Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Tippex wrote: »
    Honestly, now that they have made the decision I would be personally surprised if the schools reopen before feb.

Well, so would I, but I would expect distance/remote being in play from the 11th if they don't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Wish the government could provide us with clear guidance when it comes to childcare.
    Should the schools and creches close both my husband and I are without childcare.
    He is essential, in construction, and I'm in the public sector, in a call centre.
    I'm working from home, but there is no flexibility with hours. We both have 9 to 5 jobs.
    Honestly so upset to be facing into this again. I know it's for the greater good but no boss is going to tell you it's ok to not come to work, and I technically work for the government!
    Your just left to figure it out.

Wait until the detail is released later. It wouldn't surprise me now if we end up in a March type lockdown where pretty much everything is forced to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

C__MC wrote: »
    With mocks on horizon and project work also, schools need clarity IMO

Yep, we've 3rd year CBAs happening in January, mocks in February.

All could be set to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

kippy wrote: »
    Im not sure why you'd think that the extension of 3 days is the end of the amendments to school opening.
    The decisions will be based on case numbers and profiles. If the numbers don't stabilise, further changes will be made to the Schools opening profiles.

Of course. It's typical Irish government style of "let them ease into a Restriction and then expand on it". It's the same method they use by leaking everything before pressers. Everything about today's briefing at 6pm is already out there
    If the numbers don't stabilise, further changes will be made to the Schools opening profiles.

Do you know this as fact though?

Genuine question as you may have some inside info. There seems to be a few teachers on here who may know

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Of course. It's typical Irish government style of "let them ease into a Restriction and then expand on it". It's the same method they use by leaking everything before pressers. Everything about today's briefing at 6pm is already out there

Do you know this as fact though?

Genuine question as you may have some inside info. There seems to be a few teachers on here who may know

I think its a prudent method of doing things. Why announce four weeks of school closure/online learning when they dont have access to the relevant data needed to make that call until a few weeks from now?
    Not everything gets leaked, in fairness. But maybe it is a good way of setting expectations etc?

I don't know it as fact but I would be extremely concerned IF decisions made over the past 9 months and into the next 6 or so are based on anything but factual information, modelling and best practices, all while weighing up the various pros and cons of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just got a text from our school confirming school won’t open until 11 Jan

kippy wrote: »
    I think its a prudent method of doing things. Why announce four weeks of school closure/online learning when they dont have access to the relevant data needed to make that call until a few weeks from now?

I hear you but they have RO modelling and the positivity rate for starters. Both can tell them pretty accurately where this will be in 2 weeks

Anyway, here's hoping they at least move Secondary schools to online learning for awhile

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just got a text from our school confirming school won’t open until 11 Jan

Before it's even officially announced.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I hear you but they have RO modelling and the positivity rate for starters. Both can tell them pretty accurately where this will be in 2 weeks

Anyway, here's hoping they at least move Secondary schools to online learning for awhile

Neither of those variables take into account the effect of various restrictions or adherence to same however, there's also a lag involved and indeed the variable incubation period involved - so they don't know where things will be in 2 weeks, just where the will be if everything stays as it is right now, which is what they are about to change in the next hour or so.

Again though, I would be prepared for online only and/or prioritisation of certain classes in school buildings from the 11th onwards for a few weeks, simply based on the fact that we are heading for 2000 cases per day at the weekend and all of the variables associated with that number and the knock on effect of same.

Everything has been leaked to Newstalk and other outlets since 5pm onwards

I can't remember any previous government using the media to "soften the blow" of serious announcements like this, but I'm open to correction

It comes across as very cowardly

• Advertisement

I’d imagine if the schools have sent that message they have received word that it’s happening

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

And it could well be remote learning
    Maybe schools have been notified already
    LOL
    Who am I kidding . The dept will prob release a circular about the days off after we go back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I see a few prison guards from wheatfield prison have tested positive and now all the staff and inmates will be tested.

Funny, a bunch of paedophiles, robbers and utter dredges of society get tested, yet is someone tests positive in our children's schools they don't do the same

I have to admit, there's something about that, that doesn't sit well with me

I’d imagine if the schools have sent that message they have received word that it’s happening

What was the exact text you were sent?

Our principal just emailed us all and said that they don't know what the story is with next week other than we won't be in the school building. Doesn't know whether we will be online or if the days are to be made up or just forgotten about. No one knows.

I see a few prison guards from wheatfield prison have tested positive and now all the staff and inmates will be tested.

Funny, a bunch of paedophiles, robbers and utter dredges of society get tested, yet is someone tests positive in our children's schools they don't do the same

The real story of the Schools Covid coverup will be the biggest scandal to come out of all this

Not now though. Of course not

In about 2 years when the truth will be useless

Our principal just emailed us all and said that they don't know what the story is with next week other than we won't be in the school building. Doesn't know whether we will be online or if the days are to be made up or just forgotten about. No one knows.

Exact text

Hi. As per news announcement school will not reopen until 11 January 2020. Stay safe everyone and happy new year. Principal name

If you think schools have been notified then you are very naive. Sure back on the 12th of March, Leo made his announcement and schools were only officially notified what was going on at 1:15pm. Leo's speech was at 10:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

km79 wrote: »
    And it could well be remote learning
    Maybe schools have been notified already
    LOL
    Who am I kidding . The dept will prob release a circular about the days off after we go back

Friday @17.00 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Tbf though they know the children won’t be in the building - INTO asked for a 3 day extension with the days to be made up I presume that’s what it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Wait until the detail is released later. It wouldn't surprise me now if we end up in a March type lockdown where pretty much everything is forced to close.

Ya. Only thing is, back in March, we were closed but I'd say that was partially down to no one been set up to work from home.
    We were given alternative, flexible work, which I completed in the evening.
    I'd be surprised if the call centre closed now.
    Not when we are all set up from home.
    We're now also involved in some covid schemes.
    There were times in the last few months where I was stuck with childcare due to covid and your basically told "you'll work something out". It's impossible, and so stressful, with a toddler running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Definitely to do with liability.

It will take families of children and staff who have been badly affected by this getting together, sadly, after the fact, and suing the state, before any justice whatsoever will be done for the masses of people exposed to covid in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yep, we've 3rd year CBAs happening in January, mocks in February.

All could be set to change.

They should cut content at this stage and cancel CBA, maybe even scrap the mocks. Hopefully the exams in the summer could still go ahead, even with a few weeks closures now.

If you think schools have been notified then you are very naive. Sure back on the 12th of March, Leo made his announcement and schools were only officially notified what was going on at 1:15pm. Leo's speech was at 10:30am.

Right well I’m just reporting the text I got. RTÉ news just confirmed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

RTE reporting school holidays extended to Jan 11th which indicates schools closed no remote learning days to be made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Schools are getting their information from the media, like everyone else. There has been no notification from the DES. While the school will be shown to be correct they have jumped the gun.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    RTE reporting school holidays extended to Jan 11th which indicates schools closed no remote learning days to be made up.

Mehole indicating that it won't go further than the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Phew!! Taoiseach just announced schools are safe. I was a bit worried there for a minute ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Phew!! Taoiseach just announced schools are safe. I was a bit worried there for a minute ...

In fairness this is the same fella who said there was no bail out a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement