Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

combat14 wrote: »
    exactly numbers are very low at moment only about 700 a day at present

Since when is 700 low?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

exactly numbers are very low at moment only about 700 a day at present

Thats just because they are results for Christmas Day/ Stephens Day.

No one is going to get tested on those days even if they should. I expect numbers to be back up to 1200 in a day or two and 2 weeks from now when all mingling from Christmas comes home to roost we will be 2000+ a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

alroley wrote: »
    Since when is 700 low?

Gonna guess it's sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

serious divisions in uk govt about reopening english schools will have to see how things pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Schools in Hamburg

https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1343611613182451712

This is how teachers are assessed in schools in Ireland, a number of different people stating their experience which will no doubt be ignored as it is twitter.

https://twitter.com/MartinaBroe1/status/1343649051166838785

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/1475393262725729/posts/2711654949099548/

From a frontline doctor in the UK .

“I'm writing this from the middle of one of the most ridiculous night shifts. I'm really trying to not be hyperbolic when I say this, but the health service, specifically north London hospitals, is past breaking point. I cannot fully explain how much trouble we are in.
    All of our intensive care units are full. Barnet, Royal Free, UCLH, North Middlesex. All of our hospital beds are full. We have patients on the verge of death in A&E department because there's simply nowhere to put them if they need a ventilator. I'm not talking about the elderly and frail. I mean people in their 40s, 50s, 60s. We do not have the space in our hospitals nor the staff to look after any more patients. Not only covid patients, I mean anything.
    Please don't mix with other households. Not even your families. Not your friends. Not your mum or your dad. Not even if "I only see them" or "they don't see anyone else". You may think people are being careful but the reality is there's no such thing. Any human contact will spread this virus, especially the new mutant strain.
    People are complaining that cancer services and routine operations are being put on hold because of lockdown and covid. This is so patently ridiculous a complaint but I need to address it. Hospitals are so overwhelmed dealing with emergency care right now that it is impossible to deal with anything else. It's not only covid emergency care, it's everything. This is the direct result and the logical conclusion of allowing the virus to rampantly spread through out communities as we have done.
    I'm sorry if this sounds preachy, but it needs to be said. We need to take more responsibility for our own health and that of the rest of our local communities. We need to do the right thing. That's all this comes down to - doing the right thing. Not seeing other people. Not going into other people's houses. Don't invite people over. Not even to the garden. If you must see people, do it two metres away with masks. Forget whatever rules the government has made for us - it's clear they have largely not been based on what needs to be done to drive down infections. Just act as if everyone you know has just tested positive and you need to avoid them like - quite literally - the plague.”

going to be some fun and games if new strain breaks out here ... the schools will be the least of our worries ..

going to be some fun and games if new strain breaks out here ... the schools will be the least of our worries ..

IF it breaks out here, already confirmed it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

My daughter is in transition year and I am seriously considering not sending her back next week. Any one else with similar thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

“I'm writing this from the middle of one of the most ridiculous night shifts. I'm really trying to not be hyperbolic when I say this, but the health service, specifically north London hospitals, is past breaking point. I cannot fully explain how much trouble we are in.
    All of our intensive care units are full. Barnet, Royal Free, UCLH, North Middlesex. All of our hospital beds are full. We have patients on the verge of death in A&E department because there's simply nowhere to put them if they need a ventilator. I'm not talking about the elderly and frail. I mean people in their 40s, 50s, 60s. We do not have the space in our hospitals nor the staff to look after any more patients. Not only covid patients, I mean anything.
    Please don't mix with other households. Not even your families. Not your friends. Not your mum or your dad. Not even if "I only see them" or "they don't see anyone else". You may think people are being careful but the reality is there's no such thing. Any human contact will spread this virus, especially the new mutant strain.
    People are complaining that cancer services and routine operations are being put on hold because of lockdown and covid. This is so patently ridiculous a complaint but I need to address it. Hospitals are so overwhelmed dealing with emergency care right now that it is impossible to deal with anything else. It's not only covid emergency care, it's everything. This is the direct result and the logical conclusion of allowing the virus to rampantly spread through out communities as we have done.
    I'm sorry if this sounds preachy, but it needs to be said. We need to take more responsibility for our own health and that of the rest of our local communities. We need to do the right thing. That's all this comes down to - doing the right thing. Not seeing other people. Not going into other people's houses. Don't invite people over. Not even to the garden. If you must see people, do it two metres away with masks. Forget whatever rules the government has made for us - it's clear they have largely not been based on what needs to be done to drive down infections. Just act as if everyone you know has just tested positive and you need to avoid them like - quite literally - the plague.”

Have you a link for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.facebook.com/1475393262725729/posts/2711654949099548/

I wonder is the current wave of cases at football clubs symptomatic of what's happening in wider society in the UK? That's one arena where clusters can't be hushed up or brushed under the carpet...

• Advertisement

I wonder is the current wave of cases at football clubs symptomatic of what's happening in wider society in the UK? That's one arena where clusters can't be hushed up or brushed under the carpet...

You mean the Man City case? Has to be a massive breakout for that game to have been called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You mean the Man City case? Has to be a massive breakout for that game to have been called off.

There's been multiple lower league games called off this week, far more than for any previous round of games I can recall

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12174342/coronavirus-efl-says-it-can-handle-fixture-schedule-amid-more-postponements-of-games

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

My daughter is in transition year and I am seriously considering not sending her back next week. Any one else with similar thoughts.

Yes, our kids will be home at least the first two weeks. We will be keeping an eye on things.

You gotta do what you think is best for your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Yes, our kids will be home at least the first two weeks. We will be keeping an eye on things.

We are seriously considering it. Will make final decision early next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are seriously considering it. Will make final decision early next week.

I think a lot more people will see the light.

Up to now, schools, and the people inside them, have been the sacrificial lamb for the good of the economy (child minding).

This time around it might be a step too far if the sombre projections of case numbers come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

kippy wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen the varying expectations alright from parents of similiarily aged kids. From we would like the teacher on zoom with all the kids for the normal school day to we'd like the teacher do a one to one on zoom for a few minutes a day, to we'd like the teacher speak with the kids once a week to just send out the work for the next week on Friday evening and be available for email questions.....these were all of the same aged kids (aged 7 or 8)
    While all environments are different some guidelines to set expectations from the parents and of the teacher would be a good starting point.
    The technology was an issue however. Primary aged kids tend not to have their own laptop or capable tablet. I think as an audience on boards or a tech audience in general, don't appreciate this factor at all.
    But the point is, we are nine months down this path and I've yet to see any overarching policy work done on this to clear things up and remove barriers if they exist. This is an issue.
    It's a departmental failure I'd say more so than ministerial.

I can't remember if I've told this story on here or not but during lockdown a teacher friend of mine had a parent constantly griping about the online provision (which was done very well, we're talking live lessons, marking etc). She wanted every child to get an individual live lesson for an hour a day - this in a room with 24+ children. Some remedial maths lessons might have been in order for that mother...

The lack of any cohesive national advice is shocking. The Dept put out just enough waffle to cover their own arses and be able to point the finger at schools when parents complain.

I can't remember if I've told this story on here or not but during lockdown a teacher friend of mine had a parent constantly griping about the online provision (which was done very well, we're talking live lessons, marking etc). She wanted every child to get an individual live lesson for an hour a day - this in a room with 24+ children. Some remedial maths lessons might have been in order for that mother...

The lack of any cohesive national advice is shocking. The Dept put out just enough waffle to cover their own arses and be able to point the finger at schools when parents complain.

Does the mother think each child gets an individual hour with the teacher in school each day? What an utter clown of a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Does the mother think each child gets an individual hour with the teacher in school each day? What an utter clown of a person.

I think they joked about scheduling her kid in for a 2am lesson one night and then a 9am lesson the following day to prove a point :D

She would never have been given it obviously but you know she'd expect to choose her lesson times and for everyone else to be given the unreasonable hours. People like that are all "me me me" and elbows out.

It really did prove the point though that you can never make everyone happy...

almost 3100 cases on island today

opening schools seems like a genius idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

almost 3100 cases on island today

opening schools seems like a genius idea

Yeah cases have spiralled out of control since schools closed, they clearly need to reopen early to help get things back under control.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I think they joked about scheduling her kid in for a 2am lesson one night and then a 9am lesson the following day to prove a point :D

She would never have been given it obviously but you know she'd expect to choose her lesson times and for everyone else to be given the unreasonable hours. People like that are all "me me me" and elbows out.

It really did prove the point though that you can never make everyone happy...

And why you shouldn't even try!

Yeah cases have spiralled out of control since schools closed, they clearly need to reopen early to help get things back under control.

Only closed 7 days. The impact one way or another wouldn’t be felt yet. Rolling closures in high impact areas may need to be considered as a break if in two weeks cases and hospitalisations don’t stabilise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Might be no harm for the Dail to give up the convention centre and head to the nearest school - at least they will be guaranteed no transmission within it’s magical walls and if by chance one of them does test positive ( picked up outside school obviously ) it will ensure no close contacts among the gov. Win Win really.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm calling it now that tomorrow's meeting will have some school restrictions or reduced attendance for certain students. The government nailed their flag to the mast long ago, but no way can they continue as before with schools remaining fully open. Time will tell if this post will age well.

delly wrote: »
    I'm calling it now that tomorrow's meeting will have some school restrictions or reduced attendance for certain students. The government nailed their flag to the mast long ago, but no way can they continue as before with schools remaining fully open. Time will tell if this post will age well.

I suspect reduced numbers at secondary level will mean just exam classes on the premises. Won't happen tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Does anyone think we will be going back to 5km or would they actually even consider doing that again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Only closed 7 days. The impact one way or another wouldn’t be felt yet. Rolling closures in high impact areas may need to be considered as a break if in two weeks cases and hospitalisations don’t stabilise

There seemed an uptick in clusters in schools during the last 10 days or so - would be interesting to see if this continues. Gov really should be looking at a more nuanced response with an underlying aim of keeping schools open but closing schools in areas of high community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

delly wrote: »

Get TYs to do some testing. Theres not much else they can be doing this year :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

juneg wrote: »
    Does anyone think we will be going back to 5km or would they actually even consider doing that again ?

I'd imagine that is a given. Seen some talk of possible return to 2km.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement