Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

khalessi wrote: »
    Well during the last lockdown we were working so I'll let you guess. By Covid payment do you mean PUP? If so, the U stands for unemployed which I wasn't as I was wfh like everyone else who was wfh.

My son was in junior infants last year, now in senior, there was not much of wfh from their teachers part because of their age. Handy hugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i very much doubt the teacher unions will allow teachers to go back on the 11th and this time, I would agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

j@utis wrote: »
    My son was in junior infants last year, now in senior, there was not much of wfh from their teachers part because of their age. Handy hugh.

For some maybe, but at the end that says nothing. Coming from a parent with not great relationship with school. There should've been national plan in work for all schools, coming from DOE, schools would adapt. Is there any? No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Sorry to hear that, I had senior kids in 6th and worked my ass off. Did you mention it when schools returned? For my kids the school sent out a survey regarding online at the end of the year and I gave them the positives and negatives of the whole thing.

kippy wrote: »
    Happy New Year to ye all, teachers, parents, both, others, wums whatever hat ye are wearing.
    Things could have been worse this year (yes - they could) and I am sure were worse for many amongst us but 2021 will be a better year and if it's not, just remember where you are and when you are.

Happy New Year to you too Kippy. I hope for everyone that posts on here you, your families and friends stay safe and have a better 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Whats peoples thoughts on keeping preschool and creches open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Latest NPHET letter says current restrictions may not be enough to get things under control.
    Scares me to wonder what the alternatives are/could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Acey10 wrote: »
    Whats peoples thoughts on keeping preschool and creches open?

Personally from memory of preschool they are not much different to schools. Lower numbers yes but environment is pretty much the same. I dont see the logic in keeping them open if schools are closed.

However the school decision was just a delay. Perhaps if they continue to stay close or indeed go on line a decision on preschools and creches might be made then.
    But the fall out of creche closures will be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What teacher's are paid during lockdowns? Covid19 payment or a full wage?

Y.A.W.N

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

jrosen wrote: »
    I’m just so angry today. People are idiots. I can not believe the amount of people I am seeing on social media still mixing.

I had a horrific experience today in a supermarket which I won't name.

No staff on the tills wearing masks. Had them hanging off their ears and if they got up from the till they put them on, but sitting at the till, no masks.

Perspex screen around them fair enough, but they are still touching all of my items as they scan them. The staff in this supermarket are extremely friendly so they are talking to me all the time (I'm trying to strike the balance between being short enough with my answers but not too rude at the same time) so they are releasing droplets onto my shopping.

Going to be honest and say that I was a scaredy cat to confront the manager in the shop about it. Pathetic I know. So I went home and phoned their customer service to enquire about their policy. Staff were following the shop rules (as I expected they were)

I'm a bit confused. Am I being over the top or should they be wearing masks at the tills?

I know this has nothing to do with schools so I'll apologise in advance, but the Covid thread is so busy that posts get lost in there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I had a son in junior infants and I’m a secondary school teacher myself. I ended up messaging her saying I couldn’t keep up and would make up the time with him later. I was getting 6-8 video clips a day and multiple activities to do with him.

And this is the problem. The Department have again copped out by not standardising the expectations. So some parents will be happy, some students will be happy and likewise some students and parents will be unhappy

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I had a horrific experience today in a supermarket which I won't name.

No staff on the tills wearing masks. Had them hanging off their ears and if they got up from the till they put them on, but sitting at the till, no masks.

Perspex screen around them fair enough, but they are still touching all of my items as they scan them. The staff in this supermarket are extremely friendly so they are talking to me all the time (I'm trying to strike the balance between being short enough with my answers but not too rude at the same time) so they are releasing droplets onto my shopping.

Going to be honest and say that I was a scaredy cat to confront the manager in the shop about it. Pathetic I know. So I went home and phoned their customer service to enquire about their policy. Staff were following the shop rules (as I expected they were)

I'm a bit confused. Am I being over the top or should they be wearing masks at the tills?

I know this has nothing to do with schools so I'll apologise in advance, but the Covid thread is so busy that posts get lost in there

I think all staff in retail and food outlets should be wearing masks from the moment they step on the premises. That's what is expected in our school and I think it's the correct thing.

I had a son in junior infants and I’m a secondary school teacher myself. I ended up messaging her saying I couldn’t keep up and would make up the time with him later. I was getting 6-8 video clips a day and multiple activities to do with him.

And this is the problem. The Department have again copped out by not standardising the expectations. So some parents will be happy, some students will be happy and likewise some students and parents will be unhappy

Always say you cannot suit everyone. No matter what a school and/or teacher does someone will find fault. If the DES took their heads out of the sand and issued proper expectations for both schools and parents/students then this wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I think all staff in retail and food outlets should be wearing masks from the moment they step on the premises. That's what is expected in our school and I think it's the correct thing.

I feel the same. I'm trying to decide whether or not it is worth a letter to head office.

This supermarket chain, they are in Ireland and UK and their helpline covers both countries, so this is their policy in UK too, which is even more out of control than here (at the time of writing this anyway)

The biggest issue with lockdown homeschooling is, it obviously is not like school schooling ifywim.

I think what we were doing in term 1 this year, more closely resembles home schooling in that, because of all the hand washing protocols there is only time to teach English Irish Maths and one other subject a day.

During lockdown 1, children whose schools were engaging (and whose students engaged with schools) were sending home 5 hours of solid work a day, at least the stuff I saw my 6th sending home (eyewatering tbh) and what I received from my kids school, although on a weekly list was timetabled out each day as if they were in school, which is not suitable.

Expectations have to change somewhat and this is where we needed the DES to step in and bring a balanced level into it. Some schools sent too much some not enough.

DES should have consulted with henIreland.org and educational experts to come with a balanced approach.

Realistically some parents seem to be under the impression that online/remote/home schooling should mean 5/6hrs of interaction/work. That isn't a normal school day even in school. Once again back to realistic expectations on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

No doubt you'll be rushing off to retrain and get in on our cushty number. Sub shortage where I am, you'll be welcomed in!

Realistically some parents seem to be under the impression that online/remote/home schooling should mean 5/6hrs of interaction/work. That isn't a normal school day even in school. Once again back to realistic expectations on both sides.

This is exactly it. I already know what I'll do if we go to remote teaching in Jan, I'll split my class and teach Irish/English/Maths live to each group every day. Not nearly as long as the full school day as they'd burn out.

I can do that because every child in my class has a device (and I have a school supplied one as well, without that it wouldn't happen) as well as broadband, space to work etc. I'm quite happy with that - kids progressed well with that approach in the previous lockdown - but that couldn't possibly work in every school or every class. The lack of standardisation (even a few templates) and clarity from the Department is so disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

I certainly didn’t have that issue. Parents gave me the impression that I was intruding on their home life by providing online classes, lessons etc. They couldn’t possibly be expected to do anything that would take longer than an hour.

Part of the issue is that some parents have no expectations of their children so would rather there was nothing to do. And others sat next to their child for the entire time so their child was doing nothing independently. That meant that any independent work I gave had them glued to their child’s side. No way to assess pupils, find levels for work etc as parents were spoon feeding them.

Parents wanted worksheets that were easy to complete and not any meaningful activity (participation was dreadful for any project etc work). Basically homework rather than school work. It’s why remote learning wasn’t successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I said this first time round and I guess I still have the same concerns now.
    If core subjects are all that’s covered so be it. But when school returns will there be a time to catch up! A time to do all the history/geography etc that was missed.
    Because much of my concern last time was how are kids going to catch up?

The expectation is the curriculum is covered for any given school year, so if those kids miss a chunk of a subject will that be allowed for the following school term. Will there be help/support for those students.

I think it’s more relevant for secondary students that may miss work but yet will be expected to sit an exam the following year.

I spoke to one teacher who said she spent all of September and October pulling kids back. So it was November before she started her material for that school year. Which puts her behind. Not her fault but her class will not have covered the work they would have under normal circumstances.

I would just hope allowances will be made if kids are home long term and the curriculum is limited to core subjects only.

I know running before I walk but just thinking ahead and wish the dept would also

• Advertisement

I think for primary that's less of an issue as we have a spiral curriculum - if they cover a topic like Light in a younger class, they'll come back to it again in a senior class. Personally if I were running the Department, I'd have the Home School Hub prepare History/Geography/Science lessons for individual class levels and put them on TV. Very hard to assign SESE work as remote learning ime and kids tend to 'burn out' quicker during live lessons, so I'd stick to the cores only for those.

Secondary school kids shouldn't be missing any science/geography etc work though, presumably each subject teacher will keep going? Very different ball game to primary though so that's purely a guess.

jrosen wrote: »
    I said this first time round and I guess I still have the same concerns now.
    If core subjects are all that’s covered so be it. But when school returns will there be a time to catch up! A time to do all the history/geography etc that was missed.
    Because much of my concern last time was how are kids going to catch up?

The expectation is the curriculum is covered for any given school year, so if those kids miss a chunk of a subject will that be allowed for the following school term. Will there be help/support for those students.

I think it’s more relevant for secondary students that may miss work but yet will be expected to sit an exam the following year.

I spoke to one teacher who said she spent all of September and October pulling kids back. So it was November before she started her material for that school year. Which puts her behind. Not her fault but her class will not have covered the work they would have under normal circumstances.

I would just hope allowances will be made if kids are home long term and the curriculum is limited to core subjects only.

I know running before I walk but just thinking ahead and wish the dept would also

I highly doubt if we end up online that it'll be cor more than 2/3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I presume the JC won't go ahead?

Listening to Philip Nolan around 49 minutes of NPHET briefing tonight

Would you be advising to keep the schools closed... even longer? (Journalist)

Dr. Nolan replies in a very shaky hesitant voice

" No..no.. when I say no that is not the purpose of my position to offer that kind of advice, that is a matter for NPHET as a whole, having considered the data to offer that advice. The reason for showing that data is essentially it is the one piece of information that is a bit of good news, that we have in the data at the moment is that children seem to remain protected even through this third wave.

We need to look very carefully at the amount the children are being tested, so we need to verify that, ehm but kind of epidemiological information would be important for NPHET to consider in providing any further advice (stares meaninfully to his right where Dr Glynn and Dr Holohan are sitting) when that time comes.

Ok bear with me. My spidey senses have a few questions so just putiting this out there.

Firstly, third wave just starting here and kids on holidays from schools but going by UK and other research it is 50-70% more infectious in children and more transmissable.

Secondly, if they are not testing close contacts? How can they use it to ascertain true figures for schools or infections in children? School numbers could incorrectly remain low.:confused::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,558 ✭✭✭✭kippy

khalessi wrote: »
    Listening to Philip Nolan around 49 minutes of NPHET briefing tonight

Would you be advising to keep the schools closed... even longer? (Journalist)

Dr. Nolan replies in a very shaky hesitant voice

" No..no.. when I say no that is not the purpose of my position to offer that kind of advice, that is a matter for NPHET as a whole, having considered the data to offer that advice. The reason for showing that data is essentially it is the one piece of information that is a bit of good news, that we have in the data at the moment is that children seem to remain protected even through this third wave.

We need to look very carefully at the amount the children are being tested, so we need to verify that, ehm but kind of epidemiological information would be important for NPHET to consider in providing any further advice (stares meaninfully to his right where Dr Glynn and Dr Holohan are sitting) when that time comes.

Ok bear with me. My spidey senses have a few questions so just putiting this out there.

Firstly, third wave just starting here and kids on holidays from schools but going by UK and other research it is 50-70% more infectious in children and more transmissable.

Secondly, if they are not testing close contacts? How can they use it to ascertain true figures for schools or infections in children? School numbers could incorrectly remain low.:confused::cool:
    There's no need for Spidey senses, fairly obvious what will happen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Made me hate teachers even more.

Anyone know if kids sports are also cancelled, gaa and soccer training outside school

Anyone know if kids sports are also cancelled, gaa and soccer training outside school

Yet you come here to ask a question.

I think it depends on the age group, best check with their clubs or coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

All team sport and training is cancelled. Individual training allowed only regardless of age.

Did a teacher say a mean thing to you? Bold teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Wtf are you on about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement