Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

khalessi wrote: »
    Yeah, see they are talking about 3000 plus cases today!!!!:eek::eek::eek: This is mental!

We did fantastic in the second wave, a complete outlier, looks like we are joining the situation in the rest of Europe now. Surely schools won't be open on the 11th if this continues

• Registered Users Posts: 18,558 ✭✭✭✭kippy

khalessi wrote: »
    Yeah, see they are talking about 3000 plus cases today!!!!:eek::eek::eek: This is mental!

I am shocked that people havent seen this coming........(There may not be that many cases today but we are heading for 2000 per day in the next few days)
    If casese don't start to go down in the next ten days or so our hospitals are in serious bother.
    Schools are the least of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Latest NPHET letter says current restrictions may not be enough to get things under control.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    We’ve been down this road with yourself a few pages back - you were unable to link to a source to back up your claims then. I seriously doubt you are able now. I’ve no interest in engaging with the level of rubbish you spout.

I am interested in Kippy’s answer though as he seems to be a reasonable poster and I would be interested in his perspective.

You'd have to be an idiot to think that:
    1. Kids cannot get the virus.
    2. Kids cannot spread the virus.

All of the evidence suggest otherwise.
    HOWEVER
    There are safeguards in place that ARE effective ASSUMING the spread of the virus is not out of control in the community (as it is now and probably will be for the next week or two)
    I do believe that secondary schools are a higher risk for numerous reasons, but again, dependant on spread within the community.
    Keeping schools closed/remote while we have cases in the 1000+ per day range is not a bad thing until things come back under control.

I think 1000 cases per day is the point at which testing and tracing becomes pretty much pointless and if this is the case that last thing you want is schools open.

There's very little "evidence" behind some of the general decisions being made globally but logic has to be followed in the absense of it.
    If the "new" strain is as different as they say it is then the status of schools will need to be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

kippy wrote: »
    I am shocked that people havent seen this coming........(There may not be that many cases today but we are heading for 2000 per day in the next few days)
    If casese don't start to go down in the next ten days or so our hospitals are in serious bother.

Saw it coming still mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But they're still part of the problem if they reopen amid thousands of cases per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

NPHET just confirmed they’ve completely lost control. They can’t confirm the cases fast enough and there’s over 4K of a backlog already. Close contacts 14 day isolation no test because they’re overwhelmed. schools won’t function with that. Most teachers I know were back on day 8 after the second test. There won’t be enough cover

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Why are they not closing the early years settings- if the schools are not safe then it is difficult to believe that a serious error is not being made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1231/1187136-nphet-letter-covid/

how are we going to safely open schools on 11th jan with cases projected to be between at least 2000-3000 per day in the wider community

time to dust off that remote learning plan the dept have been working on for the last 9 months or so...

mouthful wrote: »
    Why are they not closing the early years settings- if the schools are not safe then it is difficult to believe that a serious error is not being made

Norma was asked this today and spluttered an answer that made no sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

the report about lvl 5 not being possibly good enough to stop the spread is concerning but the report still confuses me here

"In the letter, Dr Holohan said NPHET had specifically considered reopening schools and was of the view they should reopen as planned.

However, he said NPHET noted that the high levels of community transmission would be a risk to the continued operation of primary and secondary schools unless the levels of transmission could be addressed."

So from reading that my guess is "if we're not under X amount of cases a day, we would be going back to online?

also this:
    "Dr Holohan said there was a very considerable risk that the continued protection of the core priorities of protecting the vulnerable, ensuring the provision of non-Covid 19 health services, providing safe childcare and keeping schools open would be jeopardised in the short term."

Jerpardiesed? As in they won't be able to open by the 11th im guessing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I didn’t get the early years decisions either. I guessed maybe because some are linked with crèches

NPHET just confirmed they’ve completely lost control. They can’t confirm the cases fast enough and there’s over 4K of a backlog already. Close contacts 14 day isolation no test because they’re overwhelmed. schools won’t function with that. Most teachers I know were back on day 8 after the second test. There won’t be enough cover

This is the modern version of the contact tracing "glitch" we had around Halloween. Pretty much thrown in the towel now having firstly reduced testing to just the one test and now no testing at all for close contacts. No ****ing way schools are fully opening if opening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

This is the modern version of the contact tracing "glitch" we had around Halloween. Pretty much thrown in the towel now having firstly reduced testing to just the one test and now no testing at all for close contacts. No ****ing way schools are fully opening if opening at all.

But from the NPHET letter;

The NPHET today gave specific consideration to the reopening of schools next week. The NPHET was of the view that schools should reopen as planned. However, the NPHET did note that the high and rising levels of community transmission will become a risk to the ongoing provision of education at
    primary and secondary level unless these levels of transmission can be addressed. NPHET will continue to review this issue over the coming weeks.

I think we will be back on the 11th. They are saying we should open and that they'll review this 'over the coming weeks'. I don't understand it to be honest. But I think that paragraph is all MM and Norma need to give schools the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

You'd have to be an idiot to think that:
    1. Kids cannot get the virus.
    2. Kids cannot spread the virus.

All of the evidence suggest otherwise.
    HOWEVER
    There are safeguards in place that ARE effective ASSUMING the spread of the virus is not out of control in the community (as it is now and probably will be for the next week or two)
    I do believe that secondary schools are a higher risk for numerous reasons, but again, dependant on spread within the community.
    Keeping schools closed/remote while we have cases in the 1000+ per day range is not a bad thing until things come back under control.

I think 1000 cases per day is the point at which testing and tracing becomes pretty much pointless and if this is the case that last thing you want is schools open.

There's very little "evidence" behind some of the general decisions being made globally but logic has to be followed in the absense of it.
    If the "new" strain is as different as they say it is then the status of schools will need to be reviewed.

Misread your initial post - missed the part about community transmission - thought you ment safe regardless. The pitfalls of speed reading or else too much time on this thread. 😀

No more being tested If your a close contact. You assume your positive and isolate

They can not keep up with testing

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭alentejo

Schools should reopen on the 11th of Jan.

If not, they should open asap and or face an additional month during the summer. We cant deprive children of an education. Full stop!

Confirmed at the NPHET briefing that there is currently a backlog of 4000+ cases yet to be included in the daily figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭vid36

Testing and tracing system already feeling the strain and we are not even factoring in the new year celebrations. If time is lost, I agree it should be made up later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭C__MC

Given the relatively low numbers in some counties , would be foolish to keep schools closed

• Advertisement

School closures are a must in areas with high levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

alentejo wrote: »

If not, they should open asap and or face an additional month during the summer. We cant deprive children of an education. Full stop!

Honestly? Unless you are being sarcastic, that post is fùcking nonsense.

Just after reading Norma on rte, oh well good luck to all involved. Politics at it's best.

Anyway Happy New year for everyone, hopefully 2021 will be better
    Stay safe, stay sane and sayonara all. Enjoy the night folks.

Guaranteed some of the flutes mouthing off about the right to education blah, blah, blah are the same flutes who landed us in this sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

alentejo wrote: »

Are you really serious? If there is a full level 5 lockdown schools should be closed during this period of lockdown....Children do not have to be deprived of education...all it takes is co-operation from students/teachers/parents ....online education can work....
    The new strain of virus is here in this country and as far as I'm aware children are at risk ...
    Why should teachers/children face another additonal month during the summer...is everyone else going to make time in their workplace? Teachers have/are doing a great job during difficult times....

But they're still part of the problem if they reopen amid thousands of cases per day.

They are not going to though.........

Again, I'll say it again, but there's very little chance schools will be open on the 11th given the current numbers and timeline involved. At best it will be targetted classes in schools only. At worst it will be fully online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

What teacher's are paid during lockdowns? Covid19 payment or a full wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

j@utis wrote: »

Well during the last lockdown we were working so I'll let you guess. By Covid payment do you mean PUP? If so, the U stands for unemployed which I wasn't as I was wfh like everyone else who was wfh.

j@utis wrote: »

Generally full wage for permanent staff.

• Advertisement

Happy New Year to ye all, teachers, parents, both, others, wums whatever hat ye are wearing.
    Things could have been worse this year (yes - they could) and I am sure were worse for many amongst us but 2021 will be a better year and if it's not, just remember where you are and when you are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement