Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Due to start my final block of TP now on the 11th until April. Along with the usual nerves around placement time, I really feel so apprehensive about placement this year. We are due to get clarification on the 4th whether tutors/placement inspectors are going to be allowed to come in and watch us teach. I just hope by September when I hopefully start my first job things will be somewhat normal!

Don't stress take it one day at a time. And I am sure if you have any questions, the staff will be happy to help or you can contact us here.
    Follow handwashing and mask wearing and you will be ok
    Is it primary or seconday?
    Real teaching nothing like the torture of tp.
    Each school has a lead worker rep so contact them for other covid protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I think that if you don't want to show your face that is absolutely fine.

I do think you should be available in some kind of live format though, in case they have questions about stuff.

Most of our son's Teachers (Secondary) didn't have their faces online last time - only voices and some Slides like a PowerPoint with a voiceover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

lulublue22 wrote: »
    We were explicitly told not too as we did not know what was happening and it was unfair to stress parents out by indicating schools were closing when the gov were insisting they would stay open.

We were told to send home a book or two. I chose not to as I didn't see the point. Either send them all home ( which we were explicitly told not to) or send none home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

We were told to send home a book or two. I chose not to as I didn't see the point. Either send them all home ( which we were explicitly told not to) or send none home.

I can see the BOM point - there was no indication we were closing and it could have potentially caused stress for parents depending on their circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

khalessi wrote: »
    Don't stress take it one day at a time. And I am sure if you have any questions, the staff will be happy to help or you can contact us here.
    Follow handwashing and mask wearing and you will be ok
    Is it primary or seconday?
    Real teaching nothing like the torture of tp.
    Each school has a lead worker rep so contact them for other covid protocols

Thank you, its second level. I have heard that alright, that tp is the worst of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

joe40 wrote: »
    I kinda feel the same. Putting yourself online is big deal.
    I have no problem with posting work and marking. Also online text conversation. But actual video of me teaching a lesson, I'm just not terribly comfortable with.

I don’t know many putting themselves up there. Most people are doing voice overs. For music I screen record with loom while presenting my slides. For maths teacher so I use screen record on the iPad with an Apple Pencil to write as I talk. Note if you use the screen record function make sure you reduce the video quality or use YouTube or something to encode it or it will absolutely eat your students data allowance

ETA: we widely surveyed our students (second level). The vast majority wanted this format and not all live classes. When I questioned my classes further many of our seniors were holding the house together with childcare and extra responsibilities at home. They couldn’t do the school timetable properly because there was so much else going on. The favourite option was prerecorded/set work, with one check in a week and email/classroom commenting in between

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Due to start my final block of TP now on the 11th until April. Along with the usual nerves around placement time, I really feel so apprehensive about placement this year. We are due to get clarification on the 4th whether tutors/placement inspectors are going to be allowed to come in and watch us teach. I just hope by September when I hopefully start my first job things will be somewhat normal!

I’m second level. Pop a pm if you like

I’m not slating colleagues or any teacher on here.

I am simply saying that there are teachers that I personally know of (both in my school and other schools) that will not be teaching online for a variety of reasons.

Maybe focus on getting your own house in order this time instead of worrying about what others are up to.

Smart teachers sent materials home before Christmas.

I did it over the Halloween break and am absolutely kicking myself now that I didn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

joe40 wrote: »
    I kinda feel the same. Putting yourself online is big deal.
    I have no problem with posting work and marking. Also online text conversation. But actual video of me teaching a lesson, I'm just not terribly comfortable with.

I don't think you need to do this if you are that uncomfortable with it. You can still be there, live and speaking with them, with your camera off or while sharing a powerpoint.

I was very uncomfortable with showing myself online at first, but if there is one thing we can thank Snapchat and TikTok for, it's the fact that the kids couldn't give a flying F* about it. It is so normal to them, sure they are practically live streaming themselves every day of their life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

I’m not slating colleagues or any teacher on here.

I am simply saying that there are teachers that I personally know of (both in my school and other schools) that will not be teaching online for a variety of reasons.
    537688.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Smart teachers sent materials home before Christmas.
    Primary certainly did , in a lot of cases .

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Maybe focus on getting your own house in order this time instead of worrying about what others are up to.

I think we should be concerned with how schools operate and whether or not teachers will teach online if schools close for an extended period of time. This is what the tread is about.

Do you not think this is a valid concern? Especially if some teachers are reluctant to teach online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I think we should be concerned with how schools operate and whether or not teachers will teach online if schools close for an extended period of time. This is what the tread is about.

Do you not think this is a valid concern? Especially if some teachers are reluctant to teach online?

So why are you reluctant to teach online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Cud someone send me a msg as to how you block people? Is it possible to do on the fone?

Some of the stuff my colleagues are saying:

It involves a Lot more work
    No guidance or support from school
    No guidance or support from DES
    If things go wrong it’ll come back on me personally
    GDPR concerns
    Limited availability to technology and broadband
    Lack of training on technology
    Lack of training in pedagogy of online teaching

And some are just lazy and will look on school closure as an extended holiday. Nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - can be done if any teacher refuses to teach online. The union have confirmed this.

There are other reasons but these are probably the main ones.

Same nonsense as the last time. All this concern about what others are up to based on your own tiny sample, and all these anecdotes about others to normalise your own 'efforts'.

I hope you've managed to get your own sh1t together in the eight months since April and will be ready to go if schools are closed beyond the initial three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Local school advised and sent all books home before Xmas.
    I know I said it was something the schools were told to do earlier in this thread but I cannot find anything of this nature so it looks like a local decision made by the principal/teachers who could see what was coming.
    Don't think it "spooked" any parents - why would it? Pretty dilligent thing to do.

GDPR concerns

And some are just lazy and will look on school closure as an extended holiday. Nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - can be done if any teacher refuses to teach online. The union have confirmed this.

What's your excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GDPR concerns

Look, I am sure there are SOME teachers like that - there have to be. But it is unfortunate there are some many in your school.
    Most of the excuses above are just that, excuses. It's just a pity those teachers won't be brought to task for their inaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I will be amazed if they answer this. They'll probably give some answer about others but not about why they personally chose not to teach online the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Dave0301

GDPR concerns

If you spent as much time and effort on upskilling your colleagues and sharing best practice as you do slating them online it might benefit the pupils at your school.

Every profession has people that will do as little as possible, including teaching. Your anecdotal ranting is not representative of the profession as a whole.

GDPR concerns

I didn't ask about your colleagues, I asked about you. You failed your students previously. Why?

I didn't ask about your colleagues, I asked about you. You failed your students previously. Why?

I’ll answer this as soon as the other teachers on this thread answer the questions I’ve asked them.

Or is it just me who is required to answer questions?

Dave0301 wrote: »
    If you spent as much time and effort on upskilling your colleagues and sharing best practice as you do slating them online it might benefit the pupils at your school.

Every profession has people that will do as little as possible, including teaching. Your anecdotal ranting is not representative of the profession as a whole.

I slogged my guts out with a newborn baby and a toddler at home during the first lockdown, and her nonsense pisses me off as well as doing a huge disservice to the great work done by my colleagues.

Dave0301 wrote: »

It’s not my job to upskill my colleagues.

And I’m not slating anyone. I’m just saying what is happening.

People (particularly parents) can judge how much of a raw nerve I’ve hit by reading through the responses I’m getting from the teachers on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1...58761648?s=19
    This is our first case of transmission of a virus in a school in the last week.
    — RTÉ News (@rtenewews) August 28, 2020

It’s not my job to upskill my colleagues.

And I’m not slating anyone. I’m just saying what is happening.

People (particularly parents) can judge how much of a raw nerve I’ve hit by reading through the responses I’m getting from the teachers on this thread.

Like playing handball off a haystack...what you are doing is fairly disgusting. It'd be easier to accept if you were a troll just pretending to be a teacher.

I’ll answer this as soon as the other teachers on this thread answer the questions I’ve asked them.

Or is it just me who is required to answer questions?

You are the only teacher on the thread who has stated that you opted out of teaching your students. Your efforts to deflect are fooling nobody. Why did you fail your students? Will it be different if you are required to teach online this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

GDPR concerns

I and my colleagues share a lot of the concerns you listed. It doesnt mean we won't engage with online teaching though. It is absolutely true for example that the Dept gave no guidance or support. There's nothing wrong with pointing out issues as long as people do their best to their job to the best of their ability. Are you misunderstanding frustrated moaning and interpreting it as a refusal to work rather than seeing it as people venting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement