Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

JP100 wrote: »
    Yes but unlike you I don't purport to speak for all schools or all teachers. And at that I'll leave it folks, no point in engaging in this discussion further, this thread has been derailed with this already enough.

If you (or anyone else) can show where I said I speak for all teachers I’ll delete my Boards account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

even a physical return to schools the 11th is looking unlikely at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

combat14 wrote: »
    even a physical return to schools the 11th is looking unlikely at this stage

Well the numbers in London have gone mad, so hopefully this will prevent us going that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Agh you got the memo 😀

Not the memo on emojis going loopy lol

khalessi wrote: »
    Well the numbers in London have gone mad, so hopefully this will prevent us going that way.

I spoke with a client last week who’s daughter lives in London and she said the nursery pods were falling apart and it was all going so very wrong. Her point was we were not far behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

jrosen wrote: »
    Not the memo on emojis going loopy lol

Didn’t manage to get that one either 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sure I suspect many students will need materials ahead of online learning if it rolls that way
    Likewise teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I spoke with a client last week who’s daughter lives in London and she said the nursery pods were falling apart and it was all going so very wrong. Her point was we were not far behind

Yeah heard same re hospitals from friends working there and also online sites. Total ****show was one remark. Hope we dont get that far.

khalessi wrote: »
    Yeah heard same re hospitals from friends working there and also online sites. Total ****show was one remark. Hope we dont get that far.

Fingers crossed. It’s very concerning. The long term impacts on health is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

They could nearly try to get the vaccines to 6th years before June so that they can do their leaving cert. No point having the same uncertainty as last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Doubt JC will go ahead anyway.

LC prob will and use spaces freed by no JC and extra invigilators

I hope there is some sort of standardised assessment for JC and LC. Teacher assessment with the dept alogoritms just does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Fingers crossed. It’s very concerning. The long term impacts on health is huge

As well as the much shorter term impact of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Our staff WhatsApp on fire. A majority not expecting to be back in school before Easter.

The same teachers who did nothing March-June already saying they won’t be doing any online teaching. Others giving the same excuses of having poor broadband, GDPR and not wanting their faces online, no training etc.

This will be an absolute shh1tshow.

You teach in an awful school. Some of my colleagues are already adapting their Jan lessons to suit an online format. I'm not doing it now personally, but will start to reformat some of my stuff from 06th Jan. I teach in a large school and - like any school - it is not without its slackers, but nobody would come out with the tripe above.

Also, a staff Whatsapp group, yet they're worried about GDPR :rolleyes: As Bart Simpson once said, the ironing is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Can anyone clarify if preschool services will be open next week? I have read that they will be. I work in one and am quite concerned that we are being thrown to the lions.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    You teach in an awful school. Some of my colleagues are already adapting their Jan lessons to suit an online format. I'm not doing it now personally, but will start to reformat some of my stuff from 06th Jan. I teach in a large school and - like any school - it is not without its slackers, but nobody would come out with the tripe above.

Also, a staff Whatsapp group, yet they're worried about GDPR :rolleyes: As Bart Simpson once said, the ironing is delicious!

I was thinking the same about people posting things like that on a WhatsApp group. Are we not constantly telling kids to be careful on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

joe40 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same about people posting things like that on a WhatsApp group. Are we not constantly telling kids to be careful on social media.

The ironic thing is that they can use WhatsApp but claim they cannot use something as simple at Google classroom. I'm beginning to call BS on this whole story we've been fed since March. Think it could be the best trolling any of us have ever been exposed to.

Bananaleaf wrote: »

With the greatest respect I don’t think you have a very good understanding of GDPR! Perhaps you should brush up before commenting in future.

joe40 wrote: »

GAA and LGFA advise against clubs using WhatsApp as it doesn't conform to GDPR requirements.

You can just imagine some staff in that school sending screenshots from the chat into other groups going look at these wasters.

As I’ve said before, teachers can attack me and call me a troll, liar etc ... but it is a fact that some teachers will not do online teaching. It is also a fact that no sanction can be brought against these teachers.

Teachers denying this is, frankly, pathetic. It also looks very bad to the parents/students who know this is going on.

Our staff WhatsApp on fire. A majority not expecting to be back in school before Easter.

The same teachers who did nothing March-June already saying they won’t be doing any online teaching. Others giving the same excuses of having poor broadband, GDPR and not wanting their faces online, no training etc.

This will be an absolute shh1tshow.

While work WhatsApp groups can sometimes end up with unprofessional and questionable comments, I am struggling to believe this

• Advertisement

With the greatest respect I don’t think the teachers commenting above have a very good understanding of GDPR! Perhaps you should all brush up before commenting in future.

You are very naive if you think that everything being said in that group is staying in that group.

GAA and LGFA advise against clubs using WhatsApp as it doesn't conform to GDPR requirements.

You can just imagine some staff in that school sending screenshots from the chat into other groups going look at these wasters.

My personal approach is never send anything as any type of written communication, that I would not be able to post on a public notice board.
    How many people at this stage have been caught out on WhatsApp groups.
    Anyway different topic and I have no idea what teachers post, but I would personally err on side of caution.

With the greatest respect I don’t think the teachers commenting above have a very good understanding of GDPR! Perhaps you should all brush up before commenting in future.

Haven't looked at any of the schools threads here since April but surprise surprise, you're back on here slating your colleagues, having as much as admitted that you didn't do a stroke yourself during the first lockdown, while blaming them for it. Wow! You'd think you'd keep the head down after that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I am not sure I will be showing my face on camera this time around just give information with camera off, a share screen etc. I wonder really how much benefit live classes are to students. surely notes and questions are grand

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I am not sure I will be showing my face on camera this time around just give information with camera off, a share screen etc. I wonder really how much benefit live classes are to students. surely notes and questions are grand

I think that if you don't want to show your face that is absolutely fine.

I do think you should be available in some kind of live format though, in case they have questions about stuff.

I twice had an issue with students sharing stuff during the last period. Two phones ensued, one parents accepted what happened and it was finished, the other one disputed it and tried to cause an almighty fuss. Adopted the deny, deny, deny approach and when that backfired blamed others for what her child had done.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Due to start my final block of TP now on the 11th until April. Along with the usual nerves around placement time, I really feel so apprehensive about placement this year. We are due to get clarification on the 4th whether tutors/placement inspectors are going to be allowed to come in and watch us teach. I just hope by September when I hopefully start my first job things will be somewhat normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,888 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

C__MC wrote: »
    Sure I suspect many students will need materials ahead of online learning if it rolls that way
    Likewise teachers.

Smart teachers sent materials home before Christmas.

I kinda feel the same. Putting yourself online is big deal.
    I have no problem with posting work and marking. Also online text conversation. But actual video of me teaching a lesson, I'm just not terribly comfortable with.

• Advertisement

Haven't looked at any of the schools threads here since April but surprise surprise, you're back on here slating your colleagues, having as much as admitted that you didn't do a stroke yourself during the first lockdown, while blaming them for it. Wow! You'd think you'd keep the head down after that to be honest.

I’m not slating colleagues or any teacher on here.

I am simply saying that there are teachers that I personally know of (both in my school and other schools) that will not be teaching online for a variety of reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement