Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Mehole indicating that it won't go further than the 11th.

Why bother closing to the 11th if their sure schools are safe and we'll be back on the 11th :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Everything has been leaked to Newstalk and other outlets since 5pm onwards

I can't remember any previous government using the media to "soften the blow" of serious announcements like this, but I'm open to correction

It comes across as very cowardly

It's always been that way. Budgets are leaked every year for decades. When has there ever been a government announcement that wasn't very well flagged? Happens in the UK too, we always know what Boris is going to say before he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Why bother closing to the 11th if their sure schools are safe and we'll be back on the 11th :rolleyes:

Cos they arent sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Despite what Mehole is saying it is very much a holding pattern. This buys the DES a week to put together a plan which I think will end up with just exam classes returning to the building and the rest going online.
    For primary I expect we'll all be back but might have a week or two of online from the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

because "The restrictions will be in for 10 days at that point which means it'll all be 100% safe again!"

With this new strain? Give me a break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Despite what Mehole is saying it is very much a holding pattern. This buys the DES a week to put together a plan which I think will end up with just exam classes returning to the building and the rest going online.
    For primary I expect we'll all be back but might have a week or two of online from the 11th.

I agree - a holding pattern. If things are much worse by Friday 8th, there will be another announcement.

I remember back in March when the announcement said 2 weeks of school closures, I really thought that it would be longer (not as long as it ended up though) and other Parents really believed that the Kids would all be back before Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

So schools are safe 😂 🀦*♀️

Look the extra time will hopefully mean parents and families who gave us all 2 fingers over the Xmas by doing as they pleased will now lie low and keep their kids close to home. Reducing transmission in the community. That’s all we can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭kippy

TTLF wrote: »
    because "The restrictions will be in for 10 days at that point which means it'll all be 100% safe again!"

With this new strain? Give me a break

I dunno what the issue is to be honest...if numbers dictate the situation will change one way or another.
    Schools or indeed anywhere aren't 100 percent safe in any instance.....it's levels of safety with various risk management steps in place.

This is painful stuff for everyone, no doubt, but completely necessary given the variables involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Our staff WhatsApp on fire. A majority not expecting to be back in school before Easter.

The same teachers who did nothing March-June already saying they won’t be doing any online teaching. Others giving the same excuses of having poor broadband, GDPR and not wanting their faces online, no training etc.

This will be an absolute shh1tshow.

Of course it's a holding pattern.....but he cannot say that.....he literally cannot win and cannot please everyone.

• Advertisement

Our staff WhatsApp on fire. A majority not expecting to be back in school before Easter.

The same teachers who did nothing March-June already saying they won’t be doing any online teaching. Others giving the same excuses of having poor broadband, GDPR and not wanting their faces online, no training etc.

This is a failure of the department, unions, schools and the individuals themselves in general if this is the attitude that is displayed however I would hope that if things do go online the vast majority of teachers will have no issues with it, as was the case last time.

kippy wrote: »
    This is a failure of the department, unions, schools and the individuals themselves in general if this is the attitude that is displayed however I would hope that if things do go online the vast majority of teachers will have no issues with it, as was the case last time.

How do you know the “vast majority of teachers” went online with no issues last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Why is it always just you saying this ****?

Either you are lying or in an awful school. I can't imagine teachers in my school saying they can't be bothered with online teaching.

alroley wrote: »

Either you are lying or in an awful school. I can't imagine teachers in my school saying they can't be bothered with online teaching.

It’s not just me saying this. Take a look back over the various threads since March ... plenty of teachers and parents are saying the exact same thing.

This is the attitude in plenty of schools and teachers know this (if they are being honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

TTLF wrote: »
    Can't do that as it has to be a Rivers study for some reason
    Doesn't matter though, it's out of my hands.

No it doesn't have to be, look up the syllabus. If your teacher is telling you this they are wrong.

kippy wrote: »

Wonder will the poster who posted that also do what they did previously, absolutely nothing and then boasted on here about it. When called out on it they blamed others.

No teacher has any excuse with regards to doing online if needed. We've all had time to get prepared and put the best foot forward if it is required.

The principal in that school needs to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dude, are you forgetting just how incompetent and out of touch the DES is?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Ah jaysus, will you give it a fupping rest, back with all this nonsense again. We get it, you're in a terriblea terrible school where all the people are terrible in it except yourself of course! We get it but that's your school and your school only, not all schools are like yours.

alroley wrote: »

I just knew that poster would be on with stories about the staff in their school. No fear they would tell the story about how they freely admitted to not doing their job back during lockdown one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

joe40 wrote: »
    They should cut content at this stage and cancel CBA, maybe even scrap the mocks. Hopefully the exams in the summer could still go ahead, even with a few weeks closures now.

Doubt JC will go ahead anyway.

LC prob will and use spaces freed by no JC and extra invigilators

• Advertisement

Honestly just ignore, next everyone will be accused of being bullies. Let us not let people turn this thread into a **** storm.

Wonder will the poster who posted that also do what they did previously, absolutely nothing and then boasted on here about it. When called out on it they blamed others.

No teacher has any excuse with regards to doing online if needed. We've all had time to get prepared and put the best foot forward if it is required.

The principal in that school needs to grow a pair.

I’ll be doing my best with extremely limited resources, no DES guidance, no support from key senior staff, and outright opposition from some colleagues.

One WhatsApp message to our staff group was as follows (I’m paraphrasing) ... why should I bother doing anything online when it’ll create a huge amount extra work and I’ll get no extra pay or thanks ... and it might get me trouble with students using my face in ways that I can’t control.

khalessi wrote: »
    Honestly just ignore, next everyone will be accused of being bullies. Let us not let people turn this thread into a **** storm.

I don't see anything they post unless someone quotes it. The ignore button is great.

Our school as a whole made a decent fist of it the last time. If we end up online this time I fully expect it will be short and sharp.

It’s not just me saying this. Take a look back over the various threads since March ... plenty of teachers and parents are saying the exact same thing.

This is the attitude in plenty of schools and teachers know this (if they are being honest).

You only know what is going on in the school in your orbit so please stop purporting to know what goes on in all schools and what goes on in all teachers heads.

JP100 wrote: »
    You only know what is going on in the school in your orbit so please stop purporting to know what goes on in all schools and what goes on in all teachers heads.

Same as all the other teachers on here so, correct?

EDIT - and I know a tiny fraction of teachers are on boards and even less in this discussion. And the ones on here are likely to be more technically proficient and so likely to be better at the online teaching. There are many, many teachers who will not do online for many reasons. If we deny that we do the profession no favours

Our school as a whole made a decent fist of it the last time. If we end up online this time I fully expect it will be short and sharp.

Exactly,

I don't see anything they post unless someone quotes it. The ignore button is great.

Same with us. I gues some people feel guitly about that.

Same as all the other teachers on here so, correct?

Yes but unlike you I don't purport to speak for all schools or all teachers. And at that I'll leave it folks, no point in engaging in this discussion further, this thread has been derailed with this already enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

jrosen wrote: »
    So schools are safe 😂 🀦*♀️

Look the extra time will hopefully mean parents and families who gave us all 2 fingers over the Xmas by doing as they pleased will now lie low and keep their kids close to home. Reducing transmission in the community. That’s all we can hope for.

Agh you got the memo 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

JP100 wrote: »
    Yes but unlike you I don't purport to speak for all schools or all teachers. And at that I'll leave it folks, no point in engaging in this discussion further, this thread has been derailed with this already enough.

Genuinely the ignore button is a great feature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement