Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Whose is it so? Govt decide at the end of the day and she is a cabinet minister so yes she is part of the group who make the call.

I think Nphet, Micheal, Leo and Stephen all outrank her when it comes to this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

vid36 wrote: »
    I think Nphet, Micheal, Leo and Stephen all outrank her when it comes to this decision.

NPHET are ignored when it suits them. Tony very clear that the extra holidays weren't suggested by them. Confirmed by Norma this afternoon.

The NPHET and Govt link is broken since Leo's primetime outburst.

Also think Stephen is totally over his head as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

NPHET are ignored when it suits them. Tony very clear that the extra holidays weren't suggested by them. Confirmed by Norma this afternoon.

The NPHET and Govt link is broken since Leo's primetime outburst.

Also think Stephen is totally over his head as well.

Interesting re NPHET and schools - didn’t hear that . Any idea what NPHET’s stance is ?

ETA Stephen lost all credibility in my eyes when he started rambling on about trampolines.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Interesting re NPHET and schools - didn’t hear that . Any idea what NPHET’s stance is ?

Just heard a bit on the radio earlier which said that Tony made it clear that the rise in numbers was down to the lifting of restrictions which they disagreed with and also that they hadn't recommended schools be given longer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ETA Stephen lost all credibility in my eyes when he started rambling on about trampolines.

NPHET's stance on schools is what it has always been.

Schools are a location of moderate risk which the government has instructed us to place on the level of super markets and non covid healthcare. The recommendations we make are in the context of these key areas having to be kept open. If we do not take these steps we not be able to keep these open.

If you actually read the letters to government there's always something like that burried in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Interesting wonder if it is available online anywhere

https://twitter.com/oliveblogs/status/1344623550582370305

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Id imagine the silence by nphet on schools is down to the fact they want absolutely no blame with regards keeping them open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I’m just so angry today. People are idiots. I can not believe the amount of people I am seeing on social media still mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

jrosen wrote: »
    I’m just so angry today. People are idiots. I can not believe the amount of people I am seeing on social media still mixing.

Frustrating but government missed huge chance last summer to suppress virus when people were on side

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I went for our weekly grocery shop this morning . On my own .
    First thing I met at the door was a mother , her teenage daughter and two younger siblings (around 8/9 year olds )
    Even is she is a single mum the teenage daughter could easily watch the two siblings and reduce the number of people in store , the risk etc

Everything in shops has fallen apart in that regard imo and it’s a huge problem
    We can all do our bit . A lot of stupid decisions being made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Who was the poster who said the teachers wud deliberately ignore restrictions and get schools to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Who was the poster who said the teachers wud deliberately ignore restrictions and get schools to close?

Definitely a bitter person or a troll. More chance teenagers would think this way than adults

I'm just really curious how we would manage this:confused::confused: Bizarre!

That sounds like Doctor Ciara would just put out there and let it mushroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I think I’ve had the night to digest and even though I knew it was coming it’s still awful.

My kids are devastated overall. My youngest would play alone in the garden to be outside but the teen, he wants/ needs his friends. No sport for him either which is such a huge part of his life and yes I know there are worse things but to him in his world it’s a lot.

I’m angry at the people who continue to be selfish, angry at people who refuse to recognize their one behavior. Rant over

I just hope whatever way school returns it’s something that works for my kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Think we all want to get back. Hopefully we'll open on Jan 11 and people will be safe.

I think I’ve had the night to digest and even though I knew it was coming it’s still awful.

My kids are devastated overall. My youngest would play alone in the garden to be outside but the teen, he wants/ needs his friends. No sport for him either which is such a huge part of his life and yes I know there are worse things but to him in his world it’s a lot.

I’m angry at the people who continue to be selfish, angry at people who refuse to recognize their one behavior. Rant over

Not sure if it’s a goer for your teen but mine used to use zoom - they’d all log on at the same time play a bit of music have a chat and a bit of craic. Worked well for them. Might be an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The big question, for me, is if it is even possible to get the R number of this new variant below 1 with schools open in their present form. Research from the UK indicates that the suite of lockdown measures used in November, which included schools being open, were not sufficient to bring R below 1 in areas where the variant was present. If the variant becomes or has become dominant here, the decision may be made for the government and schools will have to either move to split classes or stay closed until we move into a more advanced stage of the vaccination programme

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

NPHET's stance on schools is what it has always been.

Schools are a location of moderate risk which the government has instructed us to place on the level of super markets and non covid healthcare. The recommendations we make are in the context of these key areas having to be kept open. If we do not take these steps we not be able to keep these open.

If you actually read the letters to government there's always something like that burried in there.

NPETs riding instructions include keeping schools open. They dont have a choice to admit theyre risky and big indirect threat to the families the children go home to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

glack wrote: »
    Fair, schools should have chosen their platform and should have been using it since September as instructed. This is not something schools should be waiting for the Department on - no excuse for this at all!

Personally I have completed a serious amount of hours of voluntary PD to make sure I’m as informed as possible. And I was fairly confident anyway!

But again, you can’t compare an office environment to a classroom. I give training courses to teachers. I’ve done several over Zoom. This works brilliantly. Try doing similar with children and it is insanely difficult. I have the skills. But they don’t! When in the classroom I can help and support them like I do with everything else. When they are at home it becomes an impossible task.
    Remember, so many of our students read at a very basic level and so many have parents where English is a major challenge (approx 50% of my current class). It’s not straightforward.
    Agreed, you cannot compare an office environment to a class room or indeed a primary school to an office. There are major differences and challenges between both.
    However, that doesn't mean people should be allowed throw their hands up in the air and fling out a load of excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

frank8211 wrote: »
    NPETs riding instructions include keeping schools open. They dont have a choice to admit theyre risky and big indirect threat to the families the children go home to

Schools are a relatively safe place to be when the virus is not circulating so much within the community. There are safeguards in place that can limit the spread. However when cases are where they are at now - shools are not as safe as they were prior to case numbers exploding.
    Adults are the problem. Not the kids - just remember that.

kippy wrote: »
    Schools are a relatively safe place to be when the virus is not circulating so much within the community. There are safeguards in place that can limit the spread. However when cases are where they are at now - shools are not as safe as they were prior to case numbers exploding.

How can you say that with any certainty ? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information around children and covid. It seems that they are not as affected by covid as adults but consensus seems to be that they can and do spread. There has been indications that children can spread it even if asymptomatic. If and it is still an if - this new strain is bt 40 - 70 % more transmissible than previously and becomes the dominant strain then how can schools be considered safe and children not vectors ?

kippy wrote: »

Children have always been able to spread this virus as ably as adults though do not become as ill. Also with the new strain present now it is 50-70% more infectious to children and effects children of primary age.

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1343935068327325696

https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1344655484813414402

Issues in Hamburg schools similar to here
    https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1343611613182451712

Also our lovely taoiseach when he was speaking to the nation the other night said schools are safe, paused and then continued with "for our children."

They know children spread it and it is not safe for adults. Yet schools will reopen next week and masks will not be recommended for primary school years despite being a WHO recommendation since August. Schools are also a workplace and deserve to be safe under health and safety law.

Although twitter links, they do link to the medical papers directly
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/mrc-gida/2020-12-31-COVID19-Report-42-Preprint-VOC.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How can you say that with any certainty ? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information around children and covid. It seems that they are not as affected by covid as adults but consensus seems to be that they can and do spread. There has been indications that children can spread it even if asymptomatic. If and it is still an if - this new strain is bt 40 - 70 % more transmissible than previously and becomes the dominant strain then how can schools be considered safe and children not vectors ?

Consensus is that schools are a relatively safe environment so long as the responsible adults follow the rules.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Consensus is that schools are a relatively safe environment so long as the responsible adults follow the rules.

Consensus by who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Those pesky teachers, deliberately putting their own health at risk.

We’ve been down this road with yourself a few pages back - you were unable to link to a source to back up your claims then. I seriously doubt you are able now. I’ve no interest in engaging with the level of rubbish you spout.

I am interested in Kippy’s answer though as he seems to be a reasonable poster and I would be interested in his perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

4363 positive swabs in the last 24 hours, 16% positivity rate. Remote learning on the way.

khalessi wrote: »
    Consensus by who exactly?

Bear and Beatrice on twitter.

• Advertisement

vid36 wrote: »
    4000 positive swabs in the last 24 hours, 16% positivity rate. Remote learning on the way.

Yeah, see they are talking about 3000 plus cases today!!!!:eek::eek::eek: This is mental!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement