Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

That's well for you. If I was in a position to just decide not to put my kids in creche for a week I wouldn't have them in creche in the first place!!!

Mine and my partners parents are in the midst of cancer treatments at the moment. We are both essential workers who cant work from home. Who do we get to mind our kids if the schools and creches are closed??

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm keeping my child out of creche this week. I know I'm lucky that have that choice but really madness government saying they are to open when schools are not too.

Our creche have been amazing + only had 1st case recently.

Not fair on them to have to open when such a mess at the moment, if they have outbreak hse will be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

E36Ross wrote: »
    Because parents need to sort childcare and not be left stranded last minute, Others want to know if they actually have work or not.

Its not just teachers/students effected by school closures.

The nation is in crisis....and getting worse.....I don't think people grasp the seriousness of this at the moment.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    That's well for you. If I was in a position to just decide not to put my kids in creche for a week I wouldn't have them in creche in the first place!!!

Mine and my partners parents are in the midst of cancer treatments at the moment. We are both essential workers who cant work from home. Who do we get to mind our kids if the schools and creches are closed??

Creches remain open currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What do ye do if s child has to be sent home from school sick?

This whole situation is an utter mess. DES stuck their heads in the sand and refused to put together anything other than what goes on normally. Their added safety measures are essentially wash your hands and say twelve decades of the rosary while crossing the hairs on your toes.

jrosen wrote: »
    Because right now some families have nowhere for their children to go. With many having already used annual leave to cover the 2 weeks holidays. I think it’s pretty obvious why people need some certainty. Remember march when government said schools would be back and they never were.
    People are panicked and it’s understandable
    People should be more panicked by the chances of picking up the disease at the moment and the impact it will have on health services over the coming weeks. Control the controllables is all I would say in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

kippy wrote: »

They have been advised to place priority of certain groups which is great for a family If they fall into that group but if you don’t. Then your child will not be a priority for care.
    We can accept it’s serious but what’s also serious is the financial commitments people have, mortgages, rents etx. The usual stuff that we all have to pay. It’s absolutely understandable that people are concerned because not everyone has the option to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It is a very difficult position to be in, and I empathise, both of my parents are getting cancer treatment too and it is a terrible situation for you both.

In the end it will not be up to teachers. I think what is coming down the line will be bigger than what we have seen so far, so everyone will have to cope as best as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wouldn't like to be a Leaving Cert student that's for sure
    Schools must certainly wont open
    Foley should just do the honourable thing Monday , meet with NPHET and give us 5-6 days to get ready for online teaching
    She tends to go missing though when the pressure comes on
    The online learning wont work, you'll have your 10 that will engage, 10 that come on and a remaining 10 on holidays of some sort
    But sure look we will give it a go.

Fell for exam years, JC is not that important long term and could be cancelled but LC. It can’t be allowed drag out again like it did last year.

I think most people can accept and come around to things once they are treated with respect and actually informed. But the drip feeding of information infuriates people. No one can plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

C__MC wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to be a Leaving Cert student that's for sure
    Schools must certainly wont open
    Foley should just do the honourable thing Monday , meet with NPHET and give us 5-6 days to get ready for online teaching
    She tends to go missing though when the pressure comes on
    The online learning wont work, you'll have your 10 that will engage, 10 that come on and a remaining 10 on holidays of some sort
    But sure look we will give it a go.

Scrap February mid-term, shorten Easter and add a couple of weeks at the end of the school year to compensate for the closure until February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭C__MC

vid36 wrote: »
    Scrap February mid-term, shorten Easter and add a couple of weeks at the end of the school year to compensate for the closure until February

I'd be happy enough with that, unfortunately some teachers tend to be touchy when traditional holidays are altered. Hence why get a good bashing in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Why is this not being shouted from the rafters by the media? The fact that there’s likely 5,000 cases a day and not 1,700. People need to know the actual gravity of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm only considering second level here but I really feel that exam classes need to be catered for, half the cohort and bring them in week on/week off. They should be more than capable of working on exam papers/homework/projects during their week at home. Also revisit accommodations made to papers already to allow for more flexibility. I admit it's not the most elegant solution but it's better than full online tuition. As numbers reduce we could then reintroduce the remaining yeargroups in the same pattern on a phased basis. Just a suggestion, but maybe something along these lines would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

C__MC wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough with that, unfortunately some teachers tend to be touchy when traditional holidays are altered. Hence why get a good bashing in the media.

Christ is there anything teachers aren’t blamed for :rolleyes: We get slated in the media as there is zero respect for teaching as a profession.

So are you advocating that no online teaching occurs so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Im just working under the assumption I'll be in school on the 11th somehow. Trying to figure out the logic with the department is an impossible task so i just assume the most idiotic decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

So are you advocating that no online teaching occurs so?

Of course, online teaching should happen but it needs to be supplemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm only considering second level here but I really feel that exam classes need to be catered for, half the cohort and bring them in week on/week off. They should be more than capable of working on exam papers/homework/projects during their week at home. Also revisit accommodations made to papers already to allow for more flexibility. I admit it's not the most elegant solution but it's better than full online tuition. As numbers reduce we could then reintroduce the remaining yeargroups in the same pattern on a phased basis. Just a suggestion, but maybe something along these lines would work.

The way my timetable has fallen (had a full timetable of exam years last year) I have no 3rds or 6ths this year, but if the above was suggested I would have no problem taking half a colleague's class group to do some on-site teaching if it were a case that we had reduced online contact hours with the class groups at home, if that makes sense.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Christ is there anything teachers aren’t blamed for :rolleyes: We get slated in the media as there is zero respect for teaching as a profession.

Observing my own cohort of friends, I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the only ones who seem to hate teachers are the ones that are not as sucessful as they'd hoped they would be in their own lives. One friend in particular never had a bad word to say about teachers until he suffered a pay cut in his own job.

Not mine. They emailed tonight saying they are closing until the 11th, a few hours after everyone paid for the month in advance

• Advertisement

What do ye do if s child has to be sent home from school sick?.

Outside of covid, leave work if we can or usually a grandparent does it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    The way my timetable has fallen (had a full timetable of exam years last year) I have no 3rds or 6ths this year, but if the above was suggested I would have no problem taking half a colleague's class group to do some on-site teaching if it were a case that we had reduced online contact hours with the class groups at home, if that makes sense.

To be honest i think we'd have to do full contact online teaching with the other year groups if they weren't in school. Prerecorded lessons maybe to allow for houses with limited devices/multiple school going kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I haven't read this whole thread but just listening to the news tonight and with the situation getting worse, I can't see my kids being back in school in January.

Im just working under the assumption I'll be in school on the 11th somehow. Trying to figure out the logic with the department is an impossible task so i just assume the most idiotic decision.

Post of the year and it's still only Jan 01st!

Of course, online teaching should happen but it needs to be supplemented.

I'll say for me it's one or the other. You cannot be expected to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Mine has decided to close next week too. Main issue being most staff have own kids in schools & work around school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

This has happened me too. After paying a month's fee, the childcare provider wrote to all parents yesterday saying they made the decision to extend closure. Hsve asked for a rebate on lost days or will deduct from next month. I Do have to go to work!

On extended school closure, if it continues, will be interested to see employers stance this time to staff with children at home needing help and care. Very hard to work from home with children at home, there was no let-up on video calls etc....work doesn't just go away...my memories of the last time are stressful!!

quote="DSN;115774072"]Mine has decided to close next week too. Main issue being most staff have own kids in schools & work around school hours.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Clouron wrote: »
    On extended school closure, if it continues, will be interested to see employers stance this time to staff with children at home needing help and care. Very hard to work from home with children at home, there was no let-up on video calls etc....work doesn't just go away...my memories of the last time are stressful

I know the feeling I found it hard wfh, teaching the last time online with my kids also needing teaching, they had to work away while I taught, as you said the work doesnt go away.

Terrible they took the money and then pulled the plug.

Hope for anyone stuck their employers are flexible.

• Advertisement

Terrible they took the money and then pulled the plug.

Hope for anyone stuck their employers are flexible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement