Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

What am I on about? Teachers had a 6 month break and then another 2 week break at Xmas. And now they are looking for more days off. Kids don't spread corona virus. I know of kids stuck watching TV all day from Mar to sep. They need to be in school. And teachers are giving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

What am I on about? Teachers had a 6 month break and then another 2 week break at Xmas. And now they are looking for more days off. Kids don't spread corona virus. I know of kids stuck watching TV all day from Mar to sep. They need to be in school. And teachers are giving out.

If kids were watching tv March to September then their parents need to take a long hard look at themselves. Kids were meant to be remote learning till the end of June. The teachers were not on 6 months holidays and the teachers didn't order this school closure till 11th. You sound like a teenager having a tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Aww you poor, poor thing. Did you not get enough love as a child? Let us all give you a hug and make thing all better.

Go get a life and stop trying to get cheap likes.

And as for the TV watching, ohh my dear god the parents are lazy as sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

You sound like a teenager having a tantrum.

Or someone who doesn't want their kids under their feet again I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Kids don't spread corona virus.
    Dr David Nabarro, a World Health Organization COVID-19 expert, also warned yesterday that the new strain appears to be easily transmitted among children.
    https://extra.ie/2020/12/24/news/irish-news/new-covid-19-strain-schools

But what standing has he next to a boardsie poster called 2lazytogetup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

I’m seeing a lot of backlash on social media about the preschools staying open. It’s very strange that the preschool next to us will be open with 22 children per class, no social distancing or pods and 3 or 4 staff in each room who are advised not to wear PPE. I would presume that a lot of the children in the preschool have siblings (possibly in our school) who won’t be in school as they shouldn’t be mixing until the 11th. So why can the preschool children mix with 20 others then go home and spread anything to their siblings? I have worked in the ECCE sector so I know a bit about how it is run and I know that every precaution will be taken to prevent the spread but this just seems so ridiculous to me.
    I noticed that the statement said that these settings could open with extra safety measures but no information on what those were. Do the government actually expect extra safety measures to be implemented with 4 days notice over New Years?
    Early years providers really don’t need this stress and I think it’s a disgrace that the Government so obviously treat these professionals like glorified baby sitters
    Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

helpful wrote: »
    I’m seeing a lot of backlash on social media about the preschools staying open. It’s very strange that the preschool next to us will be open with 22 children per class, no social distancing or pods and 3 or 4 staff in each room who are advised not to wear PPE. I would presume that a lot of the children in the preschool have siblings (possibly in our school) who won’t be in school as they shouldn’t be mixing until the 11th. So why can the preschool children mix with 20 others then go home and spread anything to their siblings? I have worked in the ECCE sector so I know a bit about how it is run and I know that every precaution will be taken to prevent the spread but this just seems so ridiculous to me.
    I noticed that the statement said that these settings could open with extra safety measures but no information on what those were. Do the government actually expect extra safety measures to be implemented with 4 days notice over New Years?
    Early years providers really don’t need this stress and I think it’s a disgrace that the Government so obviously treat these professionals like glorified baby sitters
    Rant over

Well extra safety measurements were promised during midterm and didnt materalise on the floor, they have also slashed the PPE cleaning budget claiming it was a once off payment.

So I reckon they might row back on the budget slash as extra measure. I also think they are relying on fact that they think young children dont spread it, but 0-5 carry similar levels of the virus in their noses if not more than adults.

If you look at the daily reports, since the 18th, the last day of school for alot of children, the percentage associated with school going children has dropped a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If you look at the daily reports, since the 18th, the last day of school for alot of children, the percentage associated with school going children has dropped a good bit.

Nah just very few people went for tests Xmas eve Xmas day and few days after.

We'll know a lot more over the next few days as there is huge numbers coming.

I know you can't wait to say its the schools to all us plebs.

Strange post, why refer to people as plebs weird:confused:

https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1343611613182451712

• Advertisement

Shouldn't the percentage remain the same so regardless of the amount being tested? That's why I didn't quote numbers.

khalessi wrote: »
    Strange post, why refer to people as plebs weird:confused:

https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1343611613182451712

Sorry I'm just the pleb:)

Sorry I'm just the pleb:)

Still dont understand why you would call yourself a pleb:confused:

I heard them saying this on the news as a way of explaining the 4,000 backlog and to be honest, I would have found this explanation mildly comforting had it not been for the fact that in all those days that people weren't presenting for tests, the case numbers still remained way too high. Were there maybe 2 or 3 days over Xmas where the numbers were under a thousand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So the cleaning budget hasn't been slashed but rather the department has not included initial costs of buying PPE and other measures

Does this mean if schools have run out of funding for PPE gear and sanitizing spray etc that there is no additional funding?

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I heard them saying this on the news as a way of explaining the 4,000 backlog and to be honest, I would have found this explanation mildly comforting had it not been for the fact that in all those days that people weren't presenting for tests, the case numbers still remained way too high. Were there maybe 2 or 3 days over Xmas where the numbers were under a thousand?

Yes.

2 days in a row there were 700 cases because very few were turning up.

Then huge numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

To the best of my knowledge your threadban was never lifted. Week off the forum for breach of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Are public preschools closed where the school also has primary and secondary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So the cleaning budget hasn't been slashed but rather the department has not included initial costs of buying PPE and other measures

Does this mean if schools have run out of funding for PPE gear and sanitizing spray etc that there is no additional funding?

Can you clarify this? I’m still seeing a 40% cut in cleaning costs, not PPE (which has been correctly reduced IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm keeping my child out of creche this week. I know I'm lucky that have that choice but really madness government saying they are to open when schools are not too.

Our creche have been amazing + only had 1st case recently.

Not fair on them to have to open when such a mess at the moment, if they have outbreak hse will be useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/norma-foley-braced-for-a-fresh-wave-of-covid-cases-when-schools-reopen-39919685.html

What manner of headline is that.

Norma Foley braced for a fresh wave of covid cases when schools reopen.

What batientes to "schools are safe"?

They also say they haven't cut funding because the term is shorter so they're reducing it from €25 per pupil in primary to only €15 and from €40 for post primary students to €24. Is the term 40% shorter?

School staff have an incredibly difficult year ahead of them and I don't envy them the challenges they face. It must be terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Are public preschools closed where the school also has primary and secondary

I saw an article just now saying all preschools will close now also.

See the amount of positive swabs today?
    Nearly 5700
    Positivity rate of 20.7%

Sincerely doubt we will be fully back in the school buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

All London primary schools to close until at least 18 January.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1345062334218297346

See the amount of positive swabs today?
    Nearly 5700
    Positivity rate of 20.7%

Sincerely doubt we will be fully back in the school buildings.

Did you read the letter that CMO wrote to the govt on 30th Dec? Even the best-case scenario isn't good.

Link to full letter here and interesting bits of RTE article and letter attached in images.

https://www.rte.ie/documents/news/2020/12/letter-to-minister-for-health.pdf

537932.jpeg

537931.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

'Our health system will not continue to cope with this level of impact' Holohan says as 1,754 new Covid-19 cases confirmed

. Everyone needs to stay at home other than for essential work or care.”

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/our-health-system-will-not-continue-to-cope-with-this-level-of-impact-holohan-says-as-1754-new-covid-19-cases-confirmed-39922122.html

not a hope schools physically opening for a while at this rate....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

combat14 wrote: »
    'Our health system will not continue to cope with this level of impact' Holohan says as 1,754 new Covid-19 cases confirmed

. Everyone needs to stay at home other than for essential work or care.”

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/our-health-system-will-not-continue-to-cope-with-this-level-of-impact-holohan-says-as-1754-new-covid-19-cases-confirmed-39922122.html

not a hope schools physically opening for a while at this rate....

9000 cases in the system but not been reported yet.
    Again, schools repopening as normal on the 11th is not gonna happen - no matter what the politicians are saying now, Will be at least a week if not two of online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

kippy wrote: »
    9000 cases in the system but not been reported yet.
    Again, schools repopening as normal on the 11th is not gonna happen - no matter what the politicians are saying now, Will be at least a week if not two of online only.

It will.be a harsh lockdown for 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

But Norma said the schools will open on the 11th? And I was told they were safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

But Norma said the schools will open on the 11th? And I was told they were safe?

This type of posting leaves a lot to be desired. Are you a student or a teacher?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement