Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Nearly every child in post primary has a smartphone, a device that can be used for remote learning.

Similar in senior end of primary. But it is difficult to hammer out an essay on a small screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Primary is a different kettle of fish - some parents wanted the school day to be replicated over Zoom ,

Right then, they can all watch while we spend 30mins a day sorting out rubbish that happened at lunchtime, explaining the same concept for the 10th time because Mary was looking out the window, have to listen to William tell us about how mammy and sister were arguing and that's why he didn't get his homework done. At primary level so much of the day is spent on Mon curriculum stuff but it's all part of what makes being in school great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Nearly every child in post primary has a smartphone, a device that can be used for remote learning.

Not really suitable. You could bet by in an emergency but it’s not a solution. Not every parent has the finances to buy either. If schools go remote then the dept needs to dig deep into those pockets lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

khalessi wrote: »
    Similar in senior end of primary. But it is difficult to hammer out an essay on a small screen.

Do the work in a copy and take a photo of it and send it via email, not ideal for sure, but it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Not sufficient at all - trying to learn / submit work on a smartphone is not acceptable. If we are going down the remote learning route the least we can do is ensure adequate equipment for it. I wouldn’t expect any teacher to try and use a smartphone for on line teaching and learning why should children be expected to.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    You'd be talking about well north of €100m, probably multiples of that.

Approximately 1 million students give or take. A rubbish tablet is about €100. No point providing the device without the ability access the internet so they you'd also have to be paying for their internet access.

Not sufficient at all - trying to learn / submit work on a smartphone is not acceptable. If we are going down the remote learning route the least we can do is ensure adequate equipment for it. I wouldn’t expect any teacher to try and use a smartphone for on line teaching and learning why should children be expected to.

Because to be frank, the government will not help get devices for every child, they don't even have a plan in place for remote/hybrid learning.

Because to be frank, the government will not help get devices for every child, they don't even have a plan in place for remote/hybrid learning.

Still doesn’t excuse it. The objective of remote learning is to continue to provide children with an education. Smartphones are not suitable and not an answer to the issue of lack of hardware.

Still doesn’t excuse it. The objective of remote learning is to continue to provide children with an education. Smartphones are not suitable and not an answer to the issue of lack of hardware.

Smartphones may be inadequate as a learning device, but they are sure as hell better than nothing, which is exactly what the government will give.

Right then, they can all watch while we spend 30mins a day sorting out rubbish that happened at lunchtime, explaining the same concept for the 10th time because Mary was looking out the window, have to listen to William tell us about how mammy and sister were arguing and that's why he didn't get his homework done. At primary level so much of the day is spent on Mon curriculum stuff but it's all part of what makes being in school great.

and die of embarrassment when their little johnny who can do no wrong acts the bollix for the 5th time that day.

• Advertisement

Smartphones may be inadequate as a learning device, but they are sure as hell better than nothing, which is exactly what the government will give.

Not true money was provided to schools to buy equipment for those who had no access - my own child benefitted from it. We as a school also dropped laptops to children who had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I wish people would give over about remote learning. The work involved would be done and put out there by the teachers but for endless reasons the learning of the information would not be done by a great many of the children. Teachers know more than anyone what the engagement and the quality of work from the whole class was like last time round. You would be better off splitting the numbers and have children in school half the time.

Not true money was provided to schools to buy equipment for those who had no access - my own child benefitted from it. We as a school also dropped laptops to children who had none.

I wonder was that through a workaround in the SEN department somehow? I know children with additional needs can receive a laptop. I know money was allocated for building works, covid prep etc but i never knew anything was given for learning devices.
    I just can't see the department sourcing devices for every student, if anything with the 40% cutback on the cleaning supplies it looks like they are trying to stop spending.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I wish people would give over about remote learning. The work involved would be done and put out there by the teachers but for endless reasons the learning of the information would not be done by a great many of the children. Teachers know more than anyone what the engagement and the quality of work from the whole class was like last time round. You would be better off splitting the numbers and have children in school half the time.

That was raised a long time ago and was not considered by the gov as they wanted all schools open for all children at all times- the situation has now developed into schools open versus remote learning.

Mrsmum wrote: »

This was previously suggested many, many times. Dismissed out of hand by the govt who seem to have an all in or all out strategy. Nothing Inbetween has or probably will be considered.

I wonder was that through a workaround in the SEN department somehow? I know children with additional needs can receive a laptop. I know money was allocated for building works, covid prep etc but i never knew anything was given for learning devices.
    I just can't see the department sourcing devices for every student, if anything with the 40% cutback on the cleaning supplies it looks like they are trying to stop spending.

Not involved in ICT in the school so don’t know officially how the money was allocated - we were told in school it was an ICT grant. Child’s school said similar and asked anyone who had no access to lee them know. As I have more than one child and only 1 laptop I availed of the offer. Must say it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

I think we can safely say that the school are not in a position to close, and I think that the fact that they are not closing is a bit of a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Not involved in ICT in the school so don’t know officially how the money was allocated - we were told in school it was an ICT grant. Child’s school said similar and asked anyone who had no access to lee them know. As I have more than one child and only 1 laptop I availed of the offer. Must say it was great.

Our Primary School sent out a message to all Parents in September asking anyone who has difficulty accessing devices to contact them in confidence. I know devices were given out but don't know where the money came from.

We bought a second Laptop over the Summer so that each of our children would have access to one but we are fortunate that we could afford to do that.

Looking at the positive swab numbers (2867) today how can they justify opening schools as normal, it would be utter lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Looking at the positive swab numbers (2867) today how can they justify opening schools as normal, it would be utter lunacy

Was just looking at this. Not good. If they open schools with these kind of numbers, that sends a very clear message to all education staff. The
    next election will be interesting.

Should also add, the compromised version of close contacts is also in place for nurses in GP surgeries and carers in nursing homes. Heard this from a friend who's a nurse in GP practice. Seems insane. She's been answering phones all over Christmas to people who've been out mingling and now have symptoms. She said she's definitely not sending her kids back on the 6th.

• Advertisement

Well some anon minister threw out a number last week of 2500, when asked by a journo if schools would close was on RTE radio 1 pm news.. I genuinely think he threw out a random number to get journo off his back never thinking we would never reach it. Well here we are :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is that the positive cases in the last 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Schools will have been shut for 2 weeks next Tuesday. I wonder will see an effect on case numbers?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Is that the positive cases in the last 24 hours?

Yes

Ninja edit: sorry i thought you said positive swabs as opposed to cases, this is the swab results for the last 24h

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭vid36

I don't think they will announce schools closures today but I cannot see them opening with case numbers running at current levels. Expect a u turn by Monday evening.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Schools will have been shut for 2 weeks next Tuesday. I wonder will see an effect on case numbers?

Depends on who you talk to. I have been told on here it takes x weeks, be that 2 3 or 5, depending on their argument and also told, they have been closed and what does that tell you etc.

Sure who knows but the mighty turtle whose back we travel on:D

vid36 wrote: »
    I don't think they will announce schools closures today but I cannot see them opening with case numbers running at current levels. Expect a u turn by Monday evening.

You know what, i said before in sarcasm that if cases where at 5k a day they would still keep schools open as normal, i still believe they won't change a damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yes

That’s an incredible increase. How can they recommend sending children and staff back to school? Utter madness

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes

No it isn't, it's positive swabs, not cases. There's a difference.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    No it isn't, it's positive swabs, not cases. There's a difference.

Sorry i thought he said swabs, obviously different but in the same ballpark as cases

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement