Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

tom1ie wrote: »
    How about we send secondary students across the country home to live stream their classes.
    We move primary classes into the much bigger secondary school rooms.
    Not really solving the issue but possibly a small incremental improvement.

Something similar was done in Denmark when schools reopened, they originally only reopened for primary students who were able to use the secondary school on the same campus. Other primary schools used museums, football stadiums, and other public bulidings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

khalessi wrote: »
    Something similar was done in Denmark when schools reopened, they originally only reopened for primary students who were able to use the secondary school on the same campus. Other primary schools used museums, football stadiums, and other public bulidings

I'm not sure if that would work here. There's very little primary schools that have a secondary school on the same campus - unless it is a private school. Secondary schools normally have a number of different primary schools in the same area that feed into them.

The insurance companies that cover museums and libraries and civic halls would probably refuse to continue to cover if a load of primary school children were allowed in. Especially museums. It's a sad fact but insurance companies control a lot of what can and can't happen in this country.

JDD wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that would work here. There's very little primary schools that have a secondary school on the same campus - unless it is a private school. Secondary schools normally have a number of different primary schools in the same area that feed into them.

The insurance companies that cover museums and libraries and civic halls would probably refuse to continue to cover if a load of primary school children were allowed in. Especially museums. It's a sad fact but insurance companies control a lot of what can and can't happen in this country.

I dont think it would work here but great example of thinking outside the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I dont think it would work here but great example of thinking outside the box

Oh I agree. And I think they have a much better handle on the virus. Might well be because they have been willing to restructure how primary school children are taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

How about we send secondary students across the country home to live stream their classes.
    Not really solving the issue but possibly a small incremental improvement.

Very creative solution! Definitely has merit in it...now just to get you into the Department :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is this generally true? Wouldn't be my experience of schools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Is this generally true? Wouldn't be my experience of schools

Generally no, not on average. While primary schools tend to be closer to the mean average, secondary schools have some larger, but also some smaller rooms. On average, they are the same size in my experience.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Doctor Glynn essentially just said at the briefing that track and trace cannot keep up with the numbers. The HSE had 6 months to get things organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Doctor Glynn essentially just said at the briefing that track and trace cannot keep up with the numbers. The HSE had 6 months to get things organised.

That's the reality on the ground in schools. Public health are admitting to principals that they cannot keep on top of the situation. Schools are meant to wait for contact from public health but this is not happening. Schools are depending on parents to inform them of cases. The system is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

So contact tracing is failing due to huge community transmission but we certainly know schools are safe, thats good :)

• Advertisement

Out of interest, whatever happened to that media story collaborating with the Facebook page and principals? Was that that shut down too?

So we had a national school fully closed down yesterday and a post primary today?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Out of interest, whatever happened to that media story collaborating with the Facebook page and principals? Was that that shut down too?

So we had a national school fully closed down yesterday and a post primary today?

That page never existed (!)
    The narrative has changed. Did no one tell you. Schools can stay open now(900 cases per day). But last June (30 cases per day) they could not re-open because infection would spread.

Shh. If they find out I said this I will be called unpleasant names again.

Well they are certainly running out of other obvious workplaces/groups to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wow, both Tony & George have said its community wide but we don't know where its coming from?

Would they like to visit a few schools + they might get a wake up call?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

28 cases in Westmeath school today. Many students are waiting on tests, so that will increase in the coming days.
    I saw study a month ago from Canada saying a classroom with 30 students is five times more infectious then classroom with 15 students. Here of course we have highest numbers of students in classes in Europe.
    Its incredible the cases in schools are not being reported in the national media. Parents deserve to know whats going on in schools. And I know at times there can be anti teacher setiment sometimes in the general public. But the teachers have been great throughout this process and their safety is important also.
    If the government get away with it they will. But the media shouldnt be covering up. But the Irish media has long record of not telling the Irish people the truth. Everyone in the media knew the corruption in politics throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s , they knew some of the top politicians and councillors were involved in serious corruption in off shore accounts, the building sector and beef industry sector. And yet years and years passed and media ignored all the above. And here we are in 2020 and the Irish media have disgraced themselves again by not working in the public interest and saying what is actually going on in schools. But instead schools are not even being mentioned. Compare this to the outbreak of cases in meat factories a while back, to schools now. Its unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

appledrop wrote: »
    Wow, both Tony & George have said its community wide but we don't know where its coming from?

Would they like to visit a few schools + they might get a wake up call?

the dogs on the street know its the schools they will never say it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Sonny678 wrote: »
    And I know at times there can be anti teacher setiment sometimes in the general public.

There isn't in my experience, just a handful of the usual cretins on here that still hold a grudge against some bad teacher they had 40 or 50 years ago.

And a bit in the Indo or Newstalk, but if you're working off a billionaire's script you best believe bashing public servants is gonna be rule #1.

The vast majority of people are well aware that teaching is a difficult job at the best of times never mind what they're being asked to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Sonny678 wrote: »
    28 cases in Westmeath school today. Many students are waiting on tests, so that will increase in the coming days.
    I saw study a month ago from Canada saying a classroom with 30 students is five times more infectious then classroom with 15 students. Here of course we have highest numbers of students in classes in Europe.
    Its incredible the cases in schools are not being reported in the national media. Parents deserve to know whats going on in schools. And I know at times there can be anti teacher setiment sometimes in the general public. But the teachers have been great throughout this process and their safety is important also.
    If the government get away with it they will. But the media shouldnt be covering up. But the Irish media has long record of not telling the Irish people the truth. Everyone in the media knew the corruption in politics throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s , they knew some of the top politicians and councillors were involved in serious corruption in off shore accounts, the building sector and beef industry sector. And yet years and years passed and media ignored all the above. And here we are in 2020 and the Irish media have disgraced themselves again by not working in the public interest and saying what is actually going on in schools. But instead schools are not even being mentioned. Compare this to the outbreak of cases in meat factories a while back, to schools now. Its unreal.

This information is against the government "narrative".
    Schools immune, restaurants bad. Close restaurants. Stop people taking a mid-term break in an Irish hotel. I'll keep my €1000 that i would have spent in Ireland. Going to USA to visit family in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Purplewaters

This is all fine and well, but if we close schools, how the hell do kids get an education and how do parents work.

I completely agree the virus is spreading in schools but what is the alternative?

Some sort of blended learning might work but where is the department of education in all this. Shocking.

Just wondering why people can't have kids at home doing work thats been assigned and work at the same time? Their kids are in classes of up to 30 in school so thr most one to one attention they could reallt be getting is a few mins an hour. Surely the parents could explain the activities or set up the web cam in morning then on their break. Not saying it is ideal but this idea that a parent cannot be at home with kids ans work is a bit obsurd when rhe kids are in classes of up to 30 they need to be at least a bit independent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Abiya041

Just wondering why people can't have kids at home doing work thats been assigned and work at the same time? Their kids are in classes of up to 30 in school so thr most one to one attention they could reallt be getting is a few mins an hour. Surely the parents could explain the activities or set up the web cam in morning then on their break. Not saying it is ideal but this idea that a parent cannot be at home with kids ans work is a bit obsurd when rhe kids are in classes of up to 30 they need to be at least a bit independent

But what about the parents that work outside of the home.They could be essential healthcare workers or other frontline workers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Abiya041 wrote: »
    But what about the parents that work outside of the home.They could be essential healthcare workers or other frontline workers.

Either working opposite shifts, family or carer help.

I've just seen there's a massive cluster happening now in a Mullingar school, 28-29 cases. School is shut down. Has anyone seen or heard this in the media? Cases in schools near to my area from all directions, getting very nervous. :(

Abiya041 wrote: »

So let's say children of people who have to work outside the home went to school during level 4 say. That would be reduced numbers so therefore a safe enough environment. It would need to be only essential workers or frontline however and then possible target children from tough backgrounds who would already attend services. This would make sense for level 4 and 5.

So let's say children of people who have to work outside the home went to school during level 4 say. That would be reduced numbers so therefore a safe enough environment. It would need to be only essential workers or frontline however and then possible target children from tough backgrounds who would already attend services. This would make sense for level 4 and 5.

There would even be a case for children entitled to learning support attending also and numbers would still be lower. If the govt cared mostly avoht education thia would be the fairest way to go about it.

On a different note politically I think Micheál Martin wanted to bring schools back as Leo had them closed with small numbers of cases which prob kept the numbers low. Leo is now encouraging Micheal to behave in a clearly risky way so that he looks like the hero who did a better job. They say rhe female leaders did a better job with covid 19. Maybe because their egos weren't as much of a factor?

There would even be a case for children entitled to learning support attending also and numbers would still be lower. If the govt cared mostly avoht education thia would be the fairest way to go about it.

On a different note politically I think Micheál Martin wanted to bring schools back as Leo had them closed with small numbers of cases which prob kept the numbers low. Leo is now encouraging Micheal to behave in a clearly risky way so that he looks like the hero who did a better job. They say rhe female leaders did a better job with covid 19. Maybe because their egos weren't as much of a factor?

I taught learning support online, and it worked well. Some of the kids I rang and went through stuff step by step if they needed it.

One thing I'm sure of is that loads of community cases are spreading because of schools. Not sure what will happen next as rhe govt seem more concerned with going 3, 4, 5 than peoples health and safety.

I thought learning support online, and it worked well. Some of the kids I rang and went through stuff step by step if they needed it.

:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1316093455395958787

Good thread on infection rates in the UK. It’s based on the ONS data, so it’s a random sample and therefore removes any of those conspiracy theories that kids aren’t being tested. Very little change in infection rates amongst primary school children, doing much better than the overall population. Secondary school not so good, albeit still way better than the university age population.

TheTorment wrote: »
    :o:o:o

Hilarious :D:D:pac::pac: spot the tired person. Good thing I haven't dyslexia as that could have be done in a pm but sure no worries. Fixed it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Scoondal wrote: »
    This information is against the government "narrative".
    Schools immune, restaurants bad. Close restaurants. Stop people taking a mid-term break in an Irish hotel. I'll keep my €1000 that i would have spent in Ireland. Going to USA to visit family in April.

Only US citizens are currently allowed in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement