Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It will.be a harsh lockdown for 2 months

I don't see the schools being closed for 2 months but I do see a 6 weeks of relatively restrictive lockdowns elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But Norma said the schools will open on the 11th? And I was told they were safe?

In fairness I.dont think anyone knows much about the new strain. We are hitting record cases now, so back to old rules

kippy wrote: »
    I don't see the schools being closed for 2 months but I do see a 6 weeks of relatively restrictive lockdowns elsewhere.

If lucky, schools might open at start of feb.
    Confidence not high

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I can see that coming alright. The Government just have to check the bank account first.:)

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I can see that coming alright. The Government just have to check the bank account first.:)

Borrowing is cheap. No problems there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

This type of posting leaves a lot to be desired. Are you a student or a teacher?

Both

Belfunk wrote: »

Is a ward 8 kids? It's a misleading headline.

But keep the schools shut till we understand it more

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Is a ward 8 kids? It's a misleading headline.

But keep the schools shut till we understand it more

going completely off memory being a child in a ward back in the early 2000's frequently and i think I could recall around 8-12 beds depending on the rooms size? But im pretty sure the "ward" means the entire hallway (since each smaller sector is broken up by thin walls with the entire area open for ease of access) and if that's the case than that's a good 100+ beds

TTLF wrote: »
    going completely off memory being a child in a ward back in the early 2000's frequently and i think I could recall around 8-12 beds depending on the rooms size? But im pretty sure the "ward" means the entire hallway (since each smaller sector is broken up by thin walls with the entire area open for ease of access) and if that's the case than that's a good 100+ beds

That is massive if the case. Wonder why they didnt publish the ward size?

9m total pop for London so numbers would be better here.

But we still need to play safe here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

I would think at least until St Patrick`s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

That is massive if the case. Wonder why they didnt publish the ward size?

9m total pop for London so numbers would be better here.

But we still need to play safe here

yeah it's a bit all over the place but wards there could be different, I was in Crumlin so it could've changed around but I believe "ward" meant the entire hallway

TTLF wrote: »
    yeah it's a bit all over the place but wards there could be different, I was in Crumlin so it could've changed around but I believe "ward" meant the entire hallway

No I agree. Thinking of the hospital my dad was in, a ward is multiple rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yup ward is the entire hallway
    James had 7 siderooms and 4 rooms with 6 to 8 beds each in them

Crumlin is similar

One of the childrens wards in a London hospital has been cleared out to make an adult ICU, saw that earlier apparently

khalessi wrote: »
    One of the childrens wards in a London hospital has been cleared out to make an adult ICU, saw that earlier apparently

They have the O2 and NEC Birmingham still I.think

They have the O2 and NEC Birmingham still I.think

Cases in London being sent to Yorkshire too.

Really hope it doesnt get like that here

That makes sense, hospitals are pretty empty in alot of uk regions. But it opens the door to it spreading in new areas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Unfortunately there is a high probability that it will. Scary times ahead for everyone.

Unfortunately there is a high probability that it will. Scary times ahead for everyone.

Yep, it is definetly going that direction. The numbers are too big for it not too and we've been about a week too late to increase restrictions.

• Advertisement

Yep, it is definetly going that direction. The numbers are too big for it not too and we've been about a week too late to increase restrictions.

Anyone see the table on rte, over 5000 tested positive today but 1700 reported. Now some of the 5000 will go.down as duplicates but still not good.

Anyone see the table on rte, over 5000 tested positive today but 1700 reported. Now some of the 5000 will go.down as duplicates but still not good.

Yep, 9000 cases yet to be reported.......
    A portion of those will end up in hospital and a portion of that will end up in ICU....on top of the existing cases out there and all of that 9000s contacts etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What are people’s thoughts of a blended learning approach where say half numbers come in on a daily/rota basis? After say a closure of a few more days to increase the isolation period to 14 instead of 10. That way children would get in for at least some time, there would be more room for distancing, and the impacts of school closures would be greatly lessened.
    I understand if the test & trace system is overwhelmed, schools will probably need to wait until it’s up and running again though.

What are people’s thoughts of a blended learning approach where say half numbers come in on a daily/rota basis? After say a closure of a few more days to increase the isolation period to 14 instead of 10. That way children would get in for at least some time, there would be more room for distancing, and the impacts of school closures would be greatly lessened.
    I understand if the test & trace system is overwhelmed, schools will probably need to wait until it’s up and running again though.

I think looking at UK, and our numbers, it is too early for that and like you say test and trace needs to up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Any teachers here with any inside word on updates?

The schools simply can't re-open in January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Teachers never have an inside word, we usually hear updates and rumours via Carl O'Brien in the IT, followed by Six One, then a few days later NF writes to school management.

The days where we know anything are well gone.

Assume schools won't be open in Jan. I don't really know why people need a level of certainty around this..the situation is very fluid at the moment and currently only going in one direction....

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Assume schools won't be open in Jan. I don't really know why people need a level of certainty.

Because parents need to sort childcare and not be left stranded last minute, Others want to know if they actually have work or not.

Its not just teachers/students effected by school closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Assume schools won't be open in Jan. I don't really know why people need a level of certainty around this..the situation is very fluid at the moment and currently only going in one direction....

Because right now some families have nowhere for their children to go. With many having already used annual leave to cover the 2 weeks holidays. I think it’s pretty obvious why people need some certainty. Remember march when government said schools would be back and they never were.
    People are panicked and it’s understandable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Keep an eye on the twitter accounts of the journalists and find out like we do. None of us have an "inside" line on anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement