Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The aul agriculture minister must have been ignoring or not implementing the guidelines properly either seeing as he says he worse a mask.

I know, he must have been in a staffroom. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The aul agriculture minister must have been ignoring or not implementing the guidelines properly either seeing as he says he worse a mask.

Clearly he would have been much safer in a school.I don’t know why they wasted money on the conference centre when they could have crammed 35 of them into a classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I actually don’t understand why our gov have not made the dep guidelines available to other countries. They are so effective in stopping transmission of covid 19 . I mean transmission only occurs when they are not implemented or not implemented correctly. Bad form on behalf of the gov anyone have Michael Ryans number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Clearly he would have been much safer in a school.I don’t know why they wasted money on the conference centre when they could have crammed 35 of them into a classroom.

Anyone else find it interesting that the whole cabinet are being deemed close contacts?? Every last one of them being tested. Irish Times says this is 'in accordance with public health guidelines.' So very different guidelines to those applied in schools where we practically have to fight to get tested and staff and students end up having to get referrals from their GP. No wonder the data has such gaping holes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/staff-rooms-a-key-risk-for-spread-of-covid-19-in-schools-health-officials-warn-1.4414623

"Overall, the review found schools remain safe with very limited evidence of transmission of the virus.

The report found the proportion of close contacts of pupils or staff who tested positive remained low, despite high levels of community transmission across Ireland, particularly in Dublin, during October."

"In addition, it says staff rooms have “not infrequently” been highlighted as an area of concern for potential for infection transmission, resulting in a significant number of staff members being identified as close contacts."

As I said, schools are not fuelling local transmission except where the Departmental guideline are ignored and/or not implemented fully. Staff rooms are a clear example of this.

Now, I don't need teachers to tell me anything, the public health officials are the experts.

As I said in an earlier post, the impact of a more transmissible mutation may change things, but schools remain the safest place for everyone so long as the rules are followed.

The public health officials state that the virus spreads indoors and when households mix.

The public health officials also state that schools are safe.

These statements are not compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

“ At the end of December daily cases could be as high as 1,000 and soar to 1,500 in the first week of the year.

In order to cope the HSE is only to test the close contacts of people who are found to have the infection once,instead of twice.”

Be grand sure ......

km79 wrote: »
    “ At the end of December daily cases could be as high as 1,000 and soar to 1,500 in the first week of the year.

In order to cope the HSE is only to test the close contacts of people who are found to have the infection once,instead of twice.”

Be grand sure ......

Tis one surefire way to reduce the strain on the system. Minister of agriculture would have slipped through if only one test.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hair-salon-should-have-been-informed-of-covid-case-says-taoiseach-1.4444795

From the article:

The Taoiseach said the HSE had “always adopted the principle of not telling employers, not telling even school principals in some situations, about a particular employee getting the virus. That has been a bone of contention”.

He added: “When I read that story, I thought that they should have been told. I would like to get further detail from the HSE on that specific case.

“I don’t have the detail of the case itself but equally if you think of it if somebody is two and a half hours in a particular salon, given we have to act now as if the variant is here, then we have to really assess that in terms of the probability of somebody more likely picking up [the virus] in certain scenarios, and that’s why we’ve taken the precautionary principle of closing personal services.”

Maybe there's hope for MM yet if he is finally acknowledging publicly that HSE not informing principals was problematic??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hair-salon-should-have-been-informed-of-covid-case-says-taoiseach-1.4444795

From the article:

The Taoiseach said the HSE had “always adopted the principle of not telling employers, not telling even school principals in some situations, about a particular employee getting the virus. That has been a bone of contention”.

He added: “When I read that story, I thought that they should have been told. I would like to get further detail from the HSE on that specific case.

“I don’t have the detail of the case itself but equally if you think of it if somebody is two and a half hours in a particular salon, given we have to act now as if the variant is here, then we have to really assess that in terms of the probability of somebody more likely picking up [the virus] in certain scenarios, and that’s why we’ve taken the precautionary principle of closing personal services.”

Maybe there's hope for MM yet if he is finally acknowledging publicly that HSE not informing principals was problematic??

No he’s throwing out a sop to keep people happy - oh I agree ... but nothing will change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Because education is the same as Tinder

Sure why would anyone be so focused on tinder right now anyhow. Its the complete opposite of social distancing and reducing interactions.

• Advertisement

lulublue22 wrote: »
    No he’s throwing out a sop to keep people happy - oh I agree ... but nothing will change.

If they don't inform the principal, employer or business owner then how does proper.xontact tracing take place?

Mehole must have forgot about the reporters. Funny how every now and again, someone let's the mask slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

serious talk now in govt of hard lockdown if variant covid really is in country

already nphet calling for non essential retail to close 26th dec

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

combat14 wrote: »
    serious talk now in govt of hard lockdown if variant covid really is in country

already nphet calling for non essential retail to close 26th dec

How much harder can our current (or imminent) lockdown get, other than closing shops and schools?:confused:

How much harder can our current (or imminent) lockdown get, other than closing shops and schools?:confused:

Maybe something like what we had at the start.

I cannot tell you how many shops I've been to in the past two weeks where the hand sanitiser dispenser was empty, display on the windows showing what their occupancy is meant to be but multiples of that in the shop. People just do not give a frig.

its starting to sound like a march lock down again.. most of uk heading into tier 4 lockdown shortly..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They should have had a coherent, universal plan and trained for remote learning. How long have they had to do this now? Total farce.

They will end up having to close schools and it will just be a sh!t show again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

I can't see how they can bring the schools back after this break. The numbers will be off the charts by next week it will be pure madness.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I can't see how they can bring the schools back after this break. The numbers will be off the charts by next week it will be pure madness.

even nphet are saying that they are not sure level 5 lockdown will solve the problem this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The public health officials state that the virus spreads indoors and when households mix.

The public health officials also state that schools are safe.

These statements are not compatible.

This! All day this!

I’ve seen posters one prominent that must look like the Heath ledger version of the joker their mouths must be so stretched from talking out of both sides of it.

Preaching all day on other threads about the dangers of doing exactly what he says is fine to do in schools on here.

Logic just seems to go out the window when it comes to schools all because Micheal Martin has so little going for him he needs another “smoking ban” moment to justify he done something no matter what the consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

combat14 wrote: »
    even nphet are saying that they are not sure level 5 lockdown will solve the problem this time

Goes to show how bad the levels are - we need a level 6 if that’s true, yet 4 was never used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

ElJeffe wrote: »

They'll say the children are better off in a 'controlled environment' than visiting each other in their homes, or out on the streets in groups, if schools were closed

JimmyVik wrote: »

They will end up having to close schools and it will just be a sh!t show again.

I don't see all schools being closed. What I do see happening st some stage is 4th/5th6th class kids being told they have to wear a mask. All primary schools to remain open. Can see non exam classes at secondary going remote for a period but that all teaching will happen from the classroom.

Now where the real **** show is going to occur is the amount of pods, classes, year groups, whole schools, random bus loads of children having to isolate/restrict movements. Add in various different school staff also missing days/weeks. I foresee a huge amount of disruption up to the February midterm and possibly beyond. The change to the family of close contacts also having to restrict movements and therefore not allowed attend school will mean huge nu bers being impacted. Two days here, three days there.

I don't see all schools being closed. What I do see happening st some stage is 4th/5th6th class kids being told they have to wear a mask. All primary schools to remain open. Can see non exam classes at secondary going remote for a period but that all teaching will happen from the classroom.

Now where the real **** show is going to occur is the amount of pods, classes, year groups, whole schools, random bus loads of children having to isolate/restrict movements. Add in various different school staff also missing days/weeks. I foresee a huge amount of disruption up to the February midterm and possibly beyond. The change to the family of close contacts also having to restrict movements and therefore not allowed attend school will mean huge nu bers being impacted. Two days here, three days there.

I agree that we will be seeing some “blended learning “ for secondary at some point
    I don’t see primary kids wearing masks though

Where is this change to family of close contacts restricting movements ? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times but can’t see it on HSE website

km79 wrote: »
    I agree that we will be seeing some “blended learning “ for secondary at some point
    I don’t see primary kids wearing masks though

Where is this change to family of close contacts restricting movements ? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times but can’t see it on HSE website

Principal emailed us all to say it. I haven't bothered to look for a link. Principal saying it's in place since the 18th is good enough for me.

Ohh and about a quarter of my class are wearing masks as it is. Plenty of the class openly wondering why the senior classes aren't expected to wear them. When kids are questioning it then we have a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

They'll say the children are better off in a 'controlled environment' than visiting each other in their homes, or out on the streets in groups, if schools were closed

But if that were the case, how do you reconcile this?
    "The public health officials state that the virus spreads indoors and when households mix."

In school, both my kids are mixing with at least 30 children and staff from other households and siblings in other schools too.

My kids won't be mixing if schools close but if some did mix with a couple other children, that's less than the 30+ they're in close contact with indoors for hours 5 days a week... The new strain is also thought to be more virulent with children, scientists are studying that.

Principal emailed us all to say it. I haven't bothered to look for a link. Principal saying it's in place since the 18th is good enough for me.

Ohh and about a quarter of my class are wearing masks as it is. Plenty of the class openly wondering why the senior classes aren't expected to wear them. When kids are questioning it then we have a problem.

It would want to be clarified so that all schools are doing the same
    Maybe it’s just for primary ? 100% didn’t come to my secondary school
    I wonder actually if it was just for the week leading up to xmas as they began to panic ....

Stateofyou wrote: »
    But if that were the case, how do you reconcile this?
    "The public health officials state that the virus spreads indoors and when households mix."

In school, both my kids are mixing with at least 30 children and staff from other households and siblings in other schools too.

My kids won't be mixing if schools close but if some did mix with a couple other children, that's less than the 30+ they're in close contact with indoors for hours 5 days a week... The new strain is also thought to be more virulent with children, scientists are studying that.

Thats their out.
    Those studies will show up exactly what previous ones in other countries have shown about transmission via schools.
    Nphet will then use that data as their excuse to now close schools. They have been very underhanded with the situation in schools and need a way out without admitting they were wrong all along.

I also see that since yesterday that the 2nd test is gone until at least the 12th of January. Just the initial test and that's it.

I also see that since yesterday that the 2nd test is gone until at least the 12th of January. Just the initial test and that's it.

Yes
    So back to school with LESS testing
    Not ideal

• Advertisement

It would be worthwhile to do an antibody test on the entire population of even one large school.
    But they are afraid of what the result might show, so they wont do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement