrote: »
    Hmm?

536803.png

Thanks for this. Error in my excel sheet meant I gave the daily two day rolling total. Corrected now and same pattern still stands

536804.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

the kelt wrote: »
    It was.

It was a combination of events.

Church rammed for funeral
    No social distancing for burial
    House rammed for days with people visiting over the course of a 3 day wake.
    People travelling from uk and the us with no isolation
    The pub rammed also with a marquee for the funeral and no social distancing.
    Priest being slap bang in the middle of it all and doing another funeral and a baptism after along with visiting other parochial houses over the following days, ferns I know for a fact being one. In fact a senior person investigating it told me the area would be better served if the church and priest were locked down!

They are causes of the outbreak but of course people just seem keen to run with it’s all the pubs fault exempting everything else cos ye know, agendas and stuff!

The church part I wouldn't be so sure on. The pub was packed on the first day and then family had it in a marquee for three days.

Son(6o) of the deceased died over the weekend. Other villages nearby are impacted by it and has spread to alot of those villages sadly.

Pub will reopen this thursday in time for the St Stephens day parties

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

This seems like not an either or, as far as pubs vs schools go. Both involve big groups of people, often unmasked, gathering in large unventilated rooms. The virus can spread far and wide in both of these environments and one being open vs the other is just a matter of political and societal priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Fair few schools dropping like flies and closing now. Latest few in Waterford and Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Blondini wrote: »
    Fair few schools dropping like flies and closing now. Latest few in Waterford and Laois.

Households are to blame sure :rolleyes:

We are meant to be heading to my parents for Christmas and im very close to cancelling it with how rampant its getting in schools at the moment. They would be heartbroken if i did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Thank you to any teachers on this thread for all the difficult and stressful work over the past 4 months. It's a pity schools didn't close on Friday (it would have helped I think) but I hope you each get a good break over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

9 kids in today out of 27. Will be less tomorrow. Sensible option would have been to shut on the 18th and reopen on the 4th.

Parents asking will we be open and my response is that going on previous that of course we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »

Wow, just wow. Why wait until the 25th though? Know it's probably to do with their lockdown which will be in place or is it moreso to give schools a chance to actually get things properly implemented?

There will be a (diminishing) few around here perplexed by this, as it looks like the NI education minister is also wrong about schools.

Wow, just wow. Why wait until the 25th though? Know it's probably to do with their lockdown which will be in place or is it moreso to give schools a chance to actually get things properly implemented?

Its kind of bizarre alright! Possibly to give time but at this stage most schools are well set up for it. It will certainly make running mocks easier.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Rural school not far from me now has a confirmed case. Child was in at the start of last week but then out sick from early on for the rest of the week

Got a test towards the end of the week results came back positive at the weekend.

Public health decision: no close contacts.

Certainly adds a nice air of mystery to the Christmas for the rest of them.

Seeing reports of another circular released today regarding partial and full closures. Me thinks there is something brewing.

Rural school not far from me now has a confirmed case. Child was in at the start but then out sick from early on for the rest of the week

Got a test towards the end of the week results came back positive at the weekend.

Outside their 48hr window so they don't care.

• Advertisement

Rural school not far from me now has a confirmed case. Child was in at the start but then out sick from early on for the rest of the week

I think someone has to inhale a litre of spittle from a positive person to be considered a close contact in educational settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Blondini wrote: »

Very sensational headline, that’s not what it says. It says that it supports schools remaining open but schools must prepare for remote learning in the event of closures. Circular here: https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0074_2020.pdf

Outside their 48hr window so they don't care.

Yep. I thought some discretion might be applied given the time of year but obviously not.

Yep. I thought some discretion might be applied given the time of year but obviously not.

Discretion would have been a circular for all schools to shut on the 18th and reopen on the 4th. I've yet to speak to anyone in education who would have argued against it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Very sensational headline, that’s not what it says. It says that it supports schools remaining open but schools must prepare for remote learning in the event of closures. Circular here: https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0074_2020.pdf
    Remove the January reference and it's pretty much what they are asking. The fact that it is December 2020 is the arrogant part of it. The government nailed the flag to the mast long ago about keeping them open and regardless of whether or not you agree schools are a driver, the fact that a nationwide online plan was not put in place before now is a ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Lillyfae wrote: »

Why is this circular dated November if according to the article it was sent out on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

I think the fact that Simon Coveney came out today and more or less said schools will stay open no matter what is practically a guarantee that they will. Both big coalition parties saying so gives it significantly more weight than the Minister alone saying it. Too much political capital will be lost if they have to row back on these promises.

Discretion would have been a circular for all schools to shut on the 18th and reopen on the 4th. I've yet to speak to anyone in education who would have argued against it.

True.

In the school in question their last contact was the 14th so at least if they got tested and the all clear they'd be free for the Christmas now as it is they're in a sort of limbo unless they seek their own tests.

That circular is a month old
    There was a newer one released last Friday
    Neither state anything about impeding closures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

There was a newer one released last Friday
    I couldn't find it on DES site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement