Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

khalessi wrote: »
    Thank you for showing me how people learn, I am eternally in your gratitude 15 years in uni taught me nothing till now.

Your kid's teacher will know as a professional where to find these ideas since they are so open. We do have other methods apart from pming random people on Boards.

We all know UNI doesn't teach us anything that works in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Maybe look at IT section on boards and see how ideas are exchange and how people learn.

Can you PM me it instead? Like to give it our kids teachers and they are open to new approaches all the time.

How about you pm me, your name, your child's name and their teacher's name, with your concerns and I will speak to them professionally one to one about where they can make improvements based on your recommendations, cut out the middle man. Easier if they have questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

eastie17 wrote: »
    And some of last years LC students apparently didn’t have remote access either which was one of the reasons we ended up with the random number generator LC.
    But now they are all in college remotely but it’s not a problem for those students anymore, miraculously

It's like the kid who when asked where is the online homework says they don't have WiFi at home inly for their friend to stick their hand up and say but I was online gaming with you yesterday. That is actually a true story from my room.

All that time wasted damn. Best tell guys in that IT section you wanted me to look at. Well at least I dont have to waste my time there.

How about you pm me, your name, your child's name and their teacher's name, with your concerns and I will speak to them professionally one to one about where they can make improvements based on your recommendations, cut out the middle man. Easier if they have questions.

Why would I give personal information out?
    I didnt ask you for personal info, I asked you for the template of your online education program.

Two very different things.

• Advertisement

I didnt ask you for personal info, I asked you for the template of your online education program.

Because firstly the work is personal to me and my situation. Secondly there would be questions a professional would have for another professional so just easier to go direct.

Do you get mechanics to email you the step by step guide of how they will fix your car or surgeons before they operate?

All that time wasted damn. Best tell guys in that IT section you wanted me to look at. Well at least I dont have to waste my time there.

Uni is based on theory, deals with the happy path of a profession. Real life experiences is what makes a professional, dealing with time pressure, or in your profession a disruptive kid, less intelligent kids, more intelligent kids, parents that dont believe their kid is a bully or can do no wrong. College doesn't teach u this.

Maybe email Norma and ask her what the departments online emplate is so that every teacher works kinda the same.

Uni is based on theory, deals with the happy path of a profession. Real life experiences is what makes a professional, dealing with time pressure, or in your profession a disruptive kid, less intelligent kids, more intelligent kids, parents that dont believe their kid is a bully or can do no wrong. College doesn't teach u this.

Yet again thank you for telling me how things work. You are so wise. I am just relieved, I didnt look at those IT guys you recommended as they mostly went to Uni, and now I have to find a doctor who didn't go. for that special treatment. By the way could you direct me to a teacher who didnt go to uni. I am feeling I need to reassses my life and interactions.

Because firstly the work is personal to me and my situation. Secondly there would be questions a professional would have for another professional so just easier to go direct.

Do you get mechanics to email you the step by step guide of how they will fix your car or surgeons before they operate?

Usually ask them what is wrong and how do you plan on fixing it. Why did it happen etc.

Always go with the 'w' approach

• Advertisement

Yet again thank you for telling me how things work. You are so wise. I am just relieved, I didnt look at those IT guys you recommended as they mostly went to Uni, and now I have to find a doctor who didn't go. for that special treatment. By the way could you direct me to a teacher who didnt go to uni. I am feeling I need to reassses my life and interactions.

Never said you didnt need to go to uni, said the real life experiences outside is what makes the professional.

Usually ask them what is wrong and how do you plan on fixing it. Why did it happen etc.

Yes but that is not the same as asking for a step by step guide.

For the surgeons too? And do they discuss with you step by step, what to do? How do you trust them? Shoud they wake you during surgery to ask what to do next?

Oh btw, gps who have not seen patients face to face since pandemic started, should they be on the PUP? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I always find its such a bs excuse, particularly at post primary where every kid is using til tok, has a phone with data, or playing xbox or PlayStation online every day, the vast majority have the means to take part in remote learning, its just the parents don't have the discipline to make them and would rather blame the "system" or "teachers".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And that post sums up a lot of the angst here

Teachers getting paid even if they are off work or schools are closed

If there was a hint of objectivity here, it's blatantly obvious Teachers have been at the forefront of pushing for closures through their representative organisations. It's a simple statement of fact that teachers have not lost a single cent throughout this pandemic, the same certainly can not be said for secretaries, SNA"s, maintaince and cleaning staff.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Never said you didnt need to go to uni, said the real life experiences outside is what makes the professional.

So I should be dealing with a fellow professional and not go through you, duly noted.

Yes but that is not the same as asking for a step by step guide.

For the surgeons too? And do they discuss with you step by step, what to do? How do you trust them? Shoud they wake you during surgery to ask what to do next?

Oh btw, gps who have not seen patients face to face since pandemic started, should they be on the PUP? Asking for a friend.

Why haven't they seen the gp?

Why haven't they seen the gp?

Dealt with over phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Parent here. I am anxious about sending our kids back next week. But I have always been worried about them catching the virus at school.
    But now the numbers seem high and on the wrong trajectory.

We sent the kids back to school in August and they didn't miss a day until we took them both out early on December 18th.

Personally, I am glad we finished early as we got a notification from the Primary on Saturday evening the 26th of a positive case in the school. Not our Class. But the whole Class in question plus the Teacher are now close contacts and will need to be tested. Several Parents are worried now at the possibility of their child being positive and having potentially passed it on to others during family Christmas get-togethers.

It's easy for me to accept or even agree with school closures depending on how bad things are as I am a SAHM and can keep ours here at home.
    But I really believe that Parents should have the choice. In the US, our friends can choose to have their kids do remote learning from their house while some of their classmates are in class. And despite the fact that both of them work (one fully wfh and one partly wfh) remote learning is the choice they have made. They make it work. Kids are 5 and 7.

Both of our kids did well last time. The Secondary School was excellent and I would have total confidence in them.
    The Primary less so but this year our daughter has a brilliant Teacher. 5th Class. From Week 1 last August he has them all online. All homework is on the online Platform. At the beginning I helped our daughter but now she doesn't need any assistance at all. Her (useful as opposed to games) computer skills have really improved. Again I would have total confidence if the schools closed again.

Our school also asked Parents back in September for those who had issues with lack of devices etc to contact the school in confidence.

On kids being "safer" at school, some kids are and some aren't and blanket statements don't help. Our own kids unquestionably are safer at home.

Is there any further research on whether or not this new UK variant is worse for children or more easily transmissible between kids?

Dealt with over phone.

Doesnt answer my question.

My oh my. What wasted years we've all had in university. Actually it appears that I've wasted three periods of my life in university. All those qualifications that aren't needed in the "real world" when instead I could ask for a step by step guide on how to do something on a place like boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Maybe email Norma and ask her what the departments online emplate is so that every teacher works kinda the same.

I don't think teachers were the full problem with online learning. I think children's learning styles are different and their motivation and backgrounds are so mixed. Many fanilies i spoke to who didn't engage well with the process found it difficult because it was so unlike the normal routine.

I have a lot of children and grandchildren and the one thing i have learned is that teachers are fantastic at motivating and encouraging students, at adapting in a classroom to get the best from them. That is nearly impossible to replicate online and that's why schools do a better job when open.

Having said that i would like to see schools closed till 11th Jan to make them safer for our families to go back to.

Doesnt answer my question.

GP wont see them will only do phonecalls. Should gp be on PUP?

GP wont see them will only do phonecalls. Should gp be on PUP?

Why wont the gp see them?

I don't think teachers were the full problem with online learning. I think children's learning styles are different and their motivation and backgrounds are so mixed. Many fanilies i spoke to who didn't engage well with the process found it difficult because it was so unlike the normal routine.

This is an issue in the classroom also.

Why wont the gp see them?

There does be a pandemic on gp will only do phonecalls. So should they be on the PUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

A five year old would give a great answer

There does be a pandemic on. So should they be on the PUP?

Gps are open, was down at ours around 6 times over the last 9 months.

Gp's goes into nursing homes every week to check on patients.

So need more info on the why from you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

This is an issue in the classroom also.

And if you read the rest of my post i said that teachers are fantastic at adapting in a classroom to get the best from students. This would be much more difficult online.

And if you read the rest of my post i said that teachers are fantastic at adapting in a classroom to get the best from students. This would be much more difficult online.

I saw that, I was actually agreeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Piehead wrote: »
    Exactly right. Schools should remain closed until Easter if not the summer depending on vacation roll out

It just needs to be a 2 or 3 week closure...assuming everywhere else is Level 5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement