Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I agree with you completely, but having seen how easily the fears and dangers of schools with regards covid has and is swept under the carpet and ignored i would put a lot of money on a full return on the 6th regardless of case numbers

I see no reason for them not to return. We got cases down the last time via lockdown and kids in schools.

How many kids have spread it to other kids so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I see no reason for them not to return. We got cases down the last time via lockdown and kids in schools.

How many kids have spread it to other kids so far?

How do you expect a serious answer to that when we know they have not being testing properly in schools or considering people close contacts. I smell a whiff of sarcasm from your question considering you post here all the time and would know this is one of many topics of conversation here.

ALso take into account the speed of numbers rising and Dr. Anthony Staines saying on tv during week that schools are spreaders. Also that the new strains are recognised as being more infectious among children.

khalessi wrote: »
    How do you expect a serious answer to that when we know they have not being testing properly in schools or considering people close contacts. I smell a whiff of sarcasm from your question considering you post here all the time and would know this is one of many topics of conversation here.

ALso take into account the speed of numbers rising and Dr. Anthony Staines saying on tv during week that schools are spreaders. Also that the new strains are recognised as being more infectious among children.

Dr Anthony Staines is a little ott in fairness. Even his recommendations for xmas dinner.

If kids were spreaders, their families would get it off them off them. We are testing all with the symptoms. Now during lockdown the numbers came down with the schools open, so they weren't the source of spreading it.

The source of spreading the virus is the adults

Dr Anthony Staines is a little ott in fairness. Even his recommendations for xmas dinner.

If kids were spreaders, their families would get it off them off them. We are testing all with the symptoms. Now during lockdown the numbers came down with the schools open, so they weren't the source of spreading it.

The source of spreading the virus is the adults

Well if ya say so, schools safe so, close this thread.

Interesting Britain thinking of keeping schools closed till Feb midterm not that I would expect here to do the same despite Tony Holohan being worried about the speed of the rapid rise in numbers. They must have more adults in their schools. leo did say they would be kept open so no worries.

Well if ya say so, schools safe so, close this thread.

Interesting Britain thinking of keeping schools closed till Feb midterm not that I would expect here to do the same despite Tony Holohan being worried about the speed of the rapid rise in numbers. They must have more adults in their schools. leo did say they would be kept open so no worries.

You haven't answered my question, but instead switched your argument.

How many teachers have picked it up from kids in the schools?

Britain have made an arse of alot of things during covid, so not an example to follow.

• Advertisement

Britain have made an arse of alot of things during covid, so not an example to follow.

Your question about how many kids have got it in schools, I answered it already sorry it isnt the answer you want

Your question about how many kids have got it in schools, I answered it already sorry it isnt the answer you want

You didnt. I asked why did lockdown work if kids were spreading it?

regarding teachers, a number I saw the other day is over 6000 teachers have it and I bet the vast majority will not be related to schools. The same way Norma announced on 65 i think it was children caught it in schools in December, which is interesting as 4 occured in my school.

Yeah I get it schools are safe. As has been asked elsewhere if schools are so safe why doesn everywhere else do what we are doing along with decreasing cleaning budget by 40%?

You didnt. I asked why did lockdown work if kids were spreading it?

Didnt see it but there is an arguemt on here that says it didnt work. Why do you think it did. Did we reach 50 cases per day befrore reopening? DId we reopen too soon? Should we be putting time limits on it?

regarding teachers, a number I saw the other day is over 6000 teachers have it and I bet the vast majority will not be related to schools. The same way Norma announced on 65 i think it was children caught it in schools in December, which is interesting as 4 occured in my school.

Yeah I get it schools are safe. As has been asked elsewhere if schools are so safe why doesn everywhere else do what we are doing along with decreasing cleaning budget by 40%?

You answered your own question. Schools are safe as teachers are social distancing from other adults. Outside schools that isnt happening in other industries.

• Advertisement

You answered your own question. Schools are safe as teachers are social distancing from other adults. Outside schools that isnt happening in other industries.

Oh I know how safe schools are, so safe they are reducing cleaning budget by 40%. So safe because there are issues with identification of close contacts. So safe that they have decided family members of close contact should isolate now alonng with the close contact, something suggested by school staff since the beginning but shure we are daft what would we know.

Now we are facing unprecedented rise in numbers with a decreased budget and are still not being listened to. It will not end well.

Re teacher numbers it would not look well if they were traced back to schools, optics dear. Any other sector would be going nuts.

Oh I know how safe schools are, so safe they are reducing cleaning budget by 40%. So safe because there are issues with identification of close contacts. So safe that they have decided family members of close contact should isolate now alonng with the close contact, something suggested by school staff since the beginning but shure we are daft what would we know.

Now we are facing unprecedented rise in numbers with a decreased budget and are still not being listened to. It will not end well.

We will see. But if we do shutdown the schools, all employees will go on the pup payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

We will see. But if we do shutdown the schools, all employees will go on the pup payment.

Not the teachers though, they don't need to concern themselves with such trivial challenges

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Grand dont moan about children not being educated, I could see you in front row. I taught well during last lockdown, sorry to tell you. But that is not what you are interested in. The pup argument always clarifies for me where a person is coming from, their angle, thank you for clarifying.

Grand dont moan about children not being educated, I could see you in front row. I taught well during last lockdown, sorry to tell you. But that is not what you are interested in. The pup argument always clarifies for me where a person is coming from, their angle, thank you for clarifying.

You can teach secondary kids remotely, but not primary.

I had to help our kids teacher with PowerPoint etc for remote learning in the last lockdown. She did well but it's not near the quality as it would be in the school.

Giving kids work to do and send it in to be corrected is not the same thing.

Not all kids have remote access facilities either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not the teachers though, they don't need to concern themselves with such trivial challenges

And that post sums up a lot of the angst here

Teachers getting paid even if they are off work or schools are closed

I had to help our kids teacher with PowerPoint etc for remote learning in the last lockdown. She did well but it's not near the quality as it would be in the school.

Speak to government re remote access. I taught primary very well, had the parents BOM and principal remarking on it. It is possible, kids in Australia taught over bush radio for years.

Well done on helping your own kids. I presume as you are making a point of because you dont dont bother normally helping them?

And that post sums up a lot of the angst here

Teachers getting paid even if they are off work or schools are closed

No problem in them getting paid if the same quality of work is happening and all kids have access to the work

No problem in them getting paid if the same quality of work is happening and all kids have access to the work

That is an issue to be solved by government that they have deliberatley have ignored it over the last 9 months.

I gave my best to the kids I do teach and also offered assitance to people on here if they wanted it and elsewhere.

Speak to government re remote access. I taught primary very well, had the parents BOM and principal remarking on it. It is possible, kids in Australia taught over bush radio for years.

Well done on helping your own kids. I presume as you are making a point of because you dont dont bother normally helping them?

Describe your process of online learning. The steps you took etc? How did you keep a young kids attention etc lke you did in school?

Always involve in my kids education, help the school out with stuff also, especially in an area they struggle with.

• Advertisement

Describe your process of online learning. The steps you took etc? How did you keep a young kids attention etc lke you did in school?

Always involve in my kids education, help the school out with stuff also, especially in an are they struggle with.

Why? Like I said I proved myself to those involved in my school, the children, the parents, BOM and principal. They were satisfied.

That is an issue to be solved by government that they have deliberatley have ignored it over the last 9 months.

I gave my best to the kids I do teach and also offered assitance to people on here if they wanted it and elsewhere.

But you are one of the good ones. I know a few that did nothing during the lockdown.

Our kids teacher did well, but when you ask the kids about it, feedback is very interesting.

Teacher went back over the same stuff in sept and oct, she told us during parent teacher meeting, it worked well for our kid but not alot of the others.

Why? Like I said I proved myself to those involved in my school, the children, the parents, BOM and principal. They were satisfied.

Because if you have a good template, it be good to share it so we can bring it forward to other schools

Because if you have a good template, it be good to share it so we can bring it forward to other schools

Oh and you think Boards is where a professional does that? Interesting.

It generally would not be where I would look for educational matters beyone discussion and the usual abuse reserved for teachers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

But you are one of the good ones. I know a few that did nothing during the lockdown.

Our kids teacher did well, but when you ask the kids about it, feedback is very interesting.

Teacher went back over the same stuff in sept and oct, she told us during parent teacher meeting, it worked well for our kid but not alot of the others.

Alot of that time period is re-establishing routines, good habits and revision of previous topics so that the foundation is good enough to move forward. That is the same in primary every year.

So parents were happy, kids not oo much. Welcome to schooling.

Oh and you think Boards is where a professional does that? Interesting.

It generally would not be where I would look for educational matters beyone discussion and the usual abuse reserved for teachers here.

Maybe look at IT section on boards and see how ideas are exchange and how people learn.

Can you PM me it instead? Like to give it our kids teachers and they are open to new approaches all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

And some of last years LC students apparently didn’t have remote access either which was one of the reasons we ended up with the random number generator LC.
    But now they are all in college remotely but it’s not a problem for those students anymore, miraculously

Maybe look at IT section on boards and see how ideas are exchange and how people learn.

Can you PM me it instead? Like to give it our kids teachers and they are open to new approaches all the time.

Thank you for showing me how people learn, I am eternally in your gratitude 15 years in uni taught me nothing till now.

Your kid's teacher will know as a professional where to find these ideas since they are so open. We do have other methods apart from pming random people on Boards.

Alot of that time period is re-establishing routines, good habits and revision of previous topics so that the foundation is good enough to move forward. That is the same in primary every year.

So parents were happy, kids not oo much. Welcome to schooling.

But it was new to alot of.the kids and not revision.

I know how the primary school works, the teachers explains it very well before the year starts and in parent teaching meetings.

It's a very good approach the primary schools have

• Advertisement

eastie17 wrote: »
    And some of last years LC students apparently didn’t have remote access either which was one of the reasons we ended up with the random number generator LC.
    But now they are all in college remotely but it’s not a problem for those students anymore, miraculously

How many of those kids with no access went to college?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement